The Part 107 Certificate Test: Industry Asks FAA for Changes

Reaction score
"Finally, the letter asks the FAA to ensure that the test doesn’t overreach, and includes only the skills really necessary to operate a drone. 'It is critical to the public’s acceptance of the aeronautical knowledge test that it be focused on the knowledge, skills, and behaviors needed to operate a UAS,” says the letter. “…we are concerned that the aeronautical knowledge test may be unduly burdensome if it includes questions pertinent only to operations in controlled airspace appropriate for manned aircraft pilots.'”

Text of letter to FAA

"The FAA requires remote pilot applicants to understand radio communication procedures to avoid safety risks at Class G airports, yet use of radio communications is not required. The FAA states that the knowledge of these procedures will provide the ability to employ the Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) as a valuable resource. It is one thing to require a remote pilot to know of this resource, and another to require an understanding of the radio communications procedures."

I assumed this would be coming; You can sum up the article as "It's too hard and 19 miles is too far to drive".

I don't think the test will be too hard.

What I'm finding difficult is locating FAA resources for preparing for this specific test. They seem to be scattered far and wide.

There should be a handbook for sUAS piloting, but a sample test is the only specific FAA resource.

The CATS agent who booked my testing appointment said they were expecting an FAA Part 107 test prep handbook sometime before testing begins on Aug 29, but nothing was promised. IMHO, we should already have that.

I don't think the test will be too hard.

What I'm finding difficult is locating FAA resources for preparing for this specific test. They seem to be scattered far and wide.

There should be a handbook for sUAS piloting, but a sample test is the only specific FAA resource.

The CATS agent who booked my testing appointment said they were expecting an FAA Part 107 test prep handbook sometime before testing begins on Aug 29, but nothing was promised. IMHO, we should already have that.

Since the knowledge test questions seem to cover knowledge of the Part 107 sUAS amendment language itself, I have deleted the long discussion, and all but what I believe to be the relevent pages from the 684-page Rule Complete.

Here is my 42-page edition. (Disclaimer: Please don't rely on what I've done here. It's just a study tool for myself that I'm sharing here.)

I've been all for them making this test and making it possible to use a drone commercially without the pilots license and to this point I'm happy they have, but now that we have that option I think a bit of extra studying is very little to ask. I'm happy and if I need to go a bit above and beyond drones not just to fly, but to do so for profit that's more than fine by me. I know a good bit and have about 3 years flying now, but it can only help those of us responsible pilots if these tests aren't just a quick easy ordeal. Making us know a bit more will not only benefit us, but could also keep people who shouldn't be flying out of the air at least for profit. I do hope it doesn't get ridiculous, but I'm happy to spend a few more hours reading to keep the number of folks getting in down to those of us willing to learn and fly responsibly. If they don't make it kinda hard this rule will just be changed back after accidents and wel all be lucky to even be allowed to fly our copters in the coming years. Just my 2 cents, everybody fly safe.

I agree with everything you guys are saying. Make the test as hard as you want, just give us half a chance to prepare using FAA resources.

Thank you. I have all of those links, but watching the webinar calmed me down a bit, in that the other resources they mention I had already identified too.

I'm starting to get a handle on the kinds of knowledge I need to gain from various sources, including sectional chart reading, METAR, and CTAF.

Perhaps we can start a new thread just to aggregate and discuss resources for Part 107 test prep.

Thanks again.

Thank you. I have all of those links, but watching the webinar calmed me down a bit, in that the other resources they mention I had already identified too.

I'm starting to get a handle on the kinds of knowledge I need to gain from various sources, including sectional chart reading, METAR, and CTAF.

Perhaps we can start a new thread just to aggregate and discuss resources for Part 107 test prep.

Thanks again.
Check this out for an easy to understand sectional overview..

Reactions: bluesgeek
I agree with most here too but some of these questions are irrelevant to USB pilots like early in the practice test asks What airport is located at lat blah blah and long blah blah...
Who cares? Has nothing to do with flying around a house for some real estate photos, in fact has nothing to do with flying any where for any reason. There are more than a few useless questions. I personally would like to see the test be a but more relevant. In mho.

I agree with most here too but some of these questions are irrelevant to USB pilots like early in the practice test asks What airport is located at lat blah blah and long blah blah...
Who cares? Has nothing to do with flying around a house for some real estate photos, in fact has nothing to do with flying any where for any reason. There are more than a few useless questions. I personally would like to see the test be a but more relevant. In mho.

Except if your house real estate survey is on an Air Park with a FAA-designated runway. There are at least three of those types of properties here in the Houston area. As well, I have flown over MANY housing areas adjacent to small GA airports and I damn sure was on the Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) for that airport...and one day, a drone operator was on that CTAF as well....he was following the rules and communicating with Manned aircraft on approach/departure from that airport. I was only 200 feet over some of the houses as I climbed out on take-off (and glad no one was above them doing real estate survey with a sUAS!)....so please LEARN the radio protocol and how to find the CTAF to communicate on if you plan to fly within 5-10 miles of ANY airport so you can let others know your intentions. Nobody flying a GA aircraft has a beef with sharing airspace, just make sure you know HOW to be a good steward of your privileges....or the regulatory state will clamp down on ALL of us....its what they do...because they can.

Reactions: Jubalr
Except if your house real estate survey is on an Air Park with a FAA-designated runway. There are at least three of those types of properties here in the Houston area. As well, I have flown over MANY housing areas adjacent to small GA airports and I damn sure was on the Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) for that airport...and one day, a drone operator was on that CTAF as well....he was following the rules and communicating with Manned aircraft on approach/departure from that airport. I was only 200 feet over some of the houses as I climbed out on take-off (and glad no one was above them doing real estate survey with a sUAS!)....so please LEARN the radio protocol and how to find the CTAF to communicate on if you plan to fly within 5-10 miles of ANY airport so you can let others know your intentions. Nobody flying a GA aircraft has a beef with sharing airspace, just make sure you know HOW to be a good steward of your privileges....or the regulatory state will clamp down on ALL of us....its what they do...because they can.
Well said Dave. You beat me to it. While some of the questions may not seem necessary to the actual operation of the drone it self, they do have a purpose given certain situations you may find yourself in.

Reactions: Doug Benson
This is a great thread! Sticky maybe?

Thanks for the links. If I find any that I feel might be important, I'll add them.
Cheers
Aussie

Understood, thanks for the relevancy. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc