Which GoPro Hero for best image stabilization?

Reaction score
Ordered an Hero 3+ Black and was surprised that it had no image stabilization/anti shaking on board. I've got a $50 SJ4000 camera that has an anti shaking feature and it does a good job but I do not have FPV since it is not a Gopro.

I've not used a gimble before so when it is released is going to be able to smooth the video out? I paid 182 for the 3+ Black so I'm wondering if I need to upgrade or hold tight with the 3+ until the gimbal is released.

Ordered an Hero 3+ Black and was surprised that it had no image stabilization/anti shaking on board. I've got a $50 SJ4000 camera that has an anti shaking feature and it does a good job but I do not have FPV since it is not a Gopro.

I've not used a gimble before so when it is released is going to be able to smooth the video out? I paid 182 for the 3+ Black so I'm wondering if I need to upgrade or hold tight with the 3+ until the gimbal is released.

There will be night and day difference between the fixed mount and gimbal.

That's good to know. I guess I will just sit tight then and wait for the gimbal. Thanks

Its unusable in my opinion now. You can set it up to take random photos (time lapse) and catch a good photo on occasion. But video just flat out sucks.

Its unusable in my opinion now. You can set it up to take random photos (time lapse) and catch a good photo on occasion. But video just flat out sucks.

Yes it does. I'm going to just use the 3+ Black for long distance runs as well as dry runs prior to shooting video with the SJ. That way I can take note of the height and distance of the shot I want and then switch to the SJ to film it.

You must feel the SJ shoots better video than the GoPro??

I did a shoot this weekend for an auction company that needed photos for the brochure. I set the GoPro to shoot 1080p video and take a photo every 5sec. Worked well for what was needed, but would certainly prefer the Gimbal..
https://goo.gl/photos/68NuVv3yynhs6WwQ8

Reactions: rrmccabe
You must feel the SJ shoots better video than the GoPro??

In regards to stabilization it is A LOT better. While the SJ is not 4k it is 1080 so it looks good. I'll upload an example later today or tomorrow.

Just for curiosity I went to Best Buy and was actually able to add the Gimbal to the cart but when searching for stores it was available at I couldn't find any. A Can I Help chat window popped up so I tried to see if they could tell me where one was available. I kinda figured it hadn't been released but what the hell I was going to check anyway and below is what I was told.

Thank you for choosing Best Buy, my name is Cecilia. How may I assist you today?
13-Jul 09:43 AM
Hi
Good morning!
Can you see what I have in my cart?
If not: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3DR+-+S...ategoryId=pcmcat369900050004&id=1219650467156
13-Jul 09:44 AM
No I am unable to see what you have in your cart.
Can you tell me what store this is available at?
It's the first time I have seen it available to add to the cart so I'm wondering if it is actually available and if so where
13-Jul 09:45 AM
How exciting that you are looking into purchasing a new product with us today! I would be more than happy to check availability for you.
May I please have your zip code?
Thank you
However I'm willing to travel to get it so I want to see how far away it is from me.
13-Jul 09:46 AM
Thank you. I will definitely look into this for you.
13-Jul 09:46 AM
Oh no! It does seem that this item is sold out in our warehouse, so it can't be shipped. It is sold out in your local stores. We do not have information on when the product will come back in stock. Since you are interested in this product you can create an account on bestbuy.com. Then click on the item as a wishlist and when the item comes available you will receive an email notifying you it is available.
13-Jul 09:48 AM
Why was I able to add it to my cart if it is not available anywhere?
13-Jul 09:49 AM
I'm thinking it hasn't been actually released yet..
13-Jul 09:50 AM
This item has been sold out for a while now. Usually when an item has not been released it would say either "coming soon" or "pre order". In this case I am not sure why you can add it to the cart when it is still not showing availability.
13-Jul 09:52 AM
Okay, thank you for you help.
13-Jul 09:53 AM

Yea me too. I was pretty happy with it on occasion. I think I deleted about 90% of them but every once in a while it would get a good shot.

10480109_761039447341912_5016111014260836581_o.jpg

Reactions: Jubalr
@Jubalr yours look great. I keep thinking I should try to put the stock lens back in mine until my Gimbal arrives.

ND filters are supposed to help a lot with jello. I have mine on order from ragecams

@Jubalr yours look great. I keep thinking I should try to put the stock lens back in mine until my Gimbal arrives.
Thanks Rich. I hop I didn't jump the gun though. Today I got in the Peau 4.3 lens. Like the specs and non fisheye. I will put it on this week and give it a try. Plan on using it for mapping.

Well I think you have a much better chance than the 5.4. I love the FPV with the 5.4 but it is not very forgiving.

I would grab some plastic loctite or crazy glue. The screws inside really need a dab of something in my opinion. Really not designed to be taken apart.

Well I think you have a much better chance than the 5.4. I love the FPV with the 5.4 but it is not very forgiving.

I would grab some plastic loctite or crazy glue. The screws inside really need a dab of something in my opinion. Really not designed to be taken apart.
Good Tip, I will do that. Can't hurt..

The screws in the board after you split the case are short and need something as they never bite like the first time.

Course the old trick of turning the screw backwards and letting it drop into the original threaded groove helps.

I just did not feel good about it after tightening them down so I backed them out and used a drop of crazy glue off a toothpick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig