Actually, Solo weight and its H frame is good for landing in strong wind

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Regardless that I had video feed issue, last weekend I managed to fly my Solo for fun up to 5 batteries, purely visual most of the time. I managed to do a simple 2 stop cable cam for test sake, the gimbal control is simply awesome indeed.

I also flew my Phantom 4.

It was decently windy 10-15 knots as such we can tell that when Solo is landing into ( against ) the wind, its stern-azz has to lift up higher than its nose.

I managed to test 2 versions of landing. 1st is into the wind and wind from 9 o'clock, both with Solo and P4.
The P4 since it is X frame, equal distance of all props to mid center, I see potential flip if the wind picks up say 5 knots extra, regardless into the wind or wind from the side, if landing is "polite" . By polite means I will let it touch the ground slowly instead of 'harder" by cutting power suddenly from 15cm. If polite landing, for some reason I dont understand, the P4 will make the props apply power a bit upon touch down and it nearly flipped my P4.

Overall distance motors to motors mid center of P4 left to right is actually not much shorter than a Solo.
However, Solo landing legs touch points is much wider left to right, in respect to its motors distance mid center left to right side compared to P4. If this is a KungFu Panda analogy, Solo has a better defense stance against flipping ...LOL.

8stances_horse.jpg

I landed both Solo and P4 on wooden pier, not on sand or earth/grass. I suppose bounce possibility is higher on a hard wooden pier.

The Solo being heavier if one land against a strong wind, this H frame a Solo is, it is longer too between props to props of front and rear ones... it will take much stronger wind to flip a Solo . If I land with wind on the side, the extra weight of the Solo is advantage, I do not see its reaction of near flipping like my P4.

NOTE 1 : I land manually.
NOTE 2 : I always hoover at approx 60 and 30cm above ground for a while to stabilize the barometer, before I do real landing.

So if wind is really strong, surely landing into the wind is better for flip prevention :)

P2P has an excellent article on landing.
Recognizing, avoiding, and responding to botched landings

If only Solo can do real 18-20 minutes flight, it will be awesome.
I don't use my P4 anti collision feature yada yada, its not important for me..but I do envy P4 battery life.

Safe flying guys...

Reactions: Acroduster
Hi, I bought two solos but can't get the range I would like. I am looking at a Phantom 4 for so I can get extra distance.

From someone with real world experience with both, would you recommend having both "breeds in the stable"?

I use FPVLR 2.0 antenna for 3DR Solo. It has given me 1.5 KM easy and that is way out of Line Of Sight .. :)
But this is based on very very low or no other wifi interference , me flying at remote area.

See this :
Best After Market Solo Antenna

Phantom4 with its stock antenna can do 1.5KM easy, that I have tested a few times.
Its uses the special frequency hopping for its video and it is good.
Solo uses regular wifi with no frequency hopping.
So with areas of higher wifi interference, I think DJI will win by a good margin.

No matter how much I love my Solo, I have to admit DJI video transmission technology is very good.
However since I don't do max long range much on Solo, I am super happy with that FPVLR 2.0.

I am not a brand slave, each drone has its own strength and weakness.
Solo is a true video drone in capable hand.

Best u own both :) as price is getting less and less today for Solo and Phantom4.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am wanting more distance and I am looking to get a Phantom 4 or Mavic. I am not a brand slave either, I bought the Solo because of the great price and really like the Solo but find myself wanting more out of the machine after numerous RTH after signal losses.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am wanting more distance and I am looking to get a Phantom 4 or Mavic. I am not a brand slave either, I bought the Solo because of the great price and really like the Solo but find myself wanting more out of the machine after numerous RTH after signal losses.
How much distance are you looking for?

I live in a high wifi area and get poor range with the stock Solo antennas. I switched to the FPVLR and have gone as far as 4000' before I decided to return.

I don't fly at long ranges but like the ability to "punch-through" interference, trees, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig