Oh gawd, now I need a new computer too........

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
I shot my first bit of video ever at 2.7k. When I loaded it up in GoPro Studio or VLC, the video stuttered and audio skipped in and out. At first I didn't know if it was just bad video or something else. All 5 videos I shot were the same. I put on the BacPac and could view the videos just fine.

Okay, I thought if I converted them to .avi in Studio things would improve. I typically convert to high but I tried one at high and one at medium (and removed fisheye if it matters). Even in .avi I couldn't really watch them until I turned the playback resolution to one quarter.

Now, I know my computer is old and it has a simple video card, but I didn't know if was THAT bad.

Now that I think about it, that computer is at LEAST 7-8 years old. I rarely do much fancy stuff on it so it is rarely an issue, but this was a bummer. I mean, my phone plays back video better than my computer! My wife has a noticeably newer laptop but it was a pretty simple machine when we got it and I can't get it away from her much anyway. My only working laptop is a simple little netbook, hardly a video processing powerhouse.

Ain't it great how in a hobby one things just leads to another......until your back account is nothing but crickets?

I'm going to go back to restoring old musclecars, at least I have all the tools I need for those. Except a drive on lift sure would be nice, and a bigger garage, with more storage and.....dammit.

I shot my first bit of video ever at 2.7k. When I loaded it up in GoPro Studio or VLC, the video stuttered and audio skipped in and out. At first I didn't know if it was just bad video or something else. All 5 videos I shot were the same. I put on the BacPac and could view the videos just fine.

Okay, I thought if I converted them to .avi in Studio things would improve. I typically convert to high but I tried one at high and one at medium (and removed fisheye if it matters). Even in .avi I couldn't really watch them until I turned the playback resolution to one quarter.

Now, I know my computer is old and it has a simple video card, but I didn't know if was THAT bad.

Now that I think about it, that computer is at LEAST 7-8 years old. I rarely do much fancy stuff on it so it is rarely an issue, but this was a bummer. I mean, my phone plays back video better than my computer! My wife has a noticeably newer laptop but it was a pretty simple machine when we got it and I can't get it away from her much anyway. My only working laptop is a simple little netbook, hardly a video processing powerhouse.

Ain't it great how in a hobby one things just leads to another......until your back account is nothing but crickets?

I'm going to go back to restoring old musclecars, at least I have all the tools I need for those. Except a drive on lift sure would be nice, and a bigger garage, with more storage and.....dammit.

Richnat, give you an example what I edit 4K on and it skips now and then:

5ghz octo core
32 gig RAM
Dual SLI 1060 video cards
Boot drive, OS, and apps running on Raided SSDs
Render to 4 10000rpm Raided velociraptors
Audio processed on a parallel machine running Pro-Tools
All feeding. 40" UHD Samsung

Bottom line start saving those pennies lol

Even in .avi I couldn't really watch them until I turned the playback resolution to one quarter.

What are the basic specs of your system? Processor, amount of memory, graphics card?

I have a dual Xeon workstation for 3D rendering, but I tried one of my 2.7k videos on a small Core I5 Intel NUC with 16 gigs of ram, and it played the video fine, no stuttering, no skipping of the audio.

It may be that you could just upgrade a component in your system, most likely ram or the video card.

Another thing to look out for is what codec you're saving the videos with. I typically render to h.264, which even integrated graphics processors (like in the NUC) can handle pretty well.

What are the basic specs of your system? Processor, amount of memory, graphics card?

I have a dual Xeon workstation for 3D rendering, but I tried one of my 2.7k videos on a small Core I5 Intel NUC with 16 gigs of ram, and it played the video fine, no stuttering, no skipping of the audio.

It may be that you could just upgrade a component in your system, most likely ram or the video card.

Another thing to look out for is what codec you're saving the videos with. I typically render to h.264, which even integrated graphics processors (like in the NUC) can handle pretty well.

Dell Inspiron
2.6gHz Pentium Dual Core
4gb of memory
Running Win10 64 bit

I remember I put a more powerful video card in it so I could run dual monitors but I don't remember the specs. I can look it up when I get home. How would I check to see what codec GP Studio is using? I would guess a memory upgrade would make sense, 4gb isn't much at all by today's standards. I know I upgraded the memory at some point (doubled it). Not sure how much the MB is capable of handling.

I'm right there with you rich, my issue is I use a Surface tablet at work and iPad pro at home.

Now with my GoPro and drone habit I can't edit my videos appropriately. The wife's laptop is a bare bones 3yr old unit that all video skips and sputters when it tries to render.

So what's a cheap desktop that would get me by, wife already wants to kill me over solo, batteries, MRO, etc...

Why oh why are there sooo many different video types? I spent days, trying to get one of my video's converted to a file format, that I could play on my Mom's little TV she has in the nursing home. I finally used the Go Pro Studio and "exported" it to a file for phone or tablet device. It was a much smaller file, and not near the quality of the original, but I could play it with no studdering, on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. And it did look better than what Solo sends to the tablet.

Dell Inspiron
2.6gHz Pentium Dual Core
4gb of memory
Running Win10 64 bit

Ok, I'm afraid no one thing is the bottleneck there. More memory might help, but it wouldn't be a night and day difference and the money is probably better put towards a new system.

In the mean time, try exporting your video to mp4 format with h.264 compression, and unless you really need the resolution for some reason, export to 1080 instead of 2.7k.

This is the biggest issue I have with consumers wanting to shoot anything beyond 1080.
First do you even have the hardware to process the files AND do you have a monitor for it.

A friend of mine was excited that his new Sony camera shoots 4k, then got annoyed realizing how
much more upgrades he'll have to do.

Ok, I'm afraid no one thing is the bottleneck there. More memory might help, but it wouldn't be a night and day difference and the money is probably better put towards a new system.

In the mean time, try exporting your video to mp4 format with h.264 compression, and unless you really need the resolution for some reason, export to 1080 instead of 2.7k.

Yes, I know the sytem is old and janky, just what I have. I do export to 1080.

I do export to 1080.

I'm not sure where the settings are in GoPro Studio, but try setting the following options for the output file:

1080p, 30 frames per second
H.264 compression
10 Mbps target bitrate
15 Mbps maximum bitrate

If that still won't play smoothly, drop the bitrates to 5 and 10 respectively.

Videos with these settings play fine on an Intel Compute stick I have on our TV, and that's an Atom processor, 2 gigs of ram and Windows 10, so almost surly slower/more modest than your system. And they stream over wifi, so that even removes disk performance from the equation.

I suspect GoPro Studio is exporting with extremely high quality settings to preserve as much info as possible since most probably go on to edit the files again in another program.

Can I apply a LUT via GoPro Studio?

Not sure, as I've never been able to get GoPro Studio to work on any computer I've tried, across 3 different versions of Windows, clean installs and all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig