Anti-collision system

Think of a ferris wheel rotating and each bucket represents the next "new thing, enhancement, new tech, whatever" and it is just over the horizon. And you always want "the next best thing" and will wait for it. How long will you wait to get to ride?

But then again we must buy an add-ons just to compete with somethings other drones already have.

I'd rather pay for add-ons that actually work than get half-baked features included. Have you seen the video where DJI's geo-fence mode causes the copter to get "stuck" on the fence, or blow through it and get stuck on the outside?

I think some of Chinese companies race features into production without fully testing them. I'd rather have a solid base system that I can add functions and options to than an all-in-one setup where half the features don't work or work well and can't be replaced or upgraded.

From what I understand, DronesPlus offers an extended warranty. How it works, I'm not clear but one of their sales people in ABQ told me they offer this. I can't see how 3DR might offer it, but can see how a retailer might.

Lol, Comdex for me too. Will you there the year that all of the different people were dressed up like musicians of the past and striking against Sonic Foundry new ACID software program? That was my marketing campaign. It was a hell of a lot of fun. And now I feel officially old.
Are you a native Albuquerque-an?

Are you a native Albuquerque-an?

No, but my work has often taken me there over the past 25 years. A long-standing client has an office on Constitution, and in the past I've done a lot of work at the Kimo and The Pit. Love the city, but love the surrounding areas even more. New Mexico is a RTW state, so we've filmed many small-mid budget projects there.

Reactions: Jubalr
No, but my work has often taken me there over the past 25 years. A long-standing client has an office on Constitution, and in the past I've done a lot of work at the Kimo and The Pit. Love the city, but love the surrounding areas even more. New Mexico is a RTW state, so we've filmed many small-mid budget projects there.
Thanks- was curious as I am from there.

Solo 2 "The Next Future Proof Drone"
I think 3DR made a mistake claiming that Solo is "future proof".

3DR "future proof" to a point. Logically speaking.

I sure IBM, Google & many other's used this term before.
Maybe "Near Future" would have be better LOL.

Just like @David Weston described.
The Tech. Ind. Moving at a phenomenal rate! Today we want this, tomorrow we want that.

Manufacturing a consumer product has progressed from 1 year to 1 day " theologically speaking"
So "Future Proof" is just a term used lightly today.

It's a marketing term. But somewhat accurate. The Ford Model T as one example, is future proof. Still drivable, and if you want to spend the money to put in XM, reclining seats, a trunk, and all-terrain suspension system, you can. But...it is still capable of its original intent; getting you from point a to point b.

In its class, the Solo is indeed, future proof. The question is whether you want to spend the greater dollars to keep it competitive. ;)

The Solo will get optical flow for indoor flying soon. I would not be surprised if it also gets obstacle avoidance at some point.

Do we have any indication of what this could cost? Or shouldn't cost more than? Should we expect slightly lowered flight time?

For me, I find the obstacle avoidance a bit of a novelty. Will depend on how it is implemented. Think about it; the demos you have seen involve autonomous flight, and under FAA rules not sure how useful that will be. Ultimately, the best and safest way to avoid an obstacle is a competent pilot flying LOS. If obstacle avoidance was also designed to be used during regular, non autonomous flight, how and when would it be determined that the pilot should no longer be in control. Follow me would be interesting, but I would rather see the current feature modified to actually follow the leader WPs instead of line of sight.

Reactions: Maddog
I still hope that 3dr really mean it when they say future proof and keep workin at it atleast until 2017. I have high hope for this company

For me, I find the obstacle avoidance a bit of a novelty. Will depend on how it is implemented. Think about it; the demos you have seen involve autonomous flight, and under FAA rules not sure how useful that will be. Ultimately, the best and safest way to avoid an obstacle is a competent pilot flying LOS. If obstacle avoidance was also designed to be used during regular, non autonomous flight, how and when would it be determined that the pilot should no longer be in control. Follow me would be interesting, but I would rather see the current feature modified to actually follow the leader WPs instead of line of sight.
I mean even if we're not using it, it will be nice to know that it is there, you know i am dumb sometimes, so im up for dummy proof feature. But actually what i do really hope is a longer flight time, 30 minutes will be great. Or atleast a faster charging

I'm looking forward to obstacle avoidance, but even in that Yunec video, when following through the cacti, note how slowly they were moving. I want to see it in person to find out how robust it really is. Could it follow my car or a motor bike at 25 miles per hour along a dirt road with trees on either side? Can it follow a mountain bike down through some trees? Is it a rock solid technology, or does it have issues? (just like we still have issues with GPS systems that have been under development for years).

I want obstacle avoidance, but I've got to see it in the real world first. If for no other reason than to understand its capabilities and its limits.

I'm looking forward to obstacle avoidance, but even in that Yunec video, when following through the cacti, note how slowly they were moving. I want to see it in person to find out how robust it really is. Could it follow my car or a motor bike at 25 miles per hour along a dirt road with trees on either side? Can it follow a mountain bike down through some trees? Is it a rock solid technology, or does it have issues? (just like we still have issues with GPS systems that have been under development for years).

I want obstacle avoidance, but I've got to see it in the real world first. If for no other reason than to understand its capabilities and its limits.
My understanding is that it has a roughly 12mph limit to be effective.

Solo already has obstacle avoidance, it's called LIVE FEED from your GoPro! with that & human intervention "Common Sense" Should get anyone through most obstacle courses you have in front of you..
Unless, your flying at night, then we need something.

If your busy surfing for bike riding, just have your buddy control everything, while your doing your thing.

Solo already has obstacle avoidance, it's called LIVE FEED from your GoPro! with that & human intervention "Common Sense" Should get anyone through most obstacle courses you have in front of you..
Unless, your flying at night, then we need something.

If your busy surfing for bike riding, just have your buddy control everything, while your doing your thing.
I DO control everything (while the drones follows the talent). I've got more than a few flight hours under my belt after all these years, but I can't negotiate through trees while keeping the target in frame, while flying backwards or from the side. I can follow from behind pretty well with goggles, but even so, tree branches love to reach and grab. A follow or an auto mission with sense and avoid would be a huge help. It would definitely allow some new shots.

@Jubalr, 12mph is probably fast enough for me to work with. Would love faster though.

I mean even if we're not using it, it will be nice to know that it is there, you know i am dumb sometimes, so im up for dummy proof feature. But actually what i do really hope is a longer flight time, 30 minutes will be great. Or atleast a faster charging

You might want to read Eric's article on how the system worked at CES with the tracker balls. In short, what you saw from the Yuneec and its CES announcement wasn't entirely real (or affordable to mere mortals).
"The tracking system used in he demo is likely around 6,000 times more precise, sampling 36 to 360 times more often, and that kind of precision in tracking is very likely why the Typhoon H in the demo is moving with such agility."

Reactions: erikgraham
Object avoidance might make it easier to catch dramatic footage skimming just above a surface, e.g. the dry creek bed in this 43-second snippet:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Currently you have to be eagle-eyed to do this, not looking at the video feed (which doesn't give enough clues regarding exact height above the ground) but rather closely watching both the Solo and its shadow (that's one good way to get really close to the ground without crashing). Perhaps if Solo could prevent itself from colliding with the ground as it skims the surface, you could fly even closer, without staring at the shadow in a constant state of near-panic.

Forgive the lack of ND filter... this was just an experimental flight. My dream is to make a video that replaces the Death Star trench with a dry riverbed, and the X-Wing with a Solo. The photon torpedo accessory is still on the drawing board.

Reactions: erikgraham
Sounds, like you guys are interested to a complete auto system that will shoot the video for you & not to worry about obstacles or barriers stopping you from getting that PREFECT shot!

That may happen in the future, far future?
I want t be part of the making of the video, not just a button pusher.
I want to be able to answer the question "How you did that" & not tell them 3DR really didn't & just paid for the system.
I want to make it my own.

@erikgraham, Easy fix, just preview your video section/path virtually & physically.

If there is a shot were your Solo will have problems,Tree, Wall, snakes! just stop & retake the shot from a different angle. No penalty for splicing digital video together to make it better. I'm sure the subject wouldn't mind re-doing the shot one more time "take 2"
Please don't kick me, I bruise easily.
just my way of thing on this subject.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44