weatherproofing

lee

Reaction score
hi has anyone weatherproofed the solo yet, was going to strip the solo down and seal the controller unit,
also i am coating the outer frame for heat due to flying in the sudan later
any thoughts ?
thanks

Reactions: lsmith1981
I've heard of CorrosionX for weatherproofing but don't know anyone who has tried it. I'm interested to know as well, since I live in an area that can get short bouts of moisture/rain.

Here's a YouTube video on waterproofing using CorrosionX. I heard that the barometre might need special treatment as it won't work well being sprayed. I don't know if there are other sensitive spots. The Pixhawk 2 is also an unknown - need to open it up to spray?

Anyone with experience with this, please chime in.

Waterproofing Electronics

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
i was thinking of using a silicon clear mold then hot seal it

i was thinking of using a silicon clear mold then hot seal it
As in the whole body or all the electronics under the battery? If I'm understanding you correctly, you'll have issues with your barometre if you do that.

I use corrosion X on all of my equipment that has a chance of getting wet. I focus it's application on all connectors and solder joints. I look for what could get corroded and cause damage, it gets coated. My Solo sat in a field over night while it rained so it got coated - two motors burned up prior. My P2V+ became a submarine and continues to fly today after corrision X. Now we are talking a pretty coin for these craft so proceed with caution and use at your own risk.

I use corrosion X on all of my equipment that has a chance of getting wet. I focus it's application on all connectors and solder joints. I look for what could get corroded and cause damage, it gets coated. My Solo sat in a field over night while it rained so it got coated - two motors burned up prior. My P2V+ became a submarine and continues to fly today after corrision X. Now we are talking a pretty coin for these craft so proceed with caution and use at your own risk.

I've heard mixed accounts on whether CorrosionX dries to a smooth finish or remains slightly oily sticky/slick and can capture dust/dirt? What's your experience?

Also, have your ESCs continued to function when wet after using CorrosionX? I don't need submarine action :p but if it were to suddenly rain, would an ESC stop mid-flight after a soaking in CorrosionX?

It does leave a film so you can blow off the excess. I'm more worried about the corrosion more then the dust. I have never had a failure do to the cX, if I did I won't be using it. I only us it on the high end electronics at the risk of moisture and preventative maintenance after the presence moisture. Why introduce another variable on to the system? In the cases of my uav they were wet before I used it. The P2V+ was under water and the solo was left in a field overnight with heavy rain. After a through cleaning and drying I coated areas of concern with cX and blow off excess. I personally see no point in putting it on a new craft in my flying environments.

It does leave a film so you can blow off the excess. I'm more worried about the corrosion more then the dust. I have never had a failure do to the cX, if I did I won't be using it. I only us it on the high end electronics at the risk of moisture and preventative maintenance after the presence moisture. Why introduce another variable on to the system? In the cases of my uav they were wet before I used it. The P2V+ was under water and the solo was left in a field overnight with heavy rain. After a through cleaning and drying I coated areas of concern with cX and blow off excess. I personally see no point in putting it on a new craft in my flying environments.
Thank you for your insight.

Reactions: Burkeam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado