Transplanting Solo flight hardware into a new Frame?

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this for a while but since my Solo is in daily use I couldn't take the chance.

Recently I scored a damaged Solo going for spares or repairs, owner did not know what exactly was wrong but after a crash it had 3 broken arms and 4 sheared off legs. Owner openly admits to trying to manually fly though some trees backwards, over a cliff and out to sea, suffice to say it clipped one of the trees and took a nice tumble down the cliff. He had already sold the Controller and the rest only set me back £50 including postage!

Turns out flight hardware is good to go! needs replacement antennas that I already had but other then that the bird is solid. My question is...how hard would it be to directly transplant into a different frame? NOT another solo frame. I already have Discovery and Antigravity frames ready for hardware.

So besides balancing and mounting solutions, would a basic transplant work? I have already started work on a bracket for mounting the Solo Gimbal onto the nose of a Disco.

What will be the goals of your build? If it's just to duplicate solos capabilities then you might just buy a replacement shell. If your going for more flight time then your going to have to build a frame with different motors and larger props and probably a larger battery. I think if I wanted to do do somethink like that I would try to incorporate Solos mainboard as a structural component. So maybe you can use your TBS frame and create a deck with the solo mainboard. Should be interesting please share your progress.

I don't need another solo. My plan is to create a backbone system, once it flies I can upgrade the motors and battery.

My concept is to use the Solo brains to retain the smart features and platform while building a separate system onboard that will b controlled via mobile link.

The main flight hardware will be solo based with Gimbal up front. Lossless fpv system built into the nose. Another 6 axis underslung and controlled via micro computer.

I was also considering installing a co-pilot module so allow to dedicated autonomous flight over 3G.

But for all this to be possible I need to know if the original transplant will work for testing reasons. I can then upgrade power and motors to gain load capacity.

Keep us posted I have my frame already when I asked Philip about gutting one of my solos he said wait for stand alone pic hawk 2 due out end of month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela