3DR SOLO LIVES ON!!!

Reaction score
Check out these videos

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting, I didn't see any examples of Agricultural Thermography in the videos, but with the availability of the Flir Boson
Boson
The entry point into the drone thermal imaging field has just been redefined.
We have all seen upgraded motor pods using better motors, and the M8N GPS upgrades are easily done by normal folks.
Building on ArduCopter and the open source parts of the Solo software stack. Multi Spectral and Thermal Agricultural imaging is a market that 3DR has not addressed with it's Enterprise endeavour. Opportunities abound, with the revelations of the Forbes article, there are plenty of Solo's out there waiting for a "Killer app".
Good luck to all those folks who are pursuing these markets.

I was skeptical too but I found out Hawaii is only one of five designated FAA sUAS test sites in the US. They also have a good agricultural industry. I hypothesize that they are probably using agricultural thermography to monitor their crops. Hawaii also has solar farms for renewable energy - But to choose 3DR solo as a test bed for their projects might be a mistake - maybe better use some thing like an inspire with an interchangeable payload system. Only because 3DR is not making anymore Solos.

Only because 3DR is not making anymore Solos.
True, but the key here is the usage of the PixHawk 2.1, presuming within an existing Solo. The RTF Solo is just a stepping stone for many to that FC, which will allow innovation without limits to many "inspired" minds.

talk is cheap
potential this potential that
only thing that's come out of all of it for consumer usage is Kelly's Solex, IMHO
props to that man..he's the only one who's walked the talk.

may be I just haven't given Solo enough time yet and in 3 years after Solo launch, I'm proven wrong.

Please prove me wrong, I'd like to get more value out of our Solos :)

Reactions: fpvsteve
It's is the updated version of the FC hardware within Solo, which is PixHawk 2.0. The only key difference that stands out between the two is heated IMU to allow sub freezing application. Basically minor improvements between these two versions, but being produced as a stand alone FC for the DIY'ers. 3DR never released it as stand alone when Solo was released, so to many this is a really big deal in the PixHawk user space.

I think the video is just bragging that they have a PixHawk 2.1, as the production version has not been released as of yet. Should be on the streets some time in November...

For us the carrier board described on the website will be a plus. We can take our "cube" out and place it on to another frame for hopefully a cleaner transplant.

I'm not a DIY'er, so just providing how I understand what this all is....smarter people are now buying Solo, so we may see Solo change as we know it. Think of it as a stock car being turned into a hotrod...that's my hope at least.

Reactions: Jonathan Miranda
Rising from the ashes

Reactions: Elaine
Rising from the ashes
As soon as the creator of the videos stops the theatrics and explains at least a little what he's all about I'm dismissing him.
Possibly I'm being too harsh, but it looks as if someone is simply fitting a Solo with everything needed to make it a top-rated "custom" Solo - something any of us can do and already have done - and presenting it as something newsworthy.
It's important to let folks know that, for all intents and purposes, Solos aren't being made anymore, at least not by 3DR. I'm certainly not aware of any sale of patent or copyright rights by 3DR either, so... lets not encourage hopeful newbies to believe that their new $379.99 Best Buy Solo deal is going to pay off in a big way. They bought a Solo - not an interest in a newly ressurected company.

Last edited:
I'm with Marich on this. You never see the drone or even a shadow of it and for all we know this video could have been shot with a DJI or Yuneec and not even a Solo. All I see is some nice aerial video someone added a few claims to using text. I see nothing to support that it was even shot with a Solo let alone an upgraded version. If I take some bouncy video from the back of a horse and tell you I am riding a unicorn would you believe me?

Reactions: Solo Keith
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it - I myself have already moved on to DJI but - honestly 3DR solo is the best drone out there for less than $500. In fact I just got motivated to revive my solo.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it - I myself have already moved on to DJI but - honestly 3DR solo is the best drone out there for less than $500. In fact I just got motivated to revive my solo.
To dismiss what?
There are no more Solos being manufactured and the company has moved onto other things.
Of course Solo is the best drone for under $500 - in fact at its typical current going price is likely the only real done for that amount.

You know, one thing should be made clear.
I don't know how many folks are like me, but I don't fly drones to simply keep up with the Joneses. I fly for fun and to capture interesting video. I try to put together the best rig I can.
Right now, Solo fits that role for me better than anything else. Had it been made by Nabisco or the Keebler Elf Company it would still be my choice.
I stopped blindly pledging allegiance to certain manufacturers or brand names many years ago. I buy a product according to its value to me, not its value to John Q Public.
I'm amused by those who confidently assert they've "moved on" from 3DR and Solo.
Funny - I never considered myself married to it. Should I ever decide to break up with it it'll be a private family affair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44