Gimbal freezes Gopro / Wifi issues

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and have learned a lot about the Solo, so thanks. I haven't had to post much... until now.

I just opened a ticket with 3DR. My problem is when I'm recording video, the feed quits and my H4B freezes. It started doing it occasionally, sometimes 10-15 mins in but now it won't record more than 15 secs.

I have a backup Solo also and cannot replicate problem with it--it records fine. I also cannot replicate the problem with the GoPro when it is recording without the solo either.

I have received the error message that Solo cannot find the gimbal a few times, but it was cleared after I restarted. I have also had the gimbal just die mid flight without the GoPro freezing, twice.

In addition to this, I have been having a hard time getting the Solo to throw wifi and it has become more of a problem as the video/gimbal issue progressed, enough so that when I went to download my log files tonight to send the ticket, the Solo wouldn't connect at all. I left my connection open and ten minutes later it connected.

All products are running the current software and the GoPro firmware. The SD card is fast enough and works well in the GoPro when not attached to the Solo. No mods.

Is this the cable issue I have read about? It doesn't usually freeze the GoPro though too, just cut the feed, right? That wouldn't explain the shitty wifi either?

Oh, an additional question: on my back up bird, the feed from the GoPro has setting listed on black bars on the top and bottom of view. It doesn't look this way on the bird in flight. See attached image.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1635.PNG
    IMG_1635.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum Fenti!

I'm not sure about your 1st issue, but when Solo has trouble finding the gimbal, ive found that removing the GoPro and then removing the battery from the GoPro for a few seconds clears up a number of weird issues.

If you go into GoPro setup and turn off the on screen display (OSD), the information on the screen will go away.

Welcome to the forum Fenti!

I'm not sure about your 1st issue, but when Solo has trouble finding the gimbal, ive found that removing the GoPro and then removing the battery from the GoPro for a few seconds clears up a number of weird issues.

If you go into GoPro setup and turn off the on screen display (OSD), the information on the screen will go away.

Thanks, Maddog. I feel a little sheepish about the OSD--in my defence though, I had it off from when I bought it and only saw the display after I had to reset the GoPro.

Taking the battery out has made a difference in how fast the GoPro/gimbal glitches, but eventually it still freezes, especially when I change any settings.

No word form 3DR yet. Anyone else here able to offer some advice?

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the Solo app on your phone.

Here's a thread that might help:
Waiting for Solo

Or you might need to do a stick calibration. Sometimes it fixes some really weird issues. You will need to download a program called "putty" to your computer. Then connect Solo wifi to your computer by turning on the Solo controller. Then find the Solo wifi on tour computer and connect.
Here are detailed instructions from there:
http://thepaperfile.com/public/3dr/calibration.sticks.windows.pdf

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the Solo app on your phone.

Here's a thread that might help:
Waiting for Solo

Or you might need to do a stick calibration. Sometimes it fixes some really weird issues. You will need to download a program called "putty" to your computer. Then connect Solo wifi to your computer by turning on the Solo controller. Then find the Solo wifi on tour computer and connect.
Here are detailed instructions from there:
http://thepaperfile.com/public/3dr/calibration.sticks.windows.pdf

Thanks again, Maddog.

I've reinstalled the app a few times hoping that would help. Again, the app and GoPro work just fine on my back up Solo.

I read the Waiting for Solo thread, but I'm not having the same problems. My controller finds the Solo right away. It has only said it cannot find the gimbal a few times and hasn't done it lately.

I had done a stick calibration just after I received the Solo and I went to run it again, but I cannot connect to the Solo wifi on my Macbook as I have done in the past.

3DR asked me to bypass the gimbal, which I did and I have a video feed but I'm unable to access any settings, record video or photos now, which is what triggered a freeze before. I connected the GoPro back through the gimbal and now I don't have access to the settings this way either.

I connected my GoPro to my back up Solo again to check and everything works perfectly.

Are you using the same controller with both Solo's?

If not, I'm wondering if the SD card inside the controller has come loose. Has 3DR mentioned it? Somebody wrote a thread on how to repair it. I'll look for it.

No, different controllers. They did not mention the SD card in the controller. This would cause a GoPro to freeze?

I don't know- just brainstorming.o_O

Thanks. No offense--I appreciate the suggestions--but is there a reason others haven't commented? I know there are some wizards on here. Surely someone has experience with this.

Thanks. No offense--I appreciate the suggestions--but is there a reason others haven't commented? I know there are some wizards on here. Surely someone has experience with this.
I don't know where they are.

Cmon smart guys- let's figure this out!

I don't know where they are.

Cmon smart guys- let's figure this out!

Thanks for trying to help out, Maddog. After some more troubleshooting with 3DR, they have determined the gimbal to be faulty and are going to send out a new one. I certainly hope this fixes the problem. Now to the issue with my backup Solo's gimbal vibrations. About to write another post asking for advice...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado