Reaction score
Website
www.barkingdeerphotography.com
I passed the UAG exam today.

Some observations; your results may differ: It was much harder than the sample test that the FAA distributes. It hit very hard on interpretation of charts, understanding airspace class, getting airspace off a chart, and reading weather reports (METAR, TAF, etc.)

I took a ground school, but they were limited to guessing what would be on the test. I suspect that over time the ground schools will be better directed to the actual exam scope. Still without the ground school I would not have passed.

Tip #1: take a magnifying glass so that you can read the chart book (8080-2G). The on screen calculator works fine, but was really useful for conversions (Celsius to Fahrenheit).

Tip #2: you can tag questions, and then easily return to them. So, for example, you could do it in passes. Pass #1: Tag and skip any question that requires calculation or chart work, and Pass 2, go back for the harder questions.

Tip #3: There are only 3 choices. (A, B, C). Often one of them can be eliminated, so if you have to guess you have a 50% chance.

Good luck to all.

Bob

Congrats Bob,

I passed as well on Tuesday the 8/30. Know how to read charts for sure.

Hey Bob, thanks for the tips. I brought a magnifying glass and that sure was a huge help. I PASSED!

It was a lot harder that any sample tests I took. You must know airspace cold. Don't rely just on the sample questions, learn everything on a sectional. MANY of what I'd call gotcha questions. And, a few questions like "if you are at this point on the map, and the tower you are inspecting is this high, and you fly to maximum allowable height AGL, what airspace are you in? C,E or G."

So I studied with remotepilot101.com as well as with an app by Dauntless Aviation called GroundSchool. $140 investment to pass a $140 test. Well worth it.

Reactions: PdxSteve
Hey Bob, thanks for the tips. I brought a magnifying glass and that sure was a huge help. I PASSED!

It was a lot harder that any sample tests I took. You must know airspace cold. Don't rely just on the sample questions, learn everything on a sectional. MANY of what I'd call gotcha questions. And, a few questions like "if you are at this point on the map, and the tower you are inspecting is this high, and you fly to maximum allowable height AGL, what airspace are you in? C,E or G."

So I studied with remotepilot101.com as well as with an app by Dauntless Aviation called GroundSchool. $140 investment to pass a $140 test. Well worth it.
Congratulations! Now it is on to IACRA hell for you. You have to register, and start an "application." You will need to establish a username; password; and two security questions. You will get an FTN number, and save it. The basis of the application will be your passing grade on the Knowledge Test. The tricks are (a) enter the 17 digit Exam ID correctly from the test report print out, and (b) enter your name EXACTLY (e.g., with middle name) as on the Test Report. It asks some personal questions (have you ever been convicted of a drug offense, etc.) The hard part is that you want to do this immediately, but for some reason (this is 2016, right?) the exam result doesn't show up until 24-48 hours later. In other words, I passed on Monday, but it wasn't there until Tuesday evening. Then you finish and submit the application, and wait. As of yesterday it was sent to the Airman Registry, so I assume this is progressing. I am told:
"A confirmation email will be sent to you when you've completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of your temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA. The FAA has stated that this should take about 10 days."

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry Lawrence
IACRA tip: Allow pop ups in your browser. You will need to allow pop ups in order to sign the security check authorization as well as the final application.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo