Watching Solo video on PC

Thanks for the tips. I was able to get it working on my Mac as per TaylorR137 said. The 5502 port is the port the app uses for commands. If you connect to that port it tells the controller to start the video stream. The 5600 port is used for the actual stream. By using nc 10.1.1.1 5502 it tricks the controller to thinking the app is connected and hence starts the stream.

I've been trying to get the stream to play in an Android app I'm developing using a VideoView, however it appears not to recognise the stream. Any app developers out there manage to get it to work? I know it works in Tower, but the code is very convoluted and I'm sure there must be a simpler way.

Reactions: erikgraham
I, too, am working on an Android app. After hours of researching this, here are my findings. It works with Ubuntu 14.04 and a Nexus 7 2013.

• Yes, you MUST first initiate a connection to the controller from the target device. You can do this by doing:
    • nc 10.1.1.1 5502 on a Linux computer that you want to send the stream to
    • OR if you want to stream it to a phone, open the Solo app then switch out of it and open the SDP file you created below using your media player.
  • The SDP file provided by 3DR worked fine. In case it disappears here it is. Paste this inside a notepad file and then save it as sololink.sdp
    • Code:
      c=IN IP4 10.1.1.1
      m=video 5600 RTP/AVP 96
      a=rtpmap:96 H264/90000
      t=0 0
  • You can only have one connection at a time until someone or 3DR implements a multiplexer that works just like MAVProxy to allow multiple streams at once.

For Androids, (iOS devices untested), download VLC player or MX Player (or any video player capable of playing streams) then you can use a file manager to open the newly created SDP. Just a warning though that you should expect a delay of up to 3 seconds. I'm still trying to figure out how the Solo app is able to stream near real time. I suspect it has to do with the app streaming at a much lower resolution.​

As far as getting a live feed in a custom Android app using the native media player, I'm figuring that out too. :) I know it's possible but just not that experienced in app development. Let me know if you find out!

If you want to take pictures with the GoPro via Python, please see these sources:

Source 1

Source 2

I plan to create a repo at some point in the future to keep a collection of all interesting things I can find and useful tips such as this to prevent repeat efforts. Hope it helps!

Reactions: Daniel Sack
I tested it in Linux Ubuntu. You have to run nc 10.1.1.1 5502 in terminal first. Then use VLC to open sdp file. The official documentations don't say that.

UPDATE:
Okay, I figured out my issue.
The Nexus and Mac cannot be connected to Solo wifi at the same time because the video feed to the Solo app trumps the attempt to view it in VLC on a laptop, which contradicts the developer docs:

"First, we need to tell Solo that we want to enable video output. The easiest way to do so is to connect to Solo via Solo mobile app, which will tell Solo to start streaming video. Leave this open."

ORIGINAL POST:

I am still unable to see the live stream in VLC on my Mac.

Nexus 7 connected to Solo wifi
Solo app open and video feed viewable
Macbook connected to Solo wifi
In terminal: nc 10.1.1.1 5502
VLC: File -> Open File -> sololink.sdp (also tried Advanced Open with treat as pipe checked)

In VLC the play button turns to a pause button for a short period of time, then turns back to play and the duration column reads 00:00. No window opens with the live feed from Solo.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Okay, I figured out my issue.
The Nexus and Mac cannot be connected to Solo wifi at the same time because the video feed to the Solo app trumps the attempt to view it in VLC on a laptop, which contradicts the developer docs:

"First, we need to tell Solo that we want to enable video output. The easiest way to do so is to connect to Solo via Solo mobile app, which will tell Solo to start streaming video. Leave this open."

ORIGINAL POST:

I am still unable to see the live stream in VLC on my Mac.

Nexus 7 connected to Solo wifi
Solo app open and video feed viewable
Macbook connected to Solo wifi
In terminal: nc 10.1.1.1 5502
VLC: File -> Open File -> sololink.sdp (also tried Advanced Open with treat as pipe checked)

In VLC the play button turns to a pause button for a short period of time, then turns back to play and the duration column reads 00:00. No window opens with the live feed from Solo.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my mac. I couldn't figure it out, but I did get it to work fine on my windows machine using VLC, and on the exact same network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While this thread has somewhat stagnated, I just want to let everyone know that you can do this on a PC as well, using a telnet client (such as PuTTY) to connect to the same address (10.1.1.1:5502), cancelling the gstreamer warning, then opening the sdp file described above.

I sure hope there is still someone looking at this thread. I followed the instructions and it worked, but here is the problem. I now want to undo these changes because shortly after I implemented them, My solo stopped streaming to tower or the solo app. I suspect that it is now perpetually trying to stream only to my target device. I have already factory reset the solo, and the problem persists. Can anyone help me?

I sure hope there is still someone looking at this thread. I followed the instructions and it worked, but here is the problem. I now want to undo these changes because shortly after I implemented them, My solo stopped streaming to tower or the solo app. I suspect that it is now perpetually trying to stream only to my target device. I have already factory reset the solo, and the problem persists. Can anyone help me?

Try rebooting your GoPro.

The changes you made using the guide here are all temporary and will reset themselves when the Solo reboots. No factory reset necessary.

thanks for your speedy reply, but already tried that. reset the Gopro both hard and soft method. The thing is: I have tried combinations of other 3dr solo gimbals that are known to work, and three other Gopro cameras that work on other ships. All of the camera controls work through both apps (tower and solo app) just doesn't have any video. of course I have verified that the HDMI cables are plugged in all the way. Another item worthy of note: This is not the first solo that this has happened on for me. The first time it happened, I converted that ship to a nadir only mapping camera and just learned to live with the lack of video feed, but this second rig is my video rig, so not having a feed is totally unacceptable. I wonder if there is a way for me to determine if these problems are hardware or software. footnote: I tried to get it to stream using the methods in this thread today, and that no longer works either... I'm starting to think some well placed velcro and my old fpv transmitter might be the best solution. Anyway, if anyone can tell me how to locate the files in the solo that are responsible for handling video streaming, it would be greatly appreciated.

You've probably already tried this but since it wasn't mentioned in your post have you rebooted your device (tablet/phone)?

Has it been in a crash or hard knock of any kind? My guess would be a loose hdmi solder. From what I've seen in the forums it doesn't take much to knock it out sometimes given the heavy duty HDMI cable.

You sound experienced so forgive the basic questions but sometimes basic questions are all it takes to solve an issue.

no worries, I'm very knowledgeable about somethings, and less so others. have rebooted devices, and tried others. No joy on that. I will take some time to tear it apart this weekend, and have a look at the solder joints. It hasn't been in any crashes, but I do often scuttle them through tight access ways onto rooftops where I work. They get banged around a little bit. The first one that stopped streaming was purchased used from a friend that did crash it several times. She also left it on in the backpack for quite some time on a VERY hot day. By the time she discovered it, she said the whole solo was too hot to comfortably hold. That is definitely in support of the SMC solder argument. I'll let you know what I find. My main problem, is that I am fairly new to linux, so I have a hard time finding things when I SSH into the solo or the controller. I wondered if anyone new how I could look at a file tree or something.

Best of luck with the tear down.

The easiest way to explore the file system is to use Filezilla or WinSCP.

Edit: Here's a short list of useful commands when you're SSHed in for future reference. All are case sensitive and only type the letters on the left hand side and press enter.

ls = list directory just like Window's dir command

cd = change directory (i.e. cd /home)

I'm not sure what you'll find though since this doesn't sound anything like a software issue.

While this thread has somewhat stagnated, I just want to let everyone know that you can do this on a PC as well, using a telnet client (such as PuTTY) to connect to the same address (10.1.1.1:5502), cancelling the gstreamer warning, then opening the sdp file described above.
Thank you!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo