3DR will not replace GoPros any more, its official

Just read the thread. Interesting... I wonder where my rights are regarding warranties, particularly when it comes to replacing the GoPro. When i purchased the Solo it was guaranteed to me that if the solo broke my GoPro they'd replace it!! Is it legal for them to back out of that?? Its not as if they couldn't purchase another GoPro from another supplier to replace mine!!

yes I would take it up with them big time. a promise is a promise, particularly if a decision to purchase it was in whole or part due to the promise. ACCC will enjoy dealing with the parent company no doubt, particularly if it was to hit some kind of news headline??? hint hint...

3DR was going above and beyond with not only their warranty (unheard of in the drone world until then) but to also replace the GoPro was icing on the cake. Now the GP is no longer manufactured, and people expect them to try and find stock in some re-seller's back room, purchase it and give it to the customer. Amazing.

But now back to the real world, like any major company 3DR uses attorneys to write/review warranty policy. As such, I find the following (and totally expected) clause regarding replacement of items not manufactured by 3DR:
  1. When we can no longer provide one or more items of the actual order (i.e. discontinued parts).
  2. When one or more items of the actual order are not expected to be shipped within 30 days or more.
  3. When one or more items of the actual order is marked as In Stock but was actually Out of Stock due to an inventory error

i would be surprised if the australian laws on consumer warranties would allow such nondescript and vague warranty terms when it comes to third party products sold as a product made specifically to work with a third party product. many overseas companies have found it to be exceedingly difficult to win in any legislative sense, as opposed to a PR and marketing sense, if they go back against their warranties here. anyway, it all counts for nothing, if 3DR were to be unable to be legally allowed to sell their products in australia if that is what happens after the 14th of this month. it would be a shame. as far as the go pro 4 goes, i agree its best to stock up on a couple while they are still available...

Hmm, but they can order them for themselves via Best Buy new. They are technically available... Another reason for 3DR to not make a GP5 gimbal.

Hmm, but they can order them for themselves via Best Buy new. They are technically available...
That is why they used the term 'discontinued', and not 'unable to be found'. The GP4 is 'discontinued' by the manufacturer and no longer in production.

i would be surprised if the australian laws on consumer warranties would allow such nondescript and vague warranty terms

Not sure I see what is 'vague' about it. The GP4 is 'discontinued' by it's manufacturer as defined in the 3DR warranty.

That is why they used the term 'discontinued', and not 'unable to be found'. The GP4 is 'discontinued' by the manufacturer and no longer in production.
Just seems like the right thing to do it credit the cost of a replacement as a one time thing and notify that they can no longer replace them in the future.

They are still advertising the gopro replacement today on their website so its automatically a broken promose if you buy a 3dr solo today.

3DR was going above and beyond with not only their warranty (unheard of in the drone world until then) but to also replace the GoPro was icing on the cake. Now the GP is no longer manufactured, and people expect them to try and find stock in some re-seller's back room, purchase it and give it to the customer. Amazing.
That's really cute because Amazon and Bestbuy called and they want their well-stocked Hero4's back.

You do realize 3DR themselves no longer carries Solo for consumers? They refer you to Best Buy anyways. They can fulfill victims of their hardware/software failures a replacement but being a difficult company now they chose to focus solely on enterprise despite coming out of the woods and reassuring they will still support consumers. Smoke and mirrors.

I'm just shocked there are still folks on here who will go defend poor marketing/business practices to no end. I get it. Solo was and still might is an amazing platform but the ones that approved and oversaw its business end have not been good on keeping their promises.

It is lifecycle folks, want to know why 3DR is out of business
one of the reasons (ONE) was their generous warranty

Don't make a promise you can't keep. Until the last unit of Solo sold is 1 year out and Hero4 are no longer available through retail channels, they should be held to their words. How many of us got Solo because of the warranty? Weaseling out of it is false advertisement.

Last edited:
The Solo and the GP4 are BOTH discontinued products and no longer manufactured. No need to re-write the warranty now. (No, SiteScan Solos are a separate product with their own terms).
Don't make a promise you can't keep. Until the last unit of Solo sold is 1 year out and Hero4 are no longer available through retail channels, they should be held to their words. How many of us got Solo because of the warranty? Weaseling out of it is false advertisement.
That's funny, since it is you that wants to change their words of 'discontinued' to 'no longer available in the retail channel'. I think their warranty is very clear in what it says, it's just not what you want it to say. Changing it to available in 'retail channels' would be pretty open ended, since you can find some VERY old products of all kinds in back rooms and old stock retail outlets. But I guess you would still want 3DR to maintain 1 or 2 dedicate people to locating stock and acquiring regardless of cost, shipping and location. The warranty is clear, sorry it's not what you want it to say.

Having been in RC and multi-rotors for years, having any warranty of any kind is very rare, and it certainly didn't factor in what I buy.

geez I didn't realize checking Best Buy, Amazon, B&H and other massive retailers required significant manpower from which can even be linked from their own website. Weird, only took me 15 seconds. and even I did the legwork for them. Do I win a prize?

here's the official marketing statement:

"If the flight logs show Solo was lost or damaged due to a system error, 3DR will immediately repair or replace not only the drone, but the gimbal and the GoPro as well"

hmm no mention of exceptions. Seems like a convincing case of false advertisement in my opinion, what do you think?

Last edited:
geez I didn't realize checking Best Buy, Amazon, B&H and other massive retailers required significant manpower to take that 15 seconds from their OWN website to check stock.

the official marketing statement:

"If the flight logs show Solo was lost or damaged due to a system error, 3DR will immediately repair or replace not only the drone, but the gimbal and the GoPro as well"

hmm no mention of exceptions. Seems like a convincing case of false advertisement in my opinion, what do you think?
I think you didn't read the warranty details or previous quotes. All warranties have inclusions/exclusions and fine print. I assume you are an adult and know the difference. Commercials and marketing will always mention a warranty and then it's up to the consumer to read the details. Otherwise my 5yr 60k mile warranty on my vehicle would include everything wouldn't it?

I sure did but since you're so stuck on playing lawyer on this one I will once again emphasize their marketing material didn't make reference to the fine prints.

Whatever the case, I'm certain any amount of lawyers worth their sheepskin will be able to successfully argue that it only applies to 3DR stocked items - which indeed were stocked in the past but now (due to circumstances beyond 3DR's control) are no longer manufactured or readily available.

Interesting discussion I must admit. But although GP no longer manufacture hero 3 or 4 and both are considered discontinued, the hero 4 is still available via eBay refurbished from GP themselves. This means GP still have stock and the hero 4 is still available. 3DR replaces your solo with a refurbished one so I see no reason for them not to fulfill their promise! I hardly call GP a "resellers back room"!

Whatever the case, I'm certain any amount of lawyers worth their sheepskin will be able to successfully argue that it only applies to 3DR stocked items - which indeed were stocked in the past but now (due to circumstances beyond 3DR's control) are no longer manufactured or readily available.

do they even have funds for lawyers at this stage, serious question.

i guess some of their fans is willing to do it pro-bono

That's really cute because Amazon and Bestbuy called and they want their well-stocked Hero4's back.

You do realize 3DR themselves no longer carries Solo for consumers? They refer you to Best Buy anyways. They can fulfill victims of their hardware/software failures a replacement but being a difficult company now they chose to focus solely on enterprise despite coming out of the woods and reassuring they will still support consumers. Smoke and mirrors.

Are you saying if I break my drone and 3DR says it was a product defect, they will refer me to BestBuy to get my money back? And Best Buy will do this without needing any proof?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M