What is required for GPS Lock?

I hear what you are saying, but living in a society where everyone wants to sue the manufacturers because they do something stupid, maybe dji is covering their butts. Could you imagine what would happen if some dumb ass flying a phantom or solo or any drone took out an airplane because he decided to fly over the 400' limit or fly too close to an airport? They would go after all parties involved. I have no problem with a limit of 400' AGL. It just isn't worth the risk. But there are plenty of idiots that do it all the time. It is just a matter of time before all drones are required to have these limitations. Just look at what they have done to cars over the years, seat belts, airbags, speed limiters, etc. Hell even most cars have a black box in them now that records everything you do behind the wheel. Sorry for the rant but we live in a day and age where a lot of people refuse to take personal responsibility for anything. Very sad indeed.
More people are killed on highways annually due to high speeds than any drone could ever do to a plane even if it brought the whole thing down and killed every single man, woman and child aboard, along with whatever they crashed into on the ground. So why don't they mandate car manufactures not allow their cars to go faster than the max speed limit? If saving lives is the true goal, go to where the numbers actually are - not speculatively are. To date, not a single drone has killed a single person that I am aware of. Plenty of speculation and hype of what could be, might be... We have hard data on automobile fatalities when speeding is a part of the equation....tens of thousands annually ... so why not limit automobiles? It would be quite easy to implement with modern computer driven cars.

Your "what if" examples don't come close to "what actually is". In 2014 over 32,000 people were killed on the road in the US alone. 0 due to civilian drones.

I hear what you are saying, but living in a society where everyone wants to sue the manufacturers because they do something stupid, maybe dji is covering their butts. Could you imagine what would happen if some dumb ass flying a phantom or solo or any drone took out an airplane because he decided to fly over the 400' limit or fly too close to an airport? They would go after all parties involved. I have no problem with a limit of 400' AGL. It just isn't worth the risk. But there are plenty of idiots that do it all the time. It is just a matter of time before all drones are required to have these limitations.

What about other countries that dont have a 400ft limit (plus if your an AMA member in the USA there is no 400ft limit). Here in Australia for non commercial use we only have a 400ft limit in controlled airspace and when within 3nm of an airfield or helipad. We also have rules about not interferring with full scale. Commercial use limit to 400ft.

If people keep clear of full scale flying above 400ft can be done safely with low risk. Having said that the Solo is very hard to see at 400ft. Ive only taken it to that height once.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have no problem with a limit of 400' AGL. It just isn't worth the risk. .

A programmed limit of 400' without a major advancement of electronics is not reasonable. It does not allow for terrain or obstacles, since the limit is the AGL from your launch point.

More people are killed on highways annually due to high speeds than any drone could ever do to a plane even if it brought the whole thing down and killed every single man, woman and child aboard, along with whatever they crashed into on the ground. So why don't they mandate car manufactures not allow their cars to go faster than the max speed limit? If saving lives is the true goal, go to where the numbers actually are - not speculatively are. To date, not a single drone has killed a single person that I am aware of. Plenty of speculation and hype of what could be, might be... We have hard data on automobile fatalities when speeding is a part of the equation....tens of thousands annually ... so why not limit automobiles? It would be quite easy to implement with modern computer driven cars.

Your "what if" examples don't come close to "what actually is". In 2014 over 32,000 people were killed on the road in the US alone. 0 due to civilian drones.
It is not a matter of if but of when something bad will happen with a drone. Just read this forum, or any forum, people do stupid things daily. They fly over vehicle traffic, crowds of people, in their neighborhoods, drunk, etc. There have already been near misses where someone could have been injured. The solo and phantom both have reliability issues right now and should never be flown in the environments that some people are flying in. So should we wait until someone gets hurt or worse before we try to do something. Your example of people being killed in speeding cars is a perfect example of what I am talking about, stupidity. There was a time when 0 people were killed on the roads too, but now there are millions of cars and technology has allowed for cars to go speeds that weren't imagined eighty years ago, no different with drones, there are more and more of them being sold so the risks are going up. Stupid people flying drones are no different than stupid people driving cars, it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed. The majority of people that fly are responsible, but as usual, they will pay the price for the few that are not. I wasn't saying that I agree with the limitations but I can live with them, it is a sign of the times we live in, unfortunately. Most manufacturers nowadays take every possible step to remove any liability from themselves and drone manufacturers will do the same as time goes on.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks