What happened to map cache button on Solo app?

Reaction score
I have a Nexus 7 (wifi only) and I have cached plenty of maps in past. I have updated the app but now I no longer see the "download map" button on the map screen. Here is what I have done.

1. I made sure I was on regular wifi.
  2. Made sure that i was zoomed in to a "cacheable" level.
  3. Made sure I chose a map section that I have not already downloaded.
  4. Reinstalled app.
Still cannot see button to download and cache maps. Any ideas?

If the map download button is truly gone then perhaps it's a forewarning that the maps that will one day prevent you from powering on your solo in a no fly zone are not available for you to download or cache. Maybe a licensing issue.

Last edited:
If the map download button is truly gone then perhaps it's a forewarning that the maps that will one day prevent you from powering on your solo in a no fly zone are not available for you to download or cache. Maybe a licensing issue.
Interesting, their current (online) manual refers to it. The map area I was trying to download was nowhere near any airports. I do not see any way the 3dr would remove this feature. Perhaps create some "no-fly" zones around airports, but I do not see them removing the map caching feature. I will send a ticket to 3dr, thanks

I think it automatically caches maps, easy to check just view maps at home on wifi then power up solo and see if the maps remain after you link to solo.

you can cache maps as long as it's not google.. It does work with map box still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Klepper
Might have something to do with the imminent closure of the Google Earth API.
DJI has scrapped all support for their groundstation as functionality will be severly limited without Google Earth maps, and DJI is providing refunds for people that bought recently. The rest of their users with DJI groundstation will find that it will magically stop functioning in mid December, unbelievable.
Google Earth API To Be Retired December 2015 - Techaeris

Well, that's pretty dumb to build, or continue, a product on something that was announced over a year ago that it was going to be deprecated. Wonder why they would use Google Earth API and not the maps api.

you can cache maps as long as it's not google.. It does work with map box still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You are correct. I discovered this two days ago. You have to select "Map Box" as the "Map Tile Provider" in the settings in the app. I wonder why they continue to offer Google maps if it no longer works! Thanks for responding

Reactions: prowler9
Is this discussion about the solo app or tower? I have map box setup in tower on my tab 4. But I also have an iPad mini. Where in the settings of the solo app do you choose map provider?

Is this discussion about the solo app or tower? I have map box setup in tower on my tab 4. But I also have an iPad mini. Where in the settings of the solo app do you choose map provider?
  1. This is about Solo App
  2. Choose "settings"
  3. Choose "Map Tile Provider"

1. This is about Solo App
  2. Choose "settings"
  3. Choose "Map Tile Provider"

Ok, this option is not available on my iPad mini 2 with cell service. It is available on my tab 4 with wifi only. As I've yet to get a solo, I haven't been able to play much with either tablet. Hoping to next month.

I am currently testing the new Beta version of the Solo app. On my Nexus 7 tablet, in the field maps that were cached did not show up, just a blank screen with the solo icon. 3DR had me try the Beta today to resolve that problem. I have downloaded many satellite maps of my area and hope to test soon. I will report back my findings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44