What drone should i buy my son?

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Thread title says it all.
what drone should i buy my son for birthday?

All of them.

Please, help us help you. You know there is a big differences with a 5 yr, 17 yr and 50 year old son. Is your budget $50, $900, $1,500 or 5k. I can ask 20 more questions to help down select the tremendous options. Without more details how could any feedback be helpful? Please come back with details and opinions will fly your way. or at least I'll ask more questions .lol. We are here to help each other

Burke

What burke said...

Drones or a more precise name "multirotor" or UAS prices, their video/photo quality, parts quality and "customer service" vary rather alot..

This price list will give you an idea as too what to look for....and what you think is appropiate for ur son.
$50,- Upto $500,- are toy UAV's,
Video/Photo quality worse then the cheapest cellphone and the range is no more then a few hundred feet.
Spare parts are usually hard to get.
This Hubsan has proven to be a good learner multirotor for alot of us, and can also be used indoors! (Not all UAV's will work indoors!)
Hubsan is one of the better brands to go with, theyre customer service is helpful.
Hubsan

$800,- Upto $15000,- are Prosumer models Video/Photo quality and range is way better and spare parts are sold.
Customer service in the Prosumer Class is better then in the Toy Class.
The 3DR Solo falls in this catagory.
Solo Smart Drone | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

$30K Upto $300.000 are the Pro multirotors, which do not come with camera's.
These models are often used by Hollywood studios, which can carry complete 3D cinema camera setups / carry payloads upto 120lbs.
And are usually dual tranciever controlled, one tranciever for the UAV and one to control the gimbal and camera.

So, i guess the first question you will have to ask yourself is...
How serious is your son about aerial photo/videographing?

Or does he just want one because its a trend at the moment?

Im asking that, because...if the FAA gets their way, this new trend, can and is going to cost a small fortune for the serious people among us who want to keep flying.

Since the FAA is currently working on making a multirotor flying license mandatory.
This is due to some kid posting a bunch of high risk flight multirotor video's on youtube...
High Risk Videos meaning: flying way too close to people, buildings, cars on the road, trains, etc!
The FAA sued that "kid"!
Just so you know.

Also...before buying and flying a multirotor/Drone/UAS read the current flight regulations here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems
And keep checking that website, preferably before each flight.
Also make sure that the chosen area to fly is not restricted by the FAA regs, since the fines and lawsuits are no "childsplay"!
If the area IS restricted, the only way to prevent serious fines and / or lawsuits is by asking the FAA, the local authorities, landowner and or the local governing city counsel for a permit, which might cost you a few $$, just to fly in that area...
To make photo's and video's require yet another permit!

The UAS world is no place for Reckless Kids, especially not, now the FAA stepped in,....
thanks too,...."A Reckless Kid"...
As far as the FAA is concerned, YOU / "The Operator" are just as responsible for YOUR UAS as Commercial Pilots are for their Boeing 777!
Therefore THINK carefully before buying a UAS for a "Kid"!
Buy the Yuneec Q4K..blows Phantoms and Solos away...you won't be disappointed with your Quad or Yuneecs customer service

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44