was gonna Return Solo for Mavic but....

Go to YouTube / search DJI Mavic / pick any video from the results list.
I guess I didn't really make my point... Solo videos are as steady as any I've seen and more than most, including Mavic.

Reactions: SARDG
hmm i wonder if i want a smooth shot or risk hitting something....i'll glad trim out the unsmooth part to know that my quadcopter will avoid obstacles.

hmm i wonder if i want a smooth shot or risk hitting something....i'll glad trim out the unsmooth part to know that my quadcopter will avoid obstacles.
Your quad isn't just going to cozy right up close to a bird in a tree and set up that perfect shot - I have a feeling you'll need a pilot for that.
In fact in may even prevent you from getting the shot.

Obstacle avoidance and sensors galore are impressive tech, but when the copter screeches to a halt or darts off course to avoid something, it kinda ruins the shot. And since most of us are flying these to capture video, the purpose seems lost either way - if you're out to capture smooth video, you won't fly into things that would trigger OA. If OA is being triggered, your smooth shot is ruined, so you'll set out to NOT fly into things that would trigger OA.

Optical flow for rock solid position holds is a desirable feature, but all the rest are largely lost on me personally. I'm impressed by the Mavic in terms of it's size/portability and it's range, but all the sensors... on a fpv/practice quad, great, but on a camera platform, I could take them or leave them, with a preference for leaving them.
Interesting point

that wasn't my point
his comparison is similar to saying airbags in a car can hurt you even if it's a safety feature.
or that ABS/traction control/other nanny aids ruin the dynamics of a car

i'd rather have a safety feature and have it interrupt my shot then not seeing something and flying into it. It also will make more confident flying when you're off in a distance and it's hard to gauge proximity to obstacles.

Reactions: eclipseforever
that wasn't my point
his comparison is similar to saying airbags in a car can hurt you even if it's a safety feature.
or that ABS/traction control/other nanny aids ruin the dynamics of a car

i'd rather have a safety feature and have it interrupt my shot then not seeing something and flying into it. It also will make more confident flying when you're off in a distance and it's hard to gauge proximity to obstacles.
That is an absolutely false set of comparisons.
For the purposes for which Solo is intended - capturing aerial photos and video - precise control isn't just desired but mandatory. If you simply want to fly around having fun, fly a model airplane... hell, they're still the most fun from a seat-of-the-pants aspect.
Or go hog wild and fly a big glow-engined scale helicopter.
Bluntly put, drones were made so virtually anyone could fly them. Does the phrase "even a monkey can do it" sound familiar? The more inexperienced the operator, the greater the necessity for autopiloting features.
Sure, it's great having technology that virtually flies the thing for you. But if, as you suggest, you're a long way from base, how exactly are you going to line those shots up in the first place?
People fly for different reasons of course, be it simply for fun, performing challenging acrobatics, plain relaxation... or making videos. Your ultimate self-aware super smartbird is gonna be in a pretty pickle when you find yourself fighting the controls just to get the damned thing within ten feet of that weird rock outcropping 75 feet up you want to examine because it doesn't want to GO there.
If all you intend to do is see how far away you can fly, make roughly framed footage, and maintain control like you were there - which is pretty much what every misinformed anti-drone nut is genuinely afraid of - then hey, knock yourself out.
Just don't make the mistake of believing everyone else needs or wants the same rig you're using.

that wasn't my point
or that ABS/traction control/other nanny aids ruin the dynamics of a car.

False comparison, as safety features (airbags, ABS, etc.) don't inherently limit or negatively effect the purpose or operation of the vehicle.

Fair enough, and like I said, it's impressive tech that I'd gladly have on my FPV/practice quads. When I'm flying the Solo though, I'm either glued to the video feed and/or have scouted the area and planned the shot to avoid obstacles, so those features aren't as useful for me for what I use the Solo for. I can see them being useful if you film more... on the fly, so to speak.

OA is a safety feature
your shot may be "ruined" but your bird is safe.
SRS airbags are also safety features ( although one time-use)
one does not continue operation of a vehicle once airbags are triggered...so yes it's a comparison worth some merit.

If you want cinematic camera moves and you are not a great drone pilot - just stick to solo!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
wow! what a cinematic shot bro looks like a holywood filming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44