What to Buy?

Reaction score
I have been a filmmaker my entire high school! I have wanted to expand my shot selection to drones. I have not been able to decided what drone I want. I don't have a go pro, which makes it hard to get the 3DR, but I am looking for a drone that will last me a while. I know the 3dr has a lot of potential for the future, but is it really worth it over the p3p. Any thoughts. Also, I am going to college next year if that helps anyone with opinions!

I have been a filmmaker my entire high school! I have wanted to expand my shot selection to drones. I have not been able to decided what drone I want. I don't have a go pro, which makes it hard to get the 3DR, but I am looking for a drone that will last me a while. I know the 3dr has a lot of potential for the future, but is it really worth it over the p3p. Any thoughts. Also, I am going to college next year if that helps anyone with opinions!
The P3 is definitely cheaper. If you have a problem with it, the support is pretty lacking. Warranty repairs have to be done in China which can take 60 days from the time you send it off. The camera it comes with is the one you are stuck with. If this is your first drone, I would go out and get a small cheap one that you can fly around and get used to before dropping $1000 or more.
The Solo is definitely more expensive especially if you are buying the camera too. You would have support here in the U.S. Their replacement policy is unmatched. The GoPro can be used for much more than flying around on a drone.
I'm sure it's a tough choice since the Solo is still brand new and nearly twice the price but it's gonna be around for a while and will get better and better as time goes on. With expansion potential and the open source technology available, there is lots of potential for the Solo.

Raybro has good points and 100% correct.

I am not sure about being around for a while though. The way technology changes there will be a better drone in a year or two for 1/2 the cost of a Solo. The Solo can be expanded but the new stuff will go beyond that the expansion is capable of. I have sooooo many hobbies over the years where I have bought top of the line and expandable stuff (computers included) that I have carried to the garbage can.

You can bet 3DR is thinking about Solo 2. Expandability can only take you so far.

I think the Solo is a little risky at this point. Unless you can afford to lose $2,000 I think I might consider a Phantom. Sure they have issues as well but I really think the Solo is in its development stages. Was not quite ready to market.

Do you really need 4k? You can save some money going 1080.

Agreed from above, since you are into filming, look close at your camera requirements, from what I have read: the Sony sensor in the P3P is very similar if not the same as the GoPro 4 black repackaged into an aluminum shell with a larger lens that eliminates fish eye found on a stock GoPro..

You may want to consider the Yuneec Q500 as it's known to be very reliable without any potential for flyaways,

Reactions: GoodnNuff
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The above is a bit dated but still relevant as the P3 has a similar fragile camera.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm looking to buy either the Solo or the P3 Advanced. I'm not in the video business, it's just another hobby to me. I'm leaning toward the Solo because it has some features I think I would use that the P3 doesn't have at this time. I also have a Hero3 Black so I wouldn't need to buy a camera for the Solo.

The P3 Advanced would be less expensive, but on several of the other forums I've been reading it sounds like the P3 is having more issues like fly aways. I understand the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but maybe there is some problem with the P3. I have not found as many post of Solo fly aways, but that may be because there are not as many Solos out in the world just yet.

Decisions, decisions, what's a person supposed to do. Cut bait or fish.... Put my money on the drone I'd be happiest with in it's current state, not try to guess which one will be the best in the future.

There are thousands of P3s out there. So in all fairness I really think the issues are limited and as with anything there is some operator error involved.

Not say its perfect. I am sure the Solo will get better as time goes on. Its only been out a week :)

There are thousands of P3s out there. So in all fairness I really think the issues are limited and as with anything there is some operator error involved.

Not say its perfect. I am sure the Solo will get better as time goes on. Its only been out a week :)

I took the plunge and ordered the Solo today, now the waiting game begins.

Any recommendations on tracking devices incase the Solo gets a mind of it's own and goes on a unscheduled journey? I've looked at FlyTrex Live 3G, and the Trackimo GPS Tracker and wonder if there are other better choices.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Well, I don't know of any other drone manufacturer that has a warranty as good as 3DR. 30 days or your money back. Drone, gimbal, and camera replacement if defective hardware causes the loss. No sending it to China and waiting 60 days for repair, no offering you a replacement at 20 or 30 percent off. Support that you can call and actually talk to or email and they actually respond.
I got mine yesterday and flew it twice. Everything performed as it should. I don't think there is a drone out there that is perfect, they all have there issues. What really sets the Solo apart from others is the open source.
The rollout was glitchy and we have no gimbal but it is coming. Read this morning it is again delayed until the end of July. I think the wait will be worth it. They got in a big hurry getting the Solo out and had some with some GPS issues. They want the gimbal to be flawless and I believe it will.
http://3drobotics.com/news-solo-gimbal/

Thanks, that's one I missed.

I run the Marco Polo as well. Regardless of cost it's the #1 choice for me. Does not have the convenience of cellular map location where you just go to map dot, but its more accurate and always works. I have used it 3 times now. The last two were over a mile away.

The people at Marco Polo are really nice too. Good support if needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44