CONFIG_LENS_OEM = N

look guys. there are maybe 4 people in the world who know how to make/modify gopro firmware (an exaggeration). i've reached out to 3 people that i know have made custom gopro firmware for various companies. and i don't know what is goings on, but all of them tell me that they are no longer allowed to work on gopro firmware. Konrad is awol as well.

at this point i don't think this is going to happen. either live with pink eye, use the back-bone filter or send peau your gopro (don't forget the lube). also keep in mind that the added value for solving this problem is dwindling every day because of the imminent release of the hero5.

Reactions: Jubalr
look guys. there are maybe 4 people in the world who know how to make/modify gopro firmware (an exaggeration). i've reached out to 3 people that i know have made custom gopro firmware for various companies. and i don't know what is goings on, but all of them tell me that they are no longer allowed to work on gopro firmware. Konrad is awol as well.

at this point i don't think this is going to happen. either live with pink eye, use the back-bone filter or send peau your gopro (don't forget the lube). also keep in mind that the added value for solving this problem is dwindling every day because of the imminent release of the hero5.

well, Konrad kind of lost his way with the Hero 4 as it doesn't support autoexec.ash and all the so-called hacks for Hero 4 cameras are not really hacks, those are just commands send over wi-fi same way that GoPro official app communicates with the camera, all you can do with that is to set/change values (like EV, ISO,...) same way you can do already with the app, it's just another way to change those settings, nothing beyond that and nowhere near to what you could do with autoexec.ash.

the only guy that could really help you is the user "evilwombat", did you try to contact him ? he is the guy that originally wrote the hacks for Altiforce GPS GoPro Bacpac. When Hero 4 was introduced this company's business model failed as they relied on the autoexec.ash and "evilwombat" wrote override.sh (in place of autoexec.ash) which executed on a version of leaked firmware, this would open telnet session to gain root access where you could again issue those deep level commands.

this doesn't explain how Peau manage to do what they do because they don't replace firmware with leaked version so how do they get in on Hero4 I don't know. they either have a high level contact at GoPro or otherwise their solution is not a software hack but a hardware hack.

Up to Hero3+ I would believe it's possible to hack the vignetting mod, but not on Hero4.

Back in the days of Hero3, 3+ did anyone try to play with the vignetting control through autoexec.ash ? Did it work ?

t ia2 -vnc [s|v] [0|1] [0..3] [0..3]

mode = [v|s], v: video mode s: still mode
enable = 0:disable, 1:enable
tile = 0:64Hx64V, 1:64Hx128V, 2:128Hx64V, 3:128Hx128V
pattern = [0..3], hard-coded pattern

Has anyone looked.... does Peau simply add an internal filter in front of the image sensor? Just wondering out loud here. ;)

@pete yes, ew was one of the people i reached out to.

@Rich peau generates a firmware file for every gopro based on the serial # (using the txt file from the sd card). this is the same way that gopro does it if you wanted to update manually (that's why you have to provide a serial # before downloading). this custom firmware file has the flag disabled for the lens profile.

i've loaded custom firmware from both altiforce and another company. these custom firmware enable other functionality, but doesn't disable the lens profile. so obviously i approached both of them about hiring their devs to do the same thing except this time disable the lens profile. so many months later here we are. no one is allowed to do what i am asking for some unknown reason.

Reactions: SteveReno and pete
what happens when you upgrade to next version of firmware (as 3DR would require us to run latest GoPro firmware every time it's released) ?

i highly doubt that gopro will release anymore firmware updates for the Hero4. but if they did, it could break peau's lens removal process. you would then have the choice of having an incompatible gopro with solo or upgrading your gopro firmware and losing the lens profile fix. and if peau figures out the new gopro firmware lens profile, you would have to send your gopro back to them.

it doesn't get more exiting than this.

Frank - I'm fairly confident at least one of those people is under NDA/contract because they are the ones who made it for Peau. Had an interesting conversation with Peau on how they developed this. They hired "a gopro hacker". Not many around, and the one you named is the most famous and easiest to find.

i highly doubt that gopro will release anymore firmware updates for the Hero4. but if they did, it could break peau's lens removal process. you would then have the choice of having an incompatible gopro with solo or upgrading your gopro firmware and losing the lens profile fix. and if peau figures out the new gopro firmware lens profile, you would have to send your gopro back to them.

it doesn't get more exiting than this.
They claim it's firmware agnostic, but I don't know how that could be... I specifically asked them and they said any future firmware upgrades wouldn't affect their mod.

They claim it's firmware agnostic, but I don't know how that could be... I specifically asked them and they said any future firmware upgrades wouldn't affect their mod.
I was told the same thing.

Personally I think all of this supports the price that Peau charges. I know a lot of folks object to the high price when they know how cheap the actual lenses are, but if you consider how much time and energy would be required to duplicate what they've done, not to mention the hassle of physically replacing the lens and focusing it properly, then all of a sudden it doesn't seem so bad.

I'm sure the hacker they had to pay to develop this wasn't cheap either, so that adds to the cost of what they're charging. I don't poopoo what peau is charging anymore than I poopoo 3DR selling a drone that has maybe $260 in actual parts for $1000.

I read several places, That Peau has been working "Several months" to remove the "Pick eye" Via the net.
Hooking up your GP to your computer, Then peau would access it remotely to to remove the "Pick eye"
I don't think it's on top of there "To do list"

I dunno, think about it, if they could keep it secure and do it remotely how many people do you think would pay for it, that had done their own lens swap.
I bet a bunch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks