Update 1.3.1 to Open Solo 4 dev via SSH/Sftp

Ok thank you, i will post steps in a new thread soon!

Last edited:
So in order to do it correctly i have to do these steps in this order, at least this is how i have understood the entire process.

Before installing OpenSolo 4, Arducopter 4 must be installed first in the copter following these steps:
  1. Power on the controller and the copter wait the copter to pair with the controller.
  2. Connect the drone on the pc trought wifi SoloLink_SSID, and type "sololink" on password.
  3. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  4. Copy the ArduCopter firmware file ArduCopter.4.0.1.CubeSolo.apj into the /firmware directory.
  5. Copy pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory (with execute permissionson). < I not know how to do that by searching on google i have found this page where explains the thing but there is so muck ways that i not know what to do: Permissions :: WinSCP.
  6. Reboot the copter. After powering up, you will hear the Cube click and reboot. The process takes about 45 seconds.

Then i can proceed to install OpenSolo 4 in this way:

For the Copter:
  1. Power on the controller and the copter wait the copter to pair with the controller.
  2. Connect the drone on the pc trought wifi SoloLink_SSID, and type "sololink" on password.
  3. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  4. Type the command "sololink_config --update-prepare sololink" this command will clean up and prepares the directories..
  5. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  6. Copy 3dr-solo.tar.gz and 3dr-solo.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory.
  7. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reboots the copter.

For the Controller:
  1. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.1" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --update-prepare sololink" this command will clean up and prepares the directories..
  3. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.1 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  4. Copy 3dr-controller.tar.gz and 3dr-controller.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory.
  5. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reboots the controller.
After that those steps are complete on both the copter and the controller will need to do a factory reset using Putty following this steps:

On the Copter:
  1. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --make-golden' this command will execute the update. Disconnect when complete,
On the Controller:
  1. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.1" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --make-golden' this command will execute the update. Disconnect when complete,

This is pretty muck what i have to do please confirm me if those steps are correct, and so i can proceed.

Ah and im actually having 2 of these drones the other one seems to already have the opensolo 4 firmware on the controller but the controller stays on waiting for solo on the copter it have the green and red light on the front and yellow lights on the rear and the led close to the accessory slot is blinking red or reddish orange, i have tried also to reset it by pressing the reset button for over 20 seconds but nothing happens, then i tried to see it on WinSCP but i only have access to the controller, not on the copter. The previous owner told me he tried to follow the guidelines on the wiki what he did wrong is that he had put the cubegreen arducopter firmware, this is why the copter is not connecting to the controller anymore, so i suppose on this other drone i will have to disassembly it to take the sdcard and do the sd card thing on this one.

OK - at this point I would do the following:
-Work on only ONE SOLO at a time - avoid confusion and mistakes "Keep it Simple".

-Update the SD cards on the one with the yellow leds. Save the originals, and use two new SD cards

-The SOLO and controller will need to be paired after relaunching with the new firmware, otherwise the controller will wait forever.

I have upgraded two SOLO via the SD card reflash method with zero issues. The necessary files are at the link I sent yesterday.

Oh update on the second drone i did a factory reset to the controller and it back to the solo software meaning not the open solo software. The previous owner did something or more than something wrong he also told me that he tried to update it multiple times using solex, sidepilot etc so maybe he caused some chaos into it, by the way i just did factory reset to the controller and now that the controller is back to the solo software i have successfully paired the copter the reset button still does nothing but at least now i can see also the copter content in winscp so now im having 2 drones, on one i can do experiments and if everything goes well i will simply replycate on my brand new one. I have just seen a disassembly tutorial on this and since wow this thing has so many parts i think i will try before the ssh way and then if something goes wrong will try the sdcard way, hoping when i reassemble it i will reassembly it all correctly hehe!

Last edited:
Oh update on the second drone i did a factory reset to the controller and it back to the solo software meaning not the open solo software. The previous owner did something or more than something wrong he also told me that he tried to update it multiple times using solex, sidepilot etc so maybe he caused some chaos into it, by the way i just did factory reset to the controller and now that the controller is back to the solo software i have successfully paired the copter the reset button still does nothing but at least now i can see also the copter content in winscp so now im having 2 drones, on one i can do experiments and if everything goes well i will simply replycate on my brand new one. I have just seen a disassembly tutorial on this and since wow this thing has so many parts i think i will try before the ssh way and then if something goes wrong will try the sdcard way, hoping when i reassemble it i will reassembly it all correctly hehe!
OK! Taking them apart is not that painful. The trick, should you attempt, is to disconnect the magnetometer plug and push it and the cable into Arm #2. Once the plug/cable are free and out of the way, the entire board can be carefully lifted up at an angle...the SD card is "right there" and easily accessable.

I done the ssh procedure, and it seems like everything is fine now, i did it this way:

Before installing OpenSolo 4, Arducopter 4 must be installed first in the copter following these steps:
  3. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  4. Type the command "sololink_config --update-prepare sololink" this command will clean up and prepares the directories..
  5. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  6. Copy the ArduCopter firmware file ArduCopter.4.0.1.CubeSolo.apj into the /firmware directory.
  7. Copy pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory.
  8. Back to Putty and type the command "reboot" at this point the copter will disconnect from Putty and WinSCP, no panic just close both the programs and wait 5 minutes at least, let the copter doing its things. i just not remember if was at this point when the copter would not pair to the controller automatically and so i did pair it manually, i will do the same thing on the second drone and give a better confirmation next time. ;)

For the Copter:
  1. Once the copter has paired again open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  3. Copy 3dr-solo.tar.gz and 3dr-solo.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory.
  4. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reboots the copter, here Putty and WinSCP will disconnect, again no panic just close both the programs, in meantime wait 5 minutes to give the time to the copter while does its things.

For the Controller:
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --update-prepare sololink" this command will clean up and prepares the directories..
  3. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.1 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  4. Copy 3dr-controller.tar.gz and 3dr-controller.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory.
  5. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reboots the controller, here Putty and WinSCP will disconnect, again no panic just close both the programs, in meantime wait 5 minutes to give the time to the controller while does its things.
After that those steps are complete on both the copter and the controller will need to do a factory reset using Putty following this steps:

On the Copter:
  1. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --make-golden' this command will execute the update, wait 5 minutes to let the copter doing its things, then close Putty and WinSCP.
On the Controller:
  2. Type the command "sololink_config --make-golden' this command will execute the update, wait 5 minutes to let the controller doing its things, then close Putty and WinSCP.
At this point disconnect the controller from the pc wifi and shutdown both the copter and the controller, wait 1 minute power them back on and them must be updated and work fine. It will give a copass error but i think its normal because the drone must be recalibrated at this point, so will need to connect it to Solex, now i have tried connecting it for a little time but it does not recognize the vehicle, but since its late night now i will retry this tomorrow and confirm if everything works fine maybe the drone needs to stay connected more time to get recognized. In case everything goes fine, i will open a new thread on how to update the 3DR Solo Drone correctly to OpenSolo 4 and of corse upload all the necessary files. ;)

Last edited:
Ok so this is how i did it:

3. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password, a message will appear click on Accept.
  5. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password, a message will appear click on Update.
  6. Copy the ArduCopter firmware file ArduCopter.4.0.1.CubeSolo.apj into the /firmware directory.
  7. Copy pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory.
  8. Back to Putty and type the command "reboot" at this point the copter will disconnect from Putty and WinSCP, no panic just close both the programs and wait 2 minutes the copter will autopair itself after this procedure, wait an other 2 minutes. And then you can proceed with the OpenSolo4 update.

For the Copter:
  1. Once the copter has paired again open Putty, and type "10.1.1.10" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password.
  2. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.10 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password.
  3. Copy 3dr-solo.tar.gz and 3dr-solo.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory.
  4. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reset of the copter, at this point the copter will disconnect from Putty and WinSCP close both the programs the copter will now have blinking red leds for some minutes then will start the rainbow leds for a long time to me it taken like 15 minutes until i just decided to power it off manually, now leave the copter powered off, in the meantime lets update the controller.

For the Controller:
  1. Open Putty, and type "10.1.1.1" on Host Name then click Open a terminal screen will appear, here type "root" on Login as and type "TjSDBkAu" on password, a message will appear, click on Accept.
  3. Open WinSCP then type 10.1.1.1 on server name, type 'root' on user and type 'TjSDBkAu' on password, a message will appear click on Update.
  5. Back to Putty and type the command "sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset" this command will execute the update and reboots the controller, here Putty and WinSCP will disconnect, again no panic just close both the programs, in meantime wait 5 minutes to give the time to the controller while does its things. The controller will automatically power back on untill you will see the controller say "waiting for Solo".
  6. Power on the copter you will see the copter with red and green leds on the front, and yellow leds on the back, at this point the copter needs to be paired manually, take the copter upside down with a paperclip push the pairing button look on the controller screen follow the instructions when the copter is paired you wil ear a beep.
At this point the drone has been updated successfully to OpenSolo4.

Now i have tried then to connect to the solex but both the drones dont get recognized, may it be that aindroid 10 or my smartphone Xiaomi Mi 10T is too young for those drones?

Last edited:
Go with the CubeSolo. It's almost 100% certain that's in your bird. I just upgraded a Solo for a friend - CubeSolo. Mine is as well. The Green Cube was an original "fix" for SOLO that dealt with an electrical signalling issue - the OpenSolo 4 firmware addressed that issue, allowing the safe use of the original, stock Cube. Again, Best Luck John (CharlieKeck)
Thanks! I had the same question.. did any Solo's ship from 3DR with something other than CubeSolo? It wasn't clear if the 'green' and 'orange' were running updates from the factory, or always user-done mods/updates after-sale..

Thanks! I had the same question.. did any Solo's ship from 3DR with something other than CubeSolo? It wasn't clear if the 'green' and 'orange' were running updates from the factory, or always user-done mods/updates after-sale..
Hi Maxwell -I don't know about that. The implication is that the original SOLO had the CubeSolo,
based on all that modification process in Arducopter regarding updating to the Green. Good question, hopefully someone knows for sure...

Hello i tried the drones today on Solex but it is not recognizing both the drones, then i think i will do the sd card thing on one, i have already done the sd card and mounted it into the controller, now must do it into the copter, hoping i will not beak it hehe!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986