WiFi Card upgrade testing

Just wanted to share my experience with my controller wifi card swap out. I was able to split the case completely flat on it's backs by only removing the large connector on the right and the thin 2-wire connector on the left. The back section with the gimbal controls actually comes off the casing and allows the entire unit to open and lay flat. Others may have found this out on their own, but for the first-timer, I thought this would be good info.

3DR Controller by Keoni Ahlo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: pious_greek
Nice pics. The hardest part of this job in my boneheaded opinion was remembering that the controller with the wireless card needed to be oriented the proper way (reversed when attaching the antenna leads). Nothing worse than doing a job twice :) Great idea to place the new radio sticker in the battery bay by the way. Let us know your experience once you get it tested out. Mine works fantastic. Did you do the Solo as well? Best upgrade yet, at least until I see how the mRo M8N GPS goes this weekend.

Nice pics. The hardest part of this job in my boneheaded opinion was remembering that the controller with the wireless card needed to be oriented the proper way (reversed when attaching the antenna leads). Nothing worse than doing a job twice :) Great idea to place the new radio sticker in the battery bay by the way. Let us know your experience once you get it tested out. Mine works fantastic. Did you do the Solo as well? Best upgrade yet, at least until I see how the mRo M8N GPS goes this weekend.
Thanks! Yeah, controller update went well, only took 20 minutes (and half of that was trying to figure out how the case came apart!) I haven't upgraded the solo yet--I've only done the mRo GPS on that side...where I live, I get GPS within seconds now, it's crazy! I'll test the rig this weekend. If the range suffices, I'll use the second wifi card for my son's controller. I just want to be able to track whales along the coast < 1 mile away without getting those RTHs kicking in all the time!

Hi, first post, previous IRIS+ owner, now a new Solo owner.

Has anyone tried this 5.8ghz board with any success? It looks to be based on the Atheros chip according to this site's specs. They are a little cheaper and easier to find than the MikroTic boards.

Purchase:
Amazon.com: Engenius EMP-8603 Premium Radio , Dual Band 2.4GHz & 5.8GHz Mini PCI Adapter , Extreme High Power Longer Transmit Distance Up to 500mW 802.11a , 800mW 802.11b and 600mW 802.11g , High Speed Wireless Connection , 2 x MMCX connectors .: Computers & Accessories

More Specs:
Engenius 802.11a/b/g Dual Band Mini-PCI Type IIIA 600mW - EN-EMP-8603

I guess 5.8GHz would be better in noisy environments (although thats gradually changing too), but main downside is the radiated output limits for 5GHz band (not sure about FCC, but I believe it's lower than 30dBm EIRP) are lower than 2.4 (which is 36dBm EIRP)

It's also a lot less forgiving when it comes to LOS obstructions like trees etc.... but horses for courses, it would certainly suit some situations better

^^ What he said. 5ghz WiFi would solve the congestion issues on conventional 2.4ghz WiFi. It's why I run 5ghz WiFi in my house now. However, any gains from that would be far outweighed by the reduced range and obstruction losses. You'd end up with less range and a less reliable link than before. It is great for in your house. Not so great for a drone.

Just replaced mine on the controller too, all of 20 minutes.

Cracked it up and it connected straight away no messing.

I think you have to re-pair if you do the solo too.

But I haven't yet as I am going to see the difference this makes first.

If I am happy I will put the other wifi card in my other controller.

Bit fiddly though with the tiny sma connectors.

Glad I have reading glasses or I would have had to put at arms length just to see them.

#blindoldfart

Lol.

Has anybody have issues with video after updating the wifi cards? I updates my wifi cards a couple of weeks ago and i'm having video feed problems. The video freezes for a second about every 5 seconds. Any sugestions?

I have not put my wifi cards in my solo, yet. but I did think that the wifi cards would cause the video to pause, unless you was flying the bird at a distance.

try checking the setting on the camera. I had some issues in the beginning because of the setting on my go pro camera.

especially when I had my setting set high on my GP hB4 black

Help! I just installed the wifi card(s) upgrade in both the controller and solo. Now no sololink at all. Did not find new solo and try to pair. Checked the connections, everything looks to be okay. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, that is the video I used. The problem is solo is not generating a wifi signal now. The controller is not finding it in order to pair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle