Wanna make money with my drone?

Reaction score
how do I make money with my drone legally? Without haveing 333 I'm new to the drone stuff and wanna make money with my solo??? But how? I can't afford thousands of dollars for certificates ?

Legally from all I've heard you can't, legally your supposed to have a pilot present to profit from anything on top of an exemption even. Hopefully the rules change a bit when they are formed for UAVs cause I'd also love to work with my quads and have even had offers to do so. Can't be paid in cash to do so though, and you can't advertise services without an exemption, from all I've heard or read so far at least. The exemption app site has all your rules and regulations and a faq to learn all the specific info though if you want to check it out.

Guys with experience please correct me if I'm wrong as that does happen especially on a subject I've just begun to look into like this, but I'm pretty sure we're sol unless we have pilots handy or become one ourselves for now at least.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
It's correct with the above statement! Me being a pilot for 8 years I JUST NOW got done getting my 333 exempt form. Even after that I am amazed I had to register a recreational drone with the FAA. Even with meeting with the inspector as well I was surprised that they stated if I were not a pilot at the time I would take my solo or any other one out and fly it for money it would be considered illegal and your could face a fine enforced by the FAA.

Legally from all I've heard you can't, legally your supposed to have a pilot present to profit from anything on top of an exemption even. Hopefully the rules change a bit when they are formed for UAVs cause I'd also love to work with my quads and have even had offers to do so. Can't be paid in cash to do so though, and you can't advertise services without an exemption, from all I've heard or read so far at least. The exemption app site has all your rules and regulations and a faq to learn all the specific info though if you want to check it out.

Guys with experience please correct me if I'm wrong as that does happen especially on a subject I've just begun to look into like this, but I'm pretty sure we're sol unless we have pilots handy or become one ourselves for now at least.
So I just got to be careful and sneaky I guess.. Thanx man!

Reactions: prowler9
It's correct with the above statement! Me being a pilot for 8 years I JUST NOW got done getting my 333 exempt form. Even after that I am amazed I had to register a recreational drone with the FAA. Even with meeting with the inspector as well I was surprised that they stated if I were not a pilot at the time I would take my solo or any other one out and fly it for money it would be considered illegal and your could face a fine enforced by the FAA.
Why did you have to meet with an inspector?

That's soo ridicules but what can ya do huh. Do u think they will make it easer eventually I can't pay no wear near that much for a license

Why did you have to meet with an inspector?

To be completely honest - being a pilot I did not want to do ANYTHING to warrant a violation on my Airman Certificate and risk the chance to loose it. I contacted the Charlotte FSDO (Flight Standard District Office) most cities have one nearby or number to call. With it being so close to where I live I took the 20 min drive and went there showed my drones and got the correct paperwork to mail to OKC to complete the 333. Each state might have different regulations but the FAA controls ALL airspace esp above 400 feet. And I wanted to make sure if we stated doing aerial photography and getting paid for it I was doing it correctly. Charlotte, NC is home of two ,major lakes Lake Norman and Lake Wylie and both have houses on it that ask for us to get shots so before I went further I went for peace of mind about what was allowed and what wasnt. Most FSDO'a have 1 or 2 inspectors your gonna have to talk to certified in drone regulations. On a side note I also went to find the truth about legally being kicked out of places I fly. Several of us can go on one day and the next day some park ranger is like WTF is that your flying and the min you respond quad copter or drone they ask you to leave asap! This happened so much that I went to the county's parks and rec department to pull ordinances to only find we don't have any.

Thanks for the confirmation from both a pilot and someone who's been through the exemption process already. Congrats on solo and on finishing your exemption, I'm hoping to at least be able to do one of the two if not both sooner or later.

Also welcome to the forum glad to have new members who I'm sure have plenty to offer as far as experience in flying since you pilot full sized. A lot of great and experienced folks here and much less arguing and trolling than I've seen in most other solo forums. I'm not all that great or all that experienced(going on two years) just yet, but I try to help pass on what's been handed down to me so far.

So I just got to be careful and sneaky I guess.. Thanx man!

Just be careful doing it that way. Min fine for it can be $10,000.00 and a year in prison and if you incurredon't any aircraft dam age or caused a plane to divert or abort landing etc your Def gonna wanna run!

Reactions: Saturn13
Yea it may let ya make a few bucks for a while, but I'd like to eventually actually do it in place of a job that I hate that pays the bills for now. That's just not possible without advertising so I am at least hoping that they lighten up a bit for AP or other uses for multis. There's not a lot of options locally and there is demand, but I'd hate to run into trouble then have more lax "drone" laws and not be able to get an exemption cause I jumped the gun.

For now I'm just gaining experience and getting better with flying, filming and editing for fun and to enjoy or maybe post a bit. I'm hoping the new regs make it more realistic for a non pilot, I have no issue taking classes or passing a test to get a certificate or exemption. Actually the opposite I hope we all are eventually required to take some sort of test to cut down on the idiots and bad press, but it'd be nice if it was a realistic one that's not hundreds of actual craft hours and 10000 bucks to obtain. If they use common sense I think most would rather go the legal route and it would help with safety and bad press surrounding "drones" at the moment.

Yeah I just wanna record music with vide

if I'm just flying for fun not money in a safe eviroment I am fine though right??
Absolutely like stated do everything you want for fun..... fly away. It's just the moment the FAA finds out your doing it for money or for a job. Then it becomes illegal, and stay below 400 ft above ground surface. Stay away from all airports and check the local aviation weather site to make sure there are no TFR's you plan to fly in.

Absolutely like stated do everything you want for fun..... fly away. It's just the moment the FAA finds out your doing it for money or for a job. Then it becomes illegal, and stay below 400 ft above ground surface. Stay away from all airports and check the local aviation weather site to make sure there are no TFR's you plan to fly in.
What are Tfrs

What are Tfrs

Temporary Flight Restrictions. Mostly put up in times like football games, nascar, fairs, music concerts, etc. FAA will establish them a couple of days before the event and they go for "X" amount of distance from a certain altitude to the surface (ground level) around the named event

Temporary Flight Restrictions. Mostly put up in times like football games, nascar, fairs, music concerts, etc. FAA will establish them a couple of days before the event and they go for "X" amount of distance from a certain altitude to the surface (ground level) around the named event
Ohh ok Kool thanx for the info man!

And yet I still wonder how virtually all outdoor concerts/events down here in South Florida have a UAV flying above? It seems event coordinators are hiring or even flying themselves.
I personally know someone who gets hired to film events for ESPN, NBC, etc... But we're told by FAA not to fly around crowds of people. Interesting.

And yet I still wonder how virtually all outdoor concerts/events down here in South Florida have a UAV flying above? It seems event coordinators are hiring or even flying themselves.
I personally know someone who gets hired to film events for ESPN, NBC, etc... But we're told by FAA not to fly around crowds of people. Interesting.

Well you sorta answered your own statement. The EVENT coordinator flying it isn't gonna get in trouble over it cause it's his event and his insurance who's gonna have to pay out if something happens. As for everything else it's only matter of time before FAA stops everything else. I know personally they already stepped in on two companies here locally that tried doing it for money. I'm not gonna fight the federal govt on it and risk loosing my Airman Certificate, but it's clearly defined in the rules and regulations on faa.gov and search drone.

True about the event coordinators, but as per an FAA rep I met at the Florida Unmanned Business Expo, "we are not the police, so we don't seek out people" and "we only investigate if the person was flying in a wreckless manner or endangering others".
Unfortunately, there are two rules of thought:
Get 333 exemption, get pilots license, get airframe registered, fly under 400ft and within 500ft bubble the COA allows.
or
Do you own thing and just don't put yourself in a questionable position, i.e. Civil lawsuit for unauthorized capture of someone's image, violation of the "expectation of privacy" even if in a public place and most of all don't crash into someone or someone's property.
I've seen very few of the first and an overwhelming amount of the second.
Guess it's all a matter of what you want to risk.
I even know a realtor who got 333 exempted only for the reason like yours. He did not want to risk his private pilots license. But when asked he said if he did not have the license he would go the "illegal" route even though he somewhat is already because the National Association of Reators explicitly forbids Reators to use drones for their listings.

To be completely honest - being a pilot I did not want to do ANYTHING to warrant a violation on my Airman Certificate and risk the chance to loose it.

A rather sad irony where those with the most familiarity with aviation safety in general are at the greatest risk given the power that the FAA has over them. Not to say that a licensed pilot would necessarily be a better drone pilot but it seems a reasonable assumption that one having gone through the steps to get a private pilot's license they at least start out with an advantage of someone who just got a drone for Christmas and is completely clueless. :rolleyes:

I assume this to be the case, but does the licensed pilot need to be current to "legally" operate a drone for commercial purposes? My father has a pilot's license, but hasn't flown in probably 10 years or more. If the opportunity to film with the Solo commercially arose, I'm just wondering if I could get away just having my father be present. Probably not.

Man, more reasonable rules are sourly needed. Having flown real planes (small Cessnas) and RC vehicles myself, I can't imagine the skills needed to do the former make any difference whatsoever in the ability to do the latter. They're just so inherently different, with real planes being soooo much easier to fly than RC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig