was gonna Return Solo for Mavic but....

Reaction score
I preordered the Mavic a few days ago and with a release date for Oct 31 and now they send an email saying Nov 30th at best buy. I cancelled it. Go pro karma isn't even in the stores as they promised and their website says Nov 28th. I think I'm gonna stick it out with the 3dr. I was flying it over weekend and i got the bag for $50 and now with the linear mode on go pro...

Reactions: CWick22
I've had solo for like a year and half now. I still like it. Only thing I'm worried about are parts availability in future. Thinking about picking up new solo bundle at bestbuy. But, I think i'm going to buy MAVIC too!

Reactions: eclipseforever
I've had solo for like a year and half now. I still like it. Only thing I'm worried about are parts availability in future. Thinking about picking up new solo bundle at bestbuy. But, I think i'm going to buy MAVIC too!
i picked up extra props and batteries from best buy...hmmm i should get an extra battery charger since its proprietary

i picked up extra props and batteries from best buy...hmmm i should get an extra battery charger since its proprietary
Personally, I would not get extra parts/accessories like the charger - or even the controller. Chances of the charger failing are very low as it sits and charges inside, not flies and crashes outside. You'll eventually be able to pick those up cheap if needed when people lose or terminally crash their Solo. Just go get another Solo bundle for parts - that's what I consider my 4th Solo... a new-parts bin.

Personally, I would not get extra parts/accessories like the charger - or even the controller. Chances of the charger failing are very low as it sits and charges inside, not flies and crashes outside. You'll eventually be able to pick those up cheap if needed when people lose or terminally crash their Solo. Just go get another Solo bundle for parts - that's what I consider my 4th Solo... a new-parts bin.
good point

parts availability in future.
I actually sent an E-mail to 3DR and found out that they'll still support the solo and other drones, but they are leaving the consumer market and moving on to the industrial market, where DJI is nonexistent.

I think DJI origially said they were shipping Oct 16 and didn't start shipping until a week later. Mind you they had reps on forums communicating with impatient pre-order customers like myself.

Karma is delayed a few weeks after already being delayed 6 months+. Honestly, things are not looking good for the GoPro camp. I give them 2-3 years in this market...we'll see i guess.

don't forget 3DR Solo shipping date was May...one month late no big deal...then they went complete silent for 2 months while letting reviews give them bad press. 3 months late as a complete setup with a few gimbal issues. At least they gave everyone a free battery for their mess-up....something DJI will never do.

tl;dr it's not uncommon to rushes out quadcopter announcement and/or releases. This business is cut-throat. You have to play dirty to win...except 3DR played dirty and still lost.

Last edited:
I have 2 SOLO's and 1 P3 Pro was going to preorder a maviic as an addtional quad because it so portable. But after reading this article GoPro Karma Drone and also i already have 2 gopros with no handheld gimbal I think i will go with Karma.

I have 2 SOLO's and 1 P3 Pro was going to preorder a maviic as an addtional quad because it so portable. But after reading this article GoPro Karma Drone and also i already have 2 gopros with no handheld gimbal I think i will go with Karma.
I've pre-ordered my Mavic, and though the delays are extremely annoying I'm going to wait like a good little boy. The advantages of Mavic over Karma are so numerous there's really no contest.

I've pre-ordered my Mavic, and though the delays are extremely annoying I'm going to wait like a good little boy. The advantages of Mavic over Karma are so numerous there's really no contest.
You’re right, Mavic is very tempting, has way more superior advance specs and tech with all those sensors/cameras and 7Km fly range and sexier looks. I think It made Gopro stock price down after its launching event. I watched those 2 launching events online and comparing the specs that's why I decided to pre ordered Mavic before. But after reading that article and considering my budget and what I currently own right now (gopro’s,Solo’s and P3 Pro ) also I need an handheld gimbal (thinking about buying Feiyu G4 before, that’s another $$$) I think Karma just enough for me as an additional drones on portable size (at least with my budget and needs) and use that $200 extras for 2 spare batteries (or maybe just 1 and spend another $100 on something for my wife to make her stop complain :)). I mostly use my drones for making videos and rarely fly my drones out of line of sight or indoor. And since my Gopro 4 can be used in Karma it's more easy for me to do post prod by applying the same Gopro setting on those birds. Also Karma has similar smartshots with SOLO such as cable cam and dronie and if I’m not mistaken Karma controller also has GPS inside?
Still can’t get Mavic out of my mind it’s really cool to have one…wish I have that extra money…. :)

I don't think you really can compare Solo and the mavic, I preordered the Mavic since I want to start with City shots. I am hoping to get mine before my trip to Mexico City next month. I don't think the solo is that great to be flown in tighter spaces, and based on the reviews Mavic should be easier to maniouver and even fly indoors with no problems. Another plus on Mavic is how compact it is specially if you are planning to carry it on a plane often.I still love my Solo thou, and get great shots in open spaces.

Good point. Might as well since u are invested.

You’re right, Mavic is very tempting, has way more superior advance specs and tech with all those sensors/cameras and 7Km fly range and sexier looks. I think It made Gopro stock price down after its launching event. I watched those 2 launching events online and comparing the specs that's why I decided to pre ordered Mavic before. But after reading that article and considering my budget and what I currently own right now (gopro’s,Solo’s and P3 Pro ) also I need an handheld gimbal (thinking about buying Feiyu G4 before, that’s another $$$) I think Karma just enough for me as an additional drones on portable size (at least with my budget and needs) and use that $200 extras for 2 spare batteries (or maybe just 1 and spend another $100 on something for my wife to make her stop complain :)). I mostly use my drones for making videos and rarely fly my drones out of line of sight or indoor. And since my Gopro 4 can be used in Karma it's more easy for me to do post prod by applying the same Gopro setting on those birds. Also Karma has similar smartshots with SOLO such as cable cam and dronie and if I’m not mistaken Karma controller also has GPS inside?
Still can’t get Mavic out of my mind it’s really cool to have one…wish I have that extra money…. :)
Yea see that what I thought too. We own GoPro a already so karma is the cheaper choice especially with the linear mode now but mavic beats it all across for a little more. Technology man I can't get enough

Reactions: Agung
I own 2 Solo units (one never taken out of the box) and one which I have heavily modified to improve performance, but I can't wait to get my hands on a Mavic. I am so jealous of all the rock-steady footage that I see online from the Mavic - something I could never achieve with my Solo. Not to mention the extreme range and portability, plus double the flight time compared to Solo.

I own 2 Solo units (one never taken out of the box) and one which I have heavily modified to improve performance, but I can't wait to get my hands on a Mavic. I am so jealous of all the rock-steady footage that I see online from the Mavic - something I could never achieve with my Solo. Not to mention the extreme range and portability, plus double the flight time compared to Solo.
Exactly what rock-steady video are your referring to?

If you want cinematic camera moves and you are not a great drone pilot - just stick to solo!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
Obstacle avoidance and sensors galore are impressive tech, but when the copter screeches to a halt or darts off course to avoid something, it kinda ruins the shot. And since most of us are flying these to capture video, the purpose seems lost either way - if you're out to capture smooth video, you won't fly into things that would trigger OA. If OA is being triggered, your smooth shot is ruined, so you'll set out to NOT fly into things that would trigger OA.

Optical flow for rock solid position holds is a desirable feature, but all the rest are largely lost on me personally. I'm impressed by the Mavic in terms of it's size/portability and it's range, but all the sensors... on a fpv/practice quad, great, but on a camera platform, I could take them or leave them, with a preference for leaving them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44