Anti-collision system

Sounds, like you guys are interested to a complete auto system that will shoot the video for you & not to worry about obstacles or barriers stopping you from getting that PREFECT shot!

That may happen in the future, far future?
I want t be part of the making of the video, not just a button pusher.
I want to be able to answer the question "How you did that" & not tell them 3DR really didn't & just paid for the system.
I want to make it my own.

@erikgraham, Easy fix, just preview your video section/path virtually & physically.

If there is a shot were your Solo will have problems,Tree, Wall, snakes! just stop & retake the shot from a different angle. No penalty for splicing digital video together to make it better. I'm sure the subject wouldn't mind re-doing the shot one more time "take 2"
Please don't kick me, I bruise easily.
just my way of thing on this subject.
Sure. Of course we do multiple takes. Sometimes over many days. And we certainly cut up the footage and splice it together. But there are some shots we don't even attempt that *might* be possible with obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: Joe Horn
I've seen a number of videos of drone racers flying at high speed through buildings, forests, etc. using just FPV cameras.
They don't have collision avoidance technology so why can't Solo do similar flying?

Object avoidance might make it easier to catch dramatic footage skimming just above a surface, e.g. the dry creek bed in this 43-second snippet:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Currently you have to be eagle-eyed to do this, not looking at the video feed (which doesn't give enough clues regarding exact height above the ground) but rather closely watching both the Solo and its shadow (that's one good way to get really close to the ground without crashing). Perhaps if Solo could prevent itself from colliding with the ground as it skims the surface, you could fly even closer, without staring at the shadow in a constant state of near-panic.

Forgive the lack of ND filter... this was just an experimental flight. My dream is to make a video that replaces the Death Star trench with a dry riverbed, and the X-Wing with a Solo. The photon torpedo accessory is still on the drawing board.
Well done Joe, but it goes back to my point about pilot ability, and when and how the system would take control over what the pilot was trying to do. It certainly wouldn't have allowed this pilot to make this flight...

Reactions: Maddog
I've seen a number of videos of drone racers flying at high speed through buildings, forests, etc. using just FPV cameras.
They don't have collision avoidance technology so why can't Solo do similar flying?
To answer your question is this. I've seen a number of people who fly their drones around the object in circle, so why we need a feature like "orbit"? Like i said, im not begging for feature like obstacle avoidance (i do beg for 30 minutes fly time tho, please 3DR read this forum) but, it is nice to know it is there. I can avoid obstacle by myself, but if there is a feature that can make it easier, count me in. People can do orbit by themself, but if there is a feature that can make it easier, it become a point plus for the product. After all, all the drones do is fly, feature that make them diffrent. Range, autonomous flight, speed, obstacle avoidance, fly time, gps accuracy, dll

Sounds, like you guys are interested to a complete auto system that will shoot the video for you & not to worry about obstacles or barriers stopping you from getting that PREFECT shot!

That may happen in the future, far future?
I want t be part of the making of the video, not just a button pusher.
I want to be able to answer the question "How you did that" & not tell them 3DR really didn't & just paid for the system.
I want to make it my own.

@erikgraham, Easy fix, just preview your video section/path virtually & physically.

If there is a shot were your Solo will have problems,Tree, Wall, snakes! just stop & retake the shot from a different angle. No penalty for splicing digital video together to make it better. I'm sure the subject wouldn't mind re-doing the shot one more time "take 2"
Please don't kick me, I bruise easily.
just my way of thing on this subject.
To get a perfect shot by some feature is not what im after, simply just to prevent me doing something stupid, people can makes mistake, its nice if my tool can correct me, bcs i want to make a living from aerial videography and im not planning crashing it anytime soon. This drone's price itself already drain out my pocket

You might want to read Eric's article on how the system worked at CES with the tracker balls. In short, what you saw from the Yuneec and its CES announcement wasn't entirely real (or affordable to mere mortals).
"The tracking system used in he demo is likely around 6,000 times more precise, sampling 36 to 360 times more often, and that kind of precision in tracking is very likely why the Typhoon H in the demo is moving with such agility."
Dammit yuneec, it is make sense now

If you watch, they always fly forwards. I can manage that to follow from behind. But the FPV racers never fly sideways or backwards, and of course they don't need to do that while flying smooth and keeping a moving target in frame.

Well done Joe, but it goes back to my point about pilot ability, and when and how the system would take control over what the pilot was trying to do. It certainly wouldn't have allowed this pilot to make this flight...
Charpu is amazing, but he crashes a lot. We just don't get to see that - he brings tons of spare parts and fixes everything in the field. I think there is a making of video for that one you posted. Or maybe another one that shows some epic crashes. Once he gets dialed in on an area though, he does amazing stuff and always at full throttle.

Thanks guys! I was just trying to get an idea of why they can do what they do but it seem harder with Solo.:D

more expensive but trust me, when the shit hits the fan. cuz it will... 3dr support is WAY better than DJIs.

I had a crash, motorpod had failed and 3rd is replacing everything.. solo, props, battery.. even the gopro itself.
Thats nothing something DJI would do... i mean the cheapest I've seen my friend get a repaid is $99 service over at dronefly.
3DR really knows how to support its community and I appreciate that.

The only issue I have is there is no option for an extended warranty at this time

This is the most important issue in this whole string. CUSTOMER SERVICE. I predicted that 3DR would step up and replace your solo and anything else damaged by this unfortunate failure. Nice work 3DR!!!! Here is to flying into the future!!!!!

Reactions: erikgraham
Right. But not actually available yet...

Points made by seasoned vets of tech conferences make a good point about technology announcements coming to fruition. However, my best recommendation is to follow the money. Players like Intel can assist companies to bring products to market faster.

Reactions: erikgraham
Points made by seasoned vets of tech conferences make a good point about technology announcements coming to fruition. However, my best recommendation is to follow the money. Players like Intel can assist companies to bring products to market faster.
Excellent point. And with that in mind, as 3DR CEO Chris Anderson posted a few days ago... Dronecode announces Qualcomm as Platinum member

There have been so many drone announcements that never make it to market. It's not worth reacting to them until the drone is actually released.

The Solo will get optical flow for indoor flying soon. I would not be surprised if it also gets obstacle avoidance at some point.
How soon
There have been so many drone announcements that never make it to market. It's not worth reacting to them until the drone is actually released.

The Solo will get optical flow for indoor flying soon. I would not be surprised if it also gets obstacle avoidance at some point.
How soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44