**UPDATE** Solo Battery Mod for Dummies

Reaction score
**UPDATE**- I received word from Gensace Tattu that the 150 additional 4S1P 5200/35C Battery used in the BMS Calibration available at the end of May!!

I well aware that some of what these documents contain will come at odds with some folks here but can assure you that what they contain have been well tested with excellent results. I posted them yesterday in JB's Solo Owners Group and have so far gotten a good response. A tremendous amount of time, expense, and effort went into this project by several knowledgeable folks. Best viewed on a connected PC to view the several clickable links.

Best Wishes to all for a Peaceful Healthy New Year!

Updated Battery Mod for Dummies

Last edited:
Great documentation, very thorough. I really appreciate the work that went into this. Thank you!

Reactions: Michael Lione
Outstanding instructions and details. I completely agree with marrying a BMS to a battery permanently, rather than constantly cycling different batteries through the BMS

Thank you for a great write up. Easy to follow. Agree to keep 1 battery to its own BMS, as our batteries fail, we should have plenty of BMS units and cases.

No comes the hard part, finding replacement lipos in Australia this will be harder than all the work described in your document , thanks again

I love that part where you say, "This is MY presentation.....". LOL Sounds just like Matt in his video about installing the cube. Too funny. Y'all rock!

I love that part where you say, "This is MY presentation.....". LOL Sounds just like Matt in his video about installing the cube. Too funny. Y'all rock!
I guess I got a bit carried away. Actually it's a team effort I just wrote it up. I think I'll change that to "OUR" presentation. [emoji41]

As usual, support for Solo is rock solid and the future looks bright! Great work by select few individuals in the various forums.
Regarding replacement batteries, other than physical size difference, can higher capacity batteries greater than 5200 mAh be used or is BMS defaulted to that size as part of the calibration process? I didn't see it addressed in the notes although smaller capacity was covered since 5200 4S are getting rare. Capacity can be set in parameters but I suspect that the calibration process would reset to default when battery hooked up to Solo and powered on.
Not sure how the Solo Tool would handle that (I'm on my second one) but if larger capacity is possible, I'll contact Palmar directly regarding the design/actual capacity of the tool.

As usual, support for Solo is rock solid and the future looks bright! Great work by select few individuals in the various forums.
Regarding replacement batteries, other than physical size difference, can higher capacity batteries greater than 5200 mAh be used or is BMS defaulted to that size as part of the calibration process? I didn't see it addressed in the notes although smaller capacity was covered since 5200 4S are getting rare. Capacity can be set in parameters but I suspect that the calibration process would reset to default when battery hooked up to Solo and powered on.
Not sure how the Solo Tool would handle that (I'm on my second one) but if larger capacity is possible, I'll contact Palmar directly regarding the design/actual capacity of the tool.
I haven't messed with anything north if 5200. I know several have. There seems to be a diminishing return on the higher capacity pack as they add weight. That said, you are correct that the 5200 packs are drying up. The Tattu battery I used in my mods are discontinued and I see several other brands are following the same path. Not sure why as this pack is touted as very popular in the RC world. Our mod team is looking into alternatives.

Excellent write up.
Thank you for your effort and especially your documentation.
Thank you sir! I really like how you modded your BMS to facilitate plugging in the JST off the replacement battery! Once we came around to the impracticality of one BMS for any same spec battery it made sense to take out the adapter plugs and direct solder the replacement pack to the BMS one and done.

Reactions: Mike Boland
I guess I got a bit carried away. Actually it's a team effort I just wrote it up. I think I'll change that to "OUR" presentation. [emoji41]
haha. It's just that it reminds me of a sign I saw at the river in Arizona one time when we were at the boat mechanics. It said, " I don't care how they do it in L.A. You're not in L.A." Too funny. I usually say, " It's my story, I'll tell it how I want!". It made me smile, is what I guess I 'm trying to say.

Thanks for this very detailed and documented post.
It is a pity that tattu's bateries are discontinued.
Do you think that those may match :
Gens ace 14.8V 5200mAh 4S1P 40C Lipo Battery Pack with XT90 Plug - Bashing Series
From an electric poit of you they seem OK ; what about the dimensions ?
Regards
Yes! By the looks this pack is only 5.5g heavier and very slightly smaller in size. The additional 5C rating is more of an advantage. This pack will calibrate to the BMS and fit in the battery tray.

Great find! I hope I can find this pack on our side of the creek.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Yes! By the looks this pack is only 5.5g heavier and very slightly smaller in size. The additional 5C rating is more of an advantage. This pack will calibrate to the BMS and fit in the battery tray.

Great find! I hope I can find this pack on our side of the creek.

I am in Australia and keen to find these packs too. The ones I have been finding are physically too big, this one seems ideal. I have sent a few emails and will share any info I find.

Is anyone from Aust keen to share a shipment if we need to source these from outside Australia? The only thing that could be a problem is , will they ship to Aust?

Last edited:
I am in Australia and keen to find these packs too. The ones I have been finding afe physically to be, this one seems ideal. I have sent a few emails and will share any info I find.

Is anyone from Aust keen to share a shipment if we need to source these from outside Australia? The only thing that could be a problem is , will they ship to Aust?
I was unable to find this Bashing Series battery on the GensAce USA website. In truth I have not been able to find any GensAce comparable battery in a 4S1P/5200 in a C rating that will fit.

I sent them a letter as well asking for advice. Fingers crossed!

It's a Christmas mir.......

When a suitable "available" battery pack is found you get the

.... acle

Great write up though, great instructions and gives us a lot of hope for the new year.

Thanks!
Thanks! There are a couple other brands that will work. We are trying to stick with the Tattu as they have an excellent reputation. From simple observation they seem to be migrating into a hard case version with interchangeable cable sets which might explain why they are bailing out on the pack used in our testing. Unfortunately the closest hard case pack is too big in size for our requirements. I'll report any response from my inquiry into Gensace.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
So silly question, but any chance of people with 3D printers "printing" their own hard case to put the parts into? Not sure if anyone already has an STL file for this (I should just do a quick check but ya know, impulse replying!)(ok, just did a quick check, yes files are available but these just seem to be empty 3dr battery shaped cases, so wondering if there's something designed with actual BMS holders inside to stop vibration and movement within the case). Usually I'm against using 3D printed parts for a drone body (even the legs tend to shatter if landed hard enough) however for a battery case I'm thinking it may be an acceptable usage, although a harder case that offers better battery protection and reduced fire risk is always welcome.

Last edited:
So silly question, but any chance of people with 3D printers "printing" their own hard case to put the parts into? Not sure if anyone already has an STL file for this (I should just do a quick check but ya know, impulse replying!)(ok, just did a quick check, yes files are available but these just seem to be empty 3dr battery shaped cases, so wondering if there's something designed with actual BMS holders inside to stop vibration and movement within the case). Usually I'm against using 3D printed parts for a drone body (even the legs tend to shatter if landed hard enough) however for a battery case I'm thinking it may be an acceptable usage, although a harder case that offers better battery protection and reduced fire risk is always welcome.
For sure! I am a Maker as well. There are several cases available. Our battery mod team is tweaking one as I reply. One challenge is our battery mod doesn't shift the top cell so the stock case doesn't provide the needed clearance. Here's my last attempt. My battery mod fits under the case but it has just a few more tweaks to go. The battery is plugged in and turned on and the cover snaps over it and locks same as the OEM pack. Another member of the team is working with making minor alterations to the OEM case to hold the mod battery.

My main interest is maintaining a profile that allows me to mount my 360 cam rig which this cover does. Watch for Modified Solo Battery Covers for Dummies coming to select theatres soon!

I invite you and anyone interested to join our FB Group to stay informed as to our progress. Search for JB's 3DR Solo Owners Group. I'm a mod and will be happy to approve you!

For any not able to print a cover they will be available for sale on soloflies.com when we have a final design. As was mentioned in the tutorial Jon Brotherton (admin of our group) can provide several levels of assistance from just parts to providing a complete modded battery pack ready to fly. (My photos are prototypes of his cover design. And no they won't come in purple I'm just fooling around.)20181228_034758_resized.jpeg20181228_035019_resized.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc