Video Editing??

Don't be ridiculous. Why would you even make such a fallacious comparison to analog tape from 30 years ago? Whoa... talk about being "out of date."

Nobody is saying that it does. I guess I'll just quote myself here:

"Using an editing codec allows smoother playback and more efficient editing, especially if you use effects, transitions, slow motion."​

Notice that sentence is over, now onto the next sentence...

"Stepping up to 10bit is plenty for any footage shot on a GoPro without loosing quality, and it let's you color grade without adding contours to contours."​

See what I did there? Two different sentences. Editing codecs in general are easier to edit on underpowered machines. End of story. Going up to 10bit ensures you don't loose quality when you transcode (and as an added benefit, allows for better color correction/grading). Contrary to what you probably believe, just because a video is encoded 10bit, does not mean your computer will choke on it more than a video encoded at 8bit. It doesn't work that way. There are multiple variables involved. When you are comparing codecs, you have to look at more than just 8bit vs 10bit vs 12bit.

Again, no one is saying that it does. We are just trying to ensure we do not lose quality.

Wow. Really? More of the analog comparisons? Your not even wrong... (link).
If you truly think that copying analog media is equivalent to digital transcoding, then I just don't know what to say. I'm at a complete loss. 25 years of experience? You've got to be trolling.

What are you even trying to accomplish here?

You clearly have zero interest in helping out the original poster who can't get his videos to play smoothly on his computer. Your just kind of barging in, swinging your ego around, telling everyone how much of an expert you are, and 1000% failing to give the guy any useful advice.

This guy is looking for an editing suite that isn't expensive, and hard to use. All he wants to do is cut up some videos for youtube. Your really think he needs to buy an editing rig dedicated to his GoPro videos, AND pay a monthly subscription for Premiere Pro? Come on. What kind of advice is that?

The only really valid point you made is that transcoding takes time, which can cost editors money - but only editors in certain fields.... sporting events, live broadcast, cutting up clips for the 6 o'clock news, cranking out crappy wedding videos, etc...

For the rest of the editing world, from feature film makers, to indies, to hobbyists working on underpowered machines with free or cheap software (like the original poster), it does make sense to use an editing codec.

My advice to the Original Poster, or anyone else having these issues is to ignore this guy. He's just blustering around, insulting people who are giving you valid advice.

Not to insight a flame, I enjoyed all these posts. Each one has valid points to ponder.

The post is the BEST software to edit GoPro footage right?...all budget entries small- large are fair right?

Cohen Brothers edit in their offices in Final Cut, I like Premiere as I can use on my Macs and PCs. Pointing out only, I'm not on the same league! Cohen"s product is awesome!! mine well (I 'm NOT even close on comparison)..but I'm working on it! hahaha! Thesr program however apeear to have less limitations to some of the least expensive in many cases.

Costs -$30/ month for Adobe Master Collection CC, think CS6 is the last purchasable set....MC @ $2685. I might be able to cover that fee from my wife, friends and family for just editing a silly video!

My point is that is amazing to be in an industry with a somewhat equal footing as far as access to the comparable editing software, but only separated by the craft we learn perhaps?

Yes, of course there is industry software/hardware used that makes Final Cut, and Premiere look like the iMovie, etc.... Just limited the comparison to what us mere mortal wish to spend money on!

Lossy vs. lossless coding absolutely key for the serious editor perhaps?

VHS thought was a great example of the old addage, You cannot make a chicken salad sandwich outta chicken poop.

Great discussion folks, ....more importantly let's go flying!!! I haven't posted video, but promise I won't until it at least equal the skill I've seen others post!

Just IMHO! Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Last edited:
Spending money? Can't go wrong with the industry standards Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, After Effects, etc....Folks argue the learning curve sometimes but I'd say it was easy to learn ...Premiere has the conversion to automatically remove DJI or GoPro distortion...and many others. (Internet search will also easily provide the correction numbers)
I have to agree. Premier Pro and After Effects are amazing, and the best out there (though FInal Cut is not that far behind, it is well behind) AND they all have a steep learning curve. In my opinion worth it.

Adobe offers a monthly subscription plan that makes it more affordable.

If you really want to Edit in 4K, you need a proper rig. Not only do you need a powerful computer, with a fast hard drive (ideally a RAID with 6 platters), but you also need a monitor with at least 4K resolution. Even with a big fast RAID, you still need to make sure you connect it to your computer with a high speed connection (on a Mac, Thunderbolt 2), or you won't really see the benefit.

You can get by with lower end solutions, but its a hassle. Personally I am a fan of the iMac5K along with an external 6 platter 12GB RAID dedicated to video only. Its still not ideal, but its cheaper than their Power Mac's which haven't been updated in awhile.

I would google "editing in 4K" because there are a lot of options out there.
I kind of agree. I have 64b GB of ram, 12 cores in my processor, and 2 SSD drives (one to run my programs, one as a scratch drive). I notice the hit with 4K. The only part I disagree on are the drives. The new SSDs have come way down and they are way faster than anything that spins.

I'm not current on the PC side so I'll defer to someone else on that. I do at least know that you can play and edit ProRes on a PC in Adobe Premier, but you would need a utility to transcode your GoPro footage into ProRes in the first place.

For what it's worth, I only brought up ProRes as an example of an editor friendly format.

Great video - especially the selfie/dronie at the end. Also when you were flying low and fast over the waves. It would be interesting to see that in slow motion.

I do have to say that I noticed a ton of horizon tilting throughout. I wonder what that's from? I got the same thing a couple times before the last software update (last weekend). My work around was to tilt the gimbal down and then maneuver the Solo left and right quickly with the right stick, then tilt the gimbal back up. That seemed to prompt the gimbal to re-level itself.
What Erik said . . .
I also liked the dogs in there, and the barking at the drone.

What is the simple way to do a side by side comparison video edit to show two films

Working on a mod and would like to make a video of solo flying without and with mod for comparison .

Thank you for all the good advise on this page.

Guy

are you asking from the production or editing perspective? Editing; you can either create a 4K project and show two 1080 vids side by side (project would be 3840x1080) or you could split a 1080 screen (not my preference, but some like it)

You could also do a 1920 x 2860 and top/bottom the comparision, that would be a bit weird but doable.

What is the simple way to do a side by side comparison video edit to show two films

Working on a mod and would like to make a video of solo flying without and with mod for comparison .

Thank you for all the good advise on this page.

Guy
It depends what software you are using to edit your video. Regardless of what software you use, the feature you want is "split screen" - so search for that + the name of your video editing software.

In Premiere I use the effect crop and place one shot over the over, but crop the top one 50%, you can crop left to right or top to bottom.

This will give you an idea of how you can set up a full resolution, dual HD comparison.
I prefer this method (delivered in 4K) as it allows for both videos to be seen at full rez, or the best resolution achievable on a computer monitor or television display.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depending on your YT settings, you may have to select 2160 from the YT menu

This will give you an idea of how you can set up a full resolution, dual HD comparison.
I prefer this method (delivered in 4K) as it allows for both videos to be seen at full rez, or the best resolution achievable on a computer monitor or television display.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depending on your YT settings, you may have to select 2160 from the YT menu
Off topic: Is that video shot with two different cameras mounted side by side, or is it just two different color corrections/grades?

Two cameras mounted side x.
Note the slightly different widths.
There is no color grading.
Maddog, note that the DELIVERY is in 4K, but the two videos you're seeing are actually full resolution 1080. The acquisition is 4K, downsampled to two 1080 display windows. This isn't the same jump, but same helmet I use for large cameras or camera comparisions.
It's fairly easy to get similar parallax from multiple cameras. ;)
1932317_10202640482746573_582357051_n.jpg

Maddog, note that the DELIVERY is in 4K, but the two videos you're seeing are actually full resolution 1080. The acquisition is 4K, downsampled to two 1080 display windows. This isn't the same jump, but same helmet I use for large cameras or camera comparisions.
Interesting. So which camera is on each side in that particular video?

I understand that 4K gives you more "room" to crop, zoom, etc but does it provide any other advantage right now if it needs to be down sampled for viewing?

I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to learn about 4K!:cool:

OMG! I bet that guy has a chiropractor on retainer!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44