Why buy a drone and specifically a 3DR Solo?

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Personally for me flying a drone is as exciting as watching a ceiling fan. It adds no value to my life! except for filming. I produce film and edit for a living everyday all day. Having a drone simply gives me shots that are Amazing expensive and rare to obtain.

That’s it. so to film and fly I need to learn understand all the tech stuff that comes with the shot. I must admit I was dreading the experience but because I wanted the footage I had to endure the necessary evil that came with it = the drone. I went with 3DR solo Because I discerned from the folks who created it that there was a deeper reason other than creating a ceiling fan…and made the right choice. I am so grateful to 3DR Solo for opening the doors to a cluts like me. deeply appreciated. So hope to learn what I need. Only need it to film other than that I have much better things to do with my time. How do other folks feel? Maybe my perspective will change but I doubt it

Another thing a drone perspective although impressive without ground perspective images is meaningless. It has no human value because we are not fantasy comic book brain dead superman. Sorry it is what it is.

Personally for me flying a drone is as exciting as watching a ceiling fan. It adds no value to my life! except for filming. I produce film and edit for a living everyday all day. Having a drone simply gives me shots that are Amazing expensive and rare to obtain.

That’s it. so to film and fly I need to learn understand all the tech stuff that comes with the shot. I must admit I was dreading the experience but because I wanted the footage I had to endure the necessary evil that came with it = the drone. I went with 3DR solo Because I discerned from the folks who created it that there was a deeper reason other than creating a ceiling fan…and made the right choice. I am so grateful to 3DR Solo for opening the doors to a cluts like me. deeply appreciated. So hope to learn what I need. Only need it to film other than that I have much better things to do with my time. How do other folks feel? Maybe my perspective will change but I doubt it

Another thing a drone perspective although impressive without ground perspective images is meaningless. It has no human value because we are not fantasy comic book brain dead superman. Sorry it is what it is.

A unique viewpoint, but highly subjective.
You say that just flying a drone adds no value to your life. Perhaps that is true for you, but certainly not true for many others. How do you define an activity that adds value to a persons life?
I would argue that anything which adds excitement or any form of emotional stimulation to a persons life could be said to be desirable or worthwhile.
Flying RC models, even drones, is something that many people find both intellectually and emotionally stimulating.

Last edited:
Hmmm , I think I did the reply syntax wrong...
Well no matter, everyone here is bright. (xept me)
Now, in regards to the statement that without a ground perspective (obviously included in the film or sequence) an aerial perspective is meaningless, is not true at all. Yes, One long clip with nothing more than a slow overview isn't very compelling. One might appreciate that some B roll from ground could be beneficial in telling a story.

However, it depends on what the story is.

To make a blanket statement about visual esthetics only being valid if ground perspectives are included, only serves to cement a limited way of story telling.

There are no rules, only "what works".

Aerial photography is still in its infancy relative to ground based photography.

As UAVs capabilities grow and techniques develop, we're going to see an ever expanding vocabulary in the literacy of aerial imaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimB13
O sure I truly appreciate the different viewpoints. What I do know from life is that if you love something you become good at it. a flying camera for me is the ultimate I would rather spend bucks on a good lens than a drone. It simply could be that once you start getting good images the drone becomes as important as the lens. Waite and see it could change for me.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I love to fly and enjoy the mechanical aspect of drones, Solo is a great bird.. I hate-hate editing video....

Reactions: Slozukimc and Chun
Maybe the two of you should get together and both will be happier in the end?

Check out the series "Aerial America" on the Smithsonian channel. All aerial shots from helicopters and drones, nothing from the ground and it is spectacular.

If you know what you're doing and are a good story teller you don't have to have ground-based shots. I was really surprised that an all-aerial show would be so good.

Maybe the two of you should get together and both will be happier in the end?
Hey wait a second, I'm not that way...I only work on my own junk. ;)

The forum is a great resource to resolve issues either by our own hands or those of others. I do feel for those that have limited patience to work on the bird after a mishap, why I hang out here and attempt to help. But the bottom line is that Solo can be repaired or modified by any user with half an interest to do so. Otherwise you wait on and spend money to others for what you can't or won't do, it's part of the deal of being an entrepreneur/artist pilot in this day and age.

In any case Solo's a great bird, Arducopter is a great flight software and PixHawk 2.0 is rock solid. Smarts shots and Solex just adds to the overall experience. Solo will be flying longer than the next version that DJl has to offer...and still will be a better platform, without any restrictive-strings attached.

My bird, my choices. #iflysolo

The forum is a great resource to resolve issues either by our own hands or those of others. I do feel for those that have limited patience to work on the bird after a mishap, why I hang out here and attempt to help. But the bottom line is that Solo can be repaired or modified by any user with half an interest to do so. Otherwise you wait on and spend money to others for what you can't or won't do, it's part of the deal of being an entrepreneur/artist pilot in this day and age.

In any case Solo's a great bird, Arducopter is a great flight software and PixHawk 2.0 is rock solid. Smarts shots and Solex just adds to the overall experience. Solo will be flying longer than the next version that DJl has to offer...and still will be a better platform, without any restrictive-strings attached.

I could not agree more. A large part of my decision to fly Solo came down to the opportunity to tinker. It's why I've gotten into the line of work I'm in, why I chose the house I'm in... I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and proud to own...uh...eleven Solos (but only two controllers).

With what other bird could I be considering recompiling a kernel, while at the same time designing level shifters for the ESCs , and also working on decoding MAVLink dumps from the gimbal comms ? I couldn't be happier.
:D;):D

The thing is I have deep respect for folks who tinker and get to grips with the workings of drones etc and I’ve seen some amazing footage from these very same people . so they obviously have an eye and a heart for it, so being technical doesn’t exclude one from being an artist. Filming and photography are technically creative and visually creative at the same time. Drones on the other hand, this is a whole different animal. it’s another kind of creative that is going to require some serious effort to get to grips with.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest
I've also noticed that tinkerers are the user base of Solos. i myself have that as part of my reason to Solo. But then, I also couldn't use anything for imagery that i didn't thoroughly understand. When one really understands an imaging tool, it gives one the confidence to push the envelope of what is possible. Its that near edge where the discoveries and neat cool stuff is born. It's also why I've lost 4 Solos to the ocean. Ha!
having said that, and thinking about what DJI has created with the Mavik, I'm really thinking that I'd get a more capable image capture machine If I could figure out how to let go of Solo's original promise.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest

Thanks for sticking around Rich- you have a lot of valuable information and experience to share with others.

I'm an inveterate tinkerer,
Ya, what he said....
Drones on the other hand, this is a whole different animal. it’s another kind of creative that is going to require some serious effort to get to grips with.
At least you have an objective resource here to help guide you to a solution. Those of us seeking any subjective video support are typically on our own.
Thanks for sticking around Rich- you have a lot of valuable information and experience to share with others.
Back at you MD...

Reactions: Maddog
Solo will be flying longer than the next version that DJl has to offer...and still will be a better platform, without any restrictive-strings attached

Yeah as long as GoPro keeps making those Hero 3+ and 4's.

Oh yeah they don't and that is a damn big string attached until someone can decode the gimbal and find a way to fly a newer camera on the birds. Otherwise they will still be flying but no fpv or video as the cameras slowly fall out of favor and fail.

Yeah as long as GoPro keeps making those Hero 3+ and 4's.
Money is money, they'll keep producing due to the proliferation of the form factor. There are many vested applications based on those models. You may spend more, but they'll be available.

Or if they abandon, the chinese will completely replicate and offer 4K60 or maybe 8K with the 3.0FW....who knows. Don't crash and you'll never need to know. My motto, one is none, two is one.

Money is money, they'll keep producing due to the proliferation of the form factor. There are many vested applications based on those models. You may spend more, but they'll be available.

Or if they abandon, the chinese will completely replicate and offer 4K60 or maybe 8K with the 3.0FW....who knows. Don't crash and you'll never need to know. My motto, one is none, two is one.
Umm... that's quite some motto Rich. I'm still chewing it over. If you meant don't crash & you won't break your GoPro that's true but they still can malfunction leaving you needing another.

Lots of people on here have multiple Solo's but I wonder how many have multiple GoPro's? I think at some point the supply of 3's & 4's will dry up. If an alternative isn't available Solo might not be so useful anymore.

I forgot what the point of this post was going to be, but it was something like "stocking up on GoPro's might not be a bad idea".

Umm... that's quite some motto Rich. I'm still chewing it over. If you meant don't crash & you won't break your GoPro that's true but they still can malfunction leaving you needing another.
Same motto for guns, mags and ammo. Just one wife however, she's all I can handle....

I've had my GP for two years and it has been a work horse. Pretty serious crash last year which only scuffed up the bottom of the front plate. No question I got lucky, but I'm fairly confident no other camera drone's camera would have survived...even the gimbal survived.

You're right, GP could actually malfunction and die. Even so the aftermarket for parts is fairly good. But I get what you are saying, Solo is locked into GP 3/4 at present and it will end one day.

Same for the gimbal. At $200 presently, repairing one now makes sense. When they were $50, we told people to just buy a new unit, not worth the effort to repair. Whether the HDMI connector or a bent arm, both can be repaired in many cases.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig