Anti-collision system

Reaction score
will solo have anti-collition system which is very cool IMO? I mean xiro xplorer 2 just confirm it @ CES 2016 that it will be standard feature. Yuneec thypoon H too. Will solo have it? Or we must wait until solo 2 release? And Xiro xplorer 2 claim that they have 40-30 minutes fly time just with 1 battery

Ps. I know that solo is called a future proof drone. But whats the poin having a future proof drone when there is no breakthrough development that proofing the statement? Come on 3dr. Even xiro (which is cheap) have that killer feature + 1 km range stock! 1 km range & 40 minutes fly time??? Looks like its my bad to buy a 2015 released drone in 2016. What do you think fellow 3dr pilots?

Last edited:
will solo have anti-collition system which is very cool IMO? I mean xiro xplorer 2 just confirm it @ CES 2016 that it will be standard feature. Yuneec thypoon H too. Will solo have it? Or we must wait until solo 2 release? And Xiro xplorer 2 claim that they have 40-30 minutes fly time just with 1 battery

Ps. I know that solo is called a future proof drone. But whats the poin having a future proof drone when there is no breakthrough development that proofing the statement? Come on 3dr. Even xiro (which is cheap) have that killer feature + 1 km range stock! 1 km range & 40 minutes fly time??? Looks like its my bad to buy a 2015 released drone in 2016. What do you think fellow 3dr pilots?
There have been so many drone announcements that never make it to market. It's not worth reacting to them until the drone is actually released.

The Solo will get optical flow for indoor flying soon. I would not be surprised if it also gets obstacle avoidance at some point.

There have been so many drone announcements that never make it to market. It's not worth reacting to them until the drone is actually released.

The Solo will get optical flow for indoor flying soon. I would not be surprised if it also gets obstacle avoidance at some point.
Actually it is already released. And amen to that obstacle avoidance at some point. But then again we must buy an add-ons just to compete with somethings other drones already have. Also i dont know what 3dr will do to improve fly time. And the worst part is... 3dr solo does cost much more expensive and i just bought it last week + 4 batteries

Actually it is already released. And amen to that obstacle avoidance at some point. But then again we must buy an add-ons just to compete with somethings other drones already have. Also i dont know what 3dr will do to improve fly time. And the worst part is... 3dr solo does cost much more expensive and i just bought it last week + 4 batteries
Are you sure it's released? Where can you buy it?

Well to increase flight time, they would sell a bigger battery. Highly doubt they will get to 40 minutes though.

Not every drone will have every feature. If you want the drone for video and film work, then the Solo with its expanding list of smart shots is the best option, even without obstacle avoidance. For what I do, 15 or 20 minutes of flight time is plenty. Normally I set up the shot and get the angles down with one battery, land, swap in a fresh battery, and then go get the shot (which may only be a couple minutes of flight time). I'm looking forward to the new ability to save smart shots for later.

So for what I do, the Solo works well. Especially since I can swap out 3 different cameras with 3 different lenses.

If you are a distance guy, or just want to poke around and explore, and camera quality (and flexibility) is not as important to you, then the Solo might not be the best option.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to think about the trade offs. For example, is obstacle avoidance a more important feature to you than smart shots? For me the answer is no.

You also have to consider that some drones can check the boxes for certain features, but the implementation isn't great. For example, using third party software you can now do some of the smart shots on a Phantom... but they just aren't quite as smooth.

Well to increase flight time, they would sell a bigger battery. Highly doubt they will get to 40 minutes though.

Not every drone will have every feature. If you want the drone for video and film work, then the Solo with its expanding list of smart shots is the best option, even without obstacle avoidance. For what I do, 15 or 20 minutes of flight time is plenty. Normally I set up the shot and get the angles down with one battery, land, swap in a fresh battery, and then go get the shot (which may only be a couple minutes of flight time). I'm looking forward to the new ability to save smart shots for later.

So for what I do, the Solo works well. Especially since I can swap out 3 different cameras with 3 different lenses.

If you are a distance guy, or just want to poke around and explore, and camera quality (and flexibility) is not as important to you, then the Solo might not be the best option.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to think about the trade offs. For example, is obstacle avoidance a more important feature to you than smart shots? For me the answer is no.

You also have to consider that some drones can check the boxes for certain features, but the implementation isn't great. For example, using third party software you can now do some of the smart shots on a Phantom... but they just aren't quite as smooth.
Well actually im doing well with all that solo have now. Im never going far above 500m, so its not necessary to have a 1km fpv ability. And about the flight time, like i said i just bought 3 extra battery + that came with solo, so its 1 hour flight time for me, and that is enough(its nice if i can get more tho). And about the obstacle avoidance, actually i will be happy to have it, i like the follow me feature and use it a lot, but it always frightening me to think my solo will fly to the tree/building while im riding my bike.
My point is, i already pay 3000 dolllar for a quadcopter + gopro (more expensive than p3p or xiro) i expect to have the most advance tech in my hand.
Or maybe im just too worried about my purchase

Well actually im doing well with all that solo have now. Im never going far above 500m, so its not necessary to have a 1km fpv ability. And about the flight time, like i said i just bought 3 extra battery + that came with solo, so its 1 hour flight time for me, and that is enough(its nice if i can get more tho). And about the obstacle avoidance, actually i will be happy to have it, i like the follow me feature and use it a lot, but it always frightening me to think my solo will fly to the tree/building while im riding my bike.
My point is, i already pay 3000 dolllar for a quadcopter + gopro (more expensive than p3p or xiro) i expect to have the most advance tech in my hand.
Or maybe im just too worried about my purchase
You already have it so move forward. Explore what you CAN do with it and don't worry about what you CAN'T.
Be happy, man!

Reactions: klamberton and Del

This is available Now/Soon,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Look here: But @ $850 just for Base! Not for me, but this is what your asking for.
Qualcomm Snapdragon Flight Development Kit | Intrinsyc

3DR has plans to release a heavier lift quad this year. Not a "solo 2", but based on it. A more "pro" version for heavier cameras, etc.

It will be a bummer if 3dr release solo 2 in april with all that feature. Bcs i just bought mine like a week ago

Virtually *nothing* shown at CES is "available." Much of it is vaporware. As a 22-year veteran of this show and this industry I can assure you that at least 30% of what is shown/announced/proposed never makes it to market. The things that do, virtually never hit in any reasonable time period.
Further to that, you'll always be behind the curve. Technology marches quickly, and of course 3DR (and their competitors) are always digging for the edge that brings them market share. "The grass is always greener." There will always be a quad with a bigger motor, more payload capable, easier to fly, more dummy-proof features. ALWAYS. Make the most informed choices you can, and be happy with what you choose. Living on the bleading edge is difficult. Take it from someone who has put together hundreds of hours of trade-show sizzle footage of products that don't survive the budget cuts, can't make the market, or whatever other reason it vaporizes. 3DR isn't going to survive on the Solo alone, and of course they'll always be working on the next big thing. In 5 years, people will look at the Solo like they look at the Model T from Ford.

Fondly, but still in their rear-view mirror.

more expensive but trust me, when the shit hits the fan. cuz it will... 3dr support is WAY better than DJIs.

I had a crash, motorpod had failed and 3rd is replacing everything.. solo, props, battery.. even the gopro itself.
Thats nothing something DJI would do... i mean the cheapest I've seen my friend get a repaid is $99 service over at dronefly.
3DR really knows how to support its community and I appreciate that.

The only issue I have is there is no option for an extended warranty at this time

Reactions: Tim English
Virtually *nothing* shown at CES is "available." Much of it is vaporware. As a 22-year veteran of this show and this industry I can assure you that at least 30% of what is shown/announced/proposed never makes it to market. The things that do, virtually never hit in any reasonable time period.
Further to that, you'll always be behind the curve. Technology marches quickly, and of course 3DR (and their competitors) are always digging for the edge that brings them market share. "The grass is always greener." There will always be a quad with a bigger motor, more payload capable, easier to fly, more dummy-proof features. ALWAYS. Make the most informed choices you can, and be happy with what you choose. Living on the bleading edge is difficult. Take it from someone who has put together hundreds of hours of trade-show sizzle footage of products that don't survive the budget cuts, can't make the market, or whatever other reason it vaporizes. 3DR isn't going to survive on the Solo alone, and of course they'll always be working on the next big thing. In 5 years, people will look at the Solo like they look at the Model T from Ford.

Fondly, but still in their rear-view mirror.
You are right on with that. Having been in the technology business for years and a frequent participant of CES and (not to date myself) Comdex. And the one true statement about technology products is you either jump in or do without. There will always be an improved model of whatever you bought in a few months that will make you want to say 'damn, I should have waited'!

more expensive but trust me, when the shit hits the fan. cuz it will... 3dr support is WAY better than DJIs.

I had a crash, motorpod had failed and 3rd is replacing everything.. solo, props, battery.. even the gopro itself.
Thats nothing something DJI would do... i mean the cheapest I've seen my friend get a repaid is $99 service over at dronefly.
3DR really knows how to support its community and I appreciate that.

The only issue I have is there is no option for an extended warranty at this time

From what I understand, DronesPlus offers an extended warranty. How it works, I'm not clear but one of their sales people in ABQ told me they offer this. I can't see how 3DR might offer it, but can see how a retailer might.
You are right on with that. Having been in the technology business for years and a frequent participant of CES and (not to date myself) Comdex. And the one true statement about technology products is you either jump in or do without. There will always be an improved model of whatever you bought in a few months that will make you want to say 'damn, I should have waited'!

Lol, Comdex for me too. Will you there the year that all of the different people were dressed up like musicians of the past and striking against Sonic Foundry new ACID software program? That was my marketing campaign. It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now I feel officially old.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
From what I understand, DronesPlus offers an extended warranty. How it works, I'm not clear but one of their sales people in ABQ told me they offer this. I can't see how 3DR might offer it, but can see how a retailer might.

Lol, Comdex for me too. Will you there the year that all of the different people were dressed up like musicians of the past and striking against Sonic Foundry new ACID software program? That was my marketing campaign. It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now I feel officially old.
Yeah, some went all out and it was a lot of fun. I think 84 was my first one as I had just opened a computer software and accessories store in Reno called Computer Menu. We were big in Epson (dot matrix) printers. Met Leonard Nimoy at the show then went and saw Don Rickles. Damn, feeling old now; better lay down..

Reactions: erikgraham
yuneec one of the bad ass avoidance features
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44