using Mission Planner

Reaction score
Wondering if its possible to pull the logs from Solo directly into Mission Planner and replay them. I am using WinSCP and I can log into both the Remote and Solo but only see a limited amount of Tlogs from the remote, looks like a limited memory. In MP I see all the logs using Download Data Flash Logs but I can not seem to figure out how to convert the bin file to a compatible file to load into the telemetry log player. The remote tlog files load up great and play for me, just cant get the bin files converted from Solo.

I have been able to review a bin file using review a log, under dataflash log, but its limited. I really like the way the telemetry log player shows the complete flight with full details with the ability to slow and speed up. I am trouble shooting a compass issue that rared its head last-night in a flight. I am thinking its been an issue since my first flight but I cant prove that 100%. For now I have re-calibrated the compass and will be taking another flight and pulling the logs to see if its still giving me a compass variance error.

why not just connect mission planner right to solo and retrieve the files?
connect your laptop to sololink wifi
launch mission planner
connect with UDP

why not just connect mission planner right to solo and retrieve the files?
connect your laptop to sololink wifi
launch mission planner
connect with UDP
That's exactly how I am doing it. The the problem is that the dataflash files are .bin files and not tlog's. MP will auto analyze .bin logs but you cant run the telemerty player on .bin logs, they have to be tlog files. I want to know if MP can somehow convert the .bin to .tlog.

FVidrine, I'm not sure if this helps or if it is compatible. I have not tried it, but it might be promising. I think it has a bin to log converter:

APM Log Analyser - RC Groups

GitHub - diydrones/APM_Log_File_Analyzer: A program to analyse the log files produced by the ArduCopter firmware for an APM flight controller.
I was able to get the .bin files to run but not 100% compatible. MP does the same analyzing and is 100% compatible. I am wanting to visually play the log file and watch where I am having the compass errors. Thanks for giving this a go, appreciate the help.

Last edited:
according to this video he found tlogs
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

oh sorry though you said you were using winSCP
I am using WinSCP to get the tlog files from the remote. MP doesn't get those log files from the remote. Once I use WinSCP to get the tlog files from the remote I play them in MP. The big problem I have is I keep getting compass variance errors and last night I had a major flight disruption, aka crash, and I want to know what caused it and why its sporadic.

I did some more flight testing today and I found out what I believe the issue is. Apparently cement roads that have heavy rebar reinforcements can cause serious compass variance errors if you fly to close to the ground. What I found was I only have the issue if I hover lower than 10' or land and take back off. As long as I am above that elevation and don't stop moving it will not screw with the compass readings.

according to this video he found tlogs
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The remote only stores 10 tlog files and the memory overwrites them. It starts a new tlog every-time you land and disarm the solo. I wanted to pull old log files that the remote has already overwritten to see if I could find the exact locations it originates from. Since I couldn't get the tlogs from older flights I had to do real life testing and take my chances. SO I went for a few flights came back grabbed the tlogs and went did a few more. I was able to find that it only happens in certain areas of out cement roads in our hood. Long story short, I will not avoid hovering over cement roads.

Already knew it was a bad idea to take off from cement roads due to iron reinforcement causing magnetic interference but was unaware that it would still do it hovering at low altitudes over them.

Thanks for all the help, love this forum!

You would be correct, you can take a bin file and extract it to google earth file and see the 3D path, but with the bin file you cant see the compass feedback. On the other hand you can see the compass feedback if you play the tlog and you can see the exact location in the map, thats how I started seeing clues as to what was happening. When I did my test flights today I was able to verify this with the tlog, just had to stop and grab them before the remote overwrote them.

Since the dataflash bin files are way more detailed I am certain it contains the information and much more, the problem is I cant find a play back method. Maybe something someone much smarter than me will be able to incorporate into future updates.

you are correct about the rebar though, I get all kind of problems at the parking lot at work, but on my drive at home none.

I am using WinSCP to get the tlog files from the remote. MP doesn't get those log files from the remote. Once I use WinSCP to get the tlog files from the remote I play them in MP. The big problem I have is I keep getting compass variance errors and last night I had a major flight disruption, aka crash, and I want to know what caused it and why its sporadic.

I did some more flight testing today and I found out what I believe the issue is. Apparently cement roads that have heavy rebar reinforcements can cause serious compass variance errors if you fly to close to the ground. What I found was I only have the issue if I hover lower than 10' or land and take back off. As long as I am above that elevation and don't stop moving it will not screw with the compass readings.
Wow, I just discovered the same problem the day before Christmas. I was having the same issue over a concrete sidewalk with rebar in it. Numerous compass variance errors as well. Before I figured out what was happening I landed on the sidewalk instead of the snow and upon touchdown the quad flipped on its back and ran up to full power. I had tried powering down with no effect and finally grabbed the quad by the leg and got it upright as it was disintegrating the props. Tore the number one motor to pieces due to vibration. The tlogs clued me in to the compass errors. Still not sure why I couldn't get a shutdown but that is another issue.

Today I replaced #1 motor did run up tests, re calibrated the compass, check the tlogs for errors and then flew in a park area with absolutely no errors. I thought I was crazy, the sidewalk is in a rural area and I had a hard time believing it was rebar in the sidewalk. I may not have been as crazy as I thought.

This is why you should always set one of the A/B buttons to Fly:Manual (in Pixhawk parlance, Fly:Manual is simply altitude hold.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela