GoPro Hero5 Black vs Hero 4Black - Quality & Sharpness

Reaction score
This was very surprising to me. Was thinking there would be a huge difference but not so much. Judge for yourself.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: SteveReno
Looks darn close to these old eyes on a 22" monitor, 1' away. If I had to choose one based on sharpness, I'd go with 4... maybe...

Wow, I'd say the 4 was sharper in almost all shots. There were one or two I'd give to the 5. A shot or two the color was a little washed out on the 4
Definitely not enough difference to run out and buy a new 5.

I'm looking at a 34' 2560X1680 I agree, H4B edge out the H5 in sharpness
It would have been easier, if test was recorded at a higher frequency like 4K @ 30fps instead of 1080 @ 24fps.
Did MicBergsma give his opinion? I think i know why..

Did MicBergsma give his opinion? I think i know why..
Mic makes his living off GoPro so while I understand him not outright mentioning it, I appreciate his honest and even handed side by side comparisons. Here is a side by side of the stabilization. Both of these videos are very interesting to me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I see no real discernible difference in quality. Well actually, the stabilized video has more shakes at times than the non and I'm not a fan of zooming in and losing pixels. Not impressed.

Software stabilization is hard to do correctly in camera. One of the few things DJI does a pretty good job of.

hero5 failed pretty miserably from an image quality perspective
2 years wait for the same sensor...gopro what happened, you used to be an industry-first when it came to the main course...now you're just focusing on the dessert.
anyone who's serious about their work on-the-go should look at Sony's latest offering (fdr-x3000r)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig