Wanna make money with my drone?

In a word, yes. You have the cash to buy the drone, save some more and do it properly. Jail sux.
If someone offers me money to film a music video and I say cash only to avoid a paper trail and tell them that if anyone ask I'm doing it for free then I shuld be fine rite?

If someone offers me money to film a music video and I say cash only to avoid a paper trail and tell them that if anyone ask I'm doing it for free then I shuld be fine rite?
And my drone was a gift I'm broke [expletive removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
And my drone was a gift I'm broke

Ok then, let us all know how that stands up in court champ.
Good luck!
(You could always cut back on hair product and earrings... that might save some $$)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Burkeam

Ah, no. The FAA will find out, and come down on you like a ton of bricks.

A bit like the risk you're putting the public under, something really heavy falling on their head without notice....

"Low" is a bit of an overstatement :(
Sure it was a blow, but I reckon I've done him a favour, fines and/or jail sux.
(Plus nobody needs to be that vain do they? Especially if they are going to go around admitting they can't afford to do things legally. Sheesh.)

how do I make money with my drone legally? Without haveing 333 I'm new to the drone stuff and wanna make money with my solo??? But how? I can't afford thousands of dollars for certificates ?
Fly outside the US. You can sell that footage in the US with no repercussions from the FAA. Of course you have to be cognizant of local laws wherever you fly, but most countries do not have the same strict commercial use rules. As long as you follow whatever guidelines they do have in terms of altitude, flying around populated areas, flying near airports, etc, then they don't mind if you sell the footage in the US.

I assume this to be the case, but does the licensed pilot need to be current to "legally" operate a drone for commercial purposes? My father has a pilot's license, but hasn't flown in probably 10 years or more. If the opportunity to film with the Solo commercially arose, I'm just wondering if I could get away just having my father be present. Probably not.

Man, more reasonable rules are sourly needed. Having flown real planes (small Cessnas) and RC vehicles myself, I can't imagine the skills needed to do the former make any difference whatsoever in the ability to do the latter. They're just so inherently different, with real planes being soooo much easier to fly than RC.
I don't think you need to be current, as the FAA paperwork says you can substitute a valid drivers license for a medical.

I don't think you need to be current, as the FAA paperwork says you can substitute a valid drivers license for a medical.
...and in response to the query from User Name, I think the licensing requirements are as much about knowledge of the safety rules and ability to communicate with other aircraft, as it is to do with skill sets.
If its anything like the licensing we have in Australia, it really isn't that onerous. Get it underway asap, and you will be glad when it all happens.

Reactions: Maddog
Anyone receive feedback from FSDO related to 333 exemptions for non-licensed? I'm wondering if anyone has tested the FAA in respect to education and training that would provide a level of safety consistent with FAA flight standards.

In other words approval for someone who has attended a formal ground school as an example.

Last edited:
And my drone was a gift I'm broke as shit
There are many ways to cut corners in life but only fools do so in the aviation industry - even if it's only a UAV Don't give up on your dreams but try your hardest to play ball by the rules else please find something to play with.
People suggest I'm pro regulations which I'm typically not however I believe the aviation industry is not for everyone. The people in the industry have made personal and financial sacrifices to get where they are at. I know of only a few cases it came for free. I will find it a sad day if people can just starting using their UAS commercially like driving cars because there are a whole lot of dumb a$$ putzing along in the left lane with no regards to efficient traffic patterns.

When you do it for commercial purposes you should have the mind set that you are a professional. You know, think and prepare differently then others. You prep, you plan, you use check lists, you're always looking for what could go wrong and what would be your corrective active. The thrill often is the mental challenge itself.

Know to before you FLY.

It isn't worth it to make a few bucks. The company that is being fined 1.9 million is being fined for stuff they shot in the past they were recently granted a 333 so it can come back to haunt you for years to come and many guys with a 333 will turn you in because your doing cut rate work and taking business away from them. Using a Solo to shoot a music video is not sage if your flying over people. The people that do it safely would probably use a hex or octo so they have redundancy. You might think it's cool now to make a few bucks ,but a few years from now you might have a family , a house and you get a knock on the door to fine out they're coming after you and if they do the fine would been $10000. per music video, it would be per violation. and in one shoot it could be flying without a 333 Violation ,flying an unregistered aircraft, flying over people, flying without and airmen certificate . That would be $40,000.. Do 10 music video like that and it's $400,000 and you could lose everything you own because you be a sole proprietor

Any receive feedback from FSDO related to 333 exemptions for non-licensed? I'm wondering if anyone has tested the FAA in respect to education and training that would provide a level of safety consistent with FAA flight standards.

In other words approval for someone who has attended a formal ground school as an example.

I
I've been told that right now you have to have a PIC with an airmen cert . I've got ground school and 30 hrs of flight time but that was back many years ago and I no longer have the log books, so when I get my 333 I'm going to file for an exemtion to wave the Airmen cert ( there are a couple of people doing that now) ,but by the time I do all of that they may have past 107 making it irrelevant

There are many ways to cut corners in life but only fools do so in the aviation industry - even if it's only a UAV Don't give up on your dreams but try your hardest to play ball by the rules else please find something to play with.
People suggest I'm pro regulations which I'm typically not however I believe the aviation industry is not for everyone. The people in the industry have made personal and financial sacrifices to get where they are at. I know of only a few cases it came for free. I will find it a sad day if people can just starting using their UAS commercially like driving cars because there are a whole lot of dumb a$$ putzing along in the left lane with no regards to efficient traffic patterns.

When you do it for commercial purposes you should have the mind set that you are a professional. You know, think and prepare differently then others. You prep, you plan, you use check lists, you're always looking for what could go wrong and what would be your corrective active. The thrill often is the mental challenge itself.

Know to before you FLY.
It isn't worth it to make a few bucks. The company that is being fined 1.9 million is being fined for stuff they shot in the past they were recently granted a 333 so it can come back to haunt you for years to come and many guys with a 333 will turn you in because your doing cut rate work and taking business away from them. Using a Solo to shoot a music video is not sage if your flying over people. The people that do it safely would probably use a hex or octo so they have redundancy. You might think it's cool now to make a few bucks ,but a few years from now you might have a family , a house and you get a knock on the door to fine out they're coming after you and if they do the fine would been $10000. per music video, it would be per violation. and in one shoot it could be flying without a 333 Violation ,flying an unregistered aircraft, flying over people, flying without and airmen certificate . That would be $40,000.. Do 10 music video like that and it's $400,000 and you could lose everything you own because you be a sole proprietor
but if I do it for free and it's recreational And I'm not flying above anyone and I'm safe I'm fine rite?

but if I do it for free and it's recreational And I'm not flying above anyone and I'm safe I'm fine rite?
If you are doing it for free that is fine. I cannot tell if you are safe unless I'm there to observe. The distance you are flying from anyone is also a factor in staying safe. Just ask the insurance companies. Another point is it will be published and thus proof of drone footage. Just make sure in court under oath someone doesn't say you did it other than for free.

Reactions: Saturn13
If you are doing it for free that is fine. I cannot tell if you are safe unless I'm there to observe. The distance you are flying from anyone is also a factor in staying safe. Just ask the insurance companies. Another point is it will be published and thus proof of drone footage. Just make sure in court under oath someone doesn't say you did it other than for free.
Ok thanx for the info! I

Here's my 2 cents on "making money with a drone"

If you're a professional photographer and offer aerial service as an add on then you will add value to your service

If you're an aerial photographer - say someone that rents aircraft - then you will save money implementing a drone program

If you buy a drone and hope to charge people for aerial photography with no background in photography I don't think you'll have much luck

I'm running into people who advertise on Craig's list - $50 per hour for raw footage on a SD card and are not having much luck

I've had two brides that were interested in drone shots but as an add on. I'm not exempted yet so if someone asks - and I have permission to fly - I will film and provide an edited video as a courtesy. I think aerial footage is a nice touch but as far as people paying for it, I don't see the demand

Anyone receive feedback from FSDO related to 333 exemptions for non-licensed? I'm wondering if anyone has tested the FAA in respect to education and training that would provide a level of safety consistent with FAA flight standards.

I read a number of applications on FAA.GOV and saw one that mentioned basically the same thing you did. It was approved, but still required that the drone "PIC" be a licensed pilot.

Very interesting discussion, I am a private pilot, have been for about 10 years and did not realize the 333 would apply to me flying my drone for say a realtor. Words you never hear " I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso