Tracking GPS placement

Reaction score
Good day - couldn't find an answer to this on search so here goes...

I bought a Trackimo GPS with the notion of tracing the Solo if it ever goes down and I lose visual contact. The tracker is tiny, and works really well. The problem I had was placing it.

I put it on the Solo's belly, right behind the gimbal and to the side of the "pair" button. Unfortunately, this then gave the "magnetic interference" warning on the controller.

Has anyone used something similar and come up with a placement solution? I guess the next best place will be on top of the battery, but I'll then need to place a piece of Velcro on all four of my batteries, which seems silly.

As an added question, if a tiny GPS mounted in that area causes the magnetic interference error, how is an optical flow sensor going to go there?!

Good day - couldn't find an answer to this on search so here goes...

I bought a Trackimo GPS with the notion of tracing the Solo if it ever goes down and I lose visual contact. The tracker is tiny, and works really well. The problem I had was placing it.

I put it on the Solo's belly, right behind the gimbal and to the side of the "pair" button. Unfortunately, this then gave the "magnetic interference" warning on the controller.

Has anyone used something similar and come up with a placement solution? I guess the next best place will be on top of the battery, but I'll then need to place a piece of Velcro on all four of my batteries, which seems silly.

As an added question, if a tiny GPS mounted in that area causes the magnetic interference error, how is an optical flow sensor going to go there?!

I've read that to reduce interference, the best place to put it is near the back of the Solo where there is the hockey puck shape sticking out. Hope it helps!

I've read that to reduce interference, the best place to put it is near the back of the Solo where there is the hockey puck shape sticking out. Hope it helps!
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow and update here if the wind and rain stop!

Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow and update here if the wind and rain stop!
Just remember, with this and most GPS based trackers, they rely on a cell signal to let you know where they are. If you fly in remote locations with limited cell service, you may be disappointed.

To add, having a GPS tracker is just redundancy because the controller in your hands already keeps a copy of the flight logs. If a flyaway is your concern, it's next to never and even if it somehow does 3DR will replace it anyway.

I just wanted to give you a satisfactory answer regardless so you can accomplish whatever it is you're trying to achieve.

Appreciate the thoughts! Basically all of my flying is where there is at minimum 3G. I had an episode where it went to "return home" mode and I lost visual on it for more than a minute - made me a little panicky!

I'm not worried so much about a flyaway, and I've had amazing customer service from 3DR after an operator error crash so I trust them. It's more recovering the video from the GoPro if I go down!

did you try to re-calibrate Solo ? usually when you add something new on (2nd camera on the belly), or even remove GoPro+Gimbal and install different camera then you do get magnetic interference until you recalibrate.

I do have Trackimo myself but have not used it on Solo yet, I have it wired in my camper trailer and the idea is that if I fly in some complicated terrain I would put it on Solo (but have not done it yet)

Just remember, with this and most GPS based trackers, they rely on a cell signal to let you know where they are. If you fly in remote locations with limited cell service, you may be disappointed.

yes, you need internet connection to be able to use Trackimo app (or web browser) to locate it.

when in remote location with no chance of internet connection this would therefore be useful in situation that you lost Solo, retrieved logs from controller and found last known GPS and couldn't find Solo in that location (ie. you lost your signal but Solo was still flying away before it crashed/landed) and you have no idea where it is, you would then need to drive to a place with internet to find location of your Trackimo and then go back to look for it.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I've been toying around with the idea of using a model rocket retrieval system. It's a whole lot lighter than any GPS system but it sure ain't cheaper!
But, I've got a Watson transmitter a friend gave me - he owned a small hobby shop before moving to CA. Useless without a receiver, so I've been trying to convince myself to part with around $400 or so to complete the system.
After all, that's pretty much exactly what we want - to be able to just find our danged Solo if it misbehaves. Just grab your receiver and track it down!
Hmm.. here's a link to see the things (I've got the one on top).

Rocket Transmitters

That's pretty much like the Marco Polo, which I have and it works great. No gps or cell service needed. Has a tracker/locator device that is separate. Tiny very lightweight transmitter.

I've been toying around with the idea of using a model rocket retrieval system. It's a whole lot lighter than any GPS system but it sure ain't cheaper!
But, I've got a Watson transmitter a friend gave me - he owned a small hobby shop before moving to CA. Useless without a receiver, so I've been trying to convince myself to part with around $400 or so to complete the system.
After all, that's pretty much exactly what we want - to be able to just find our danged Solo if it misbehaves. Just grab your receiver and track it down!

Rocket Transmitters

That is a very cool solution!! $550 all in is a big first bite, but then you have a system that stays with you and is useable in other hobbies. Wish I'd known about this earlier but I'll consider returning the Trackimo now that I know!!

I installed a small unit from rcbeacon.com, the unit transmits a radio beacon for a directional receiver to easily track location. The transmitter is small, I actually mounted it inside of Solo's #2 motor pod arm and routed the antenna down the same leg. What is sweet about this unit is that it doesn't start transmitting until 30 minutes after it has been activated, so it doesn't interfere with Solo's own communication. Got the whole kit including transmitter, receiver and yagi antenna for ~$160.00 USD. (Current exchange is 1.46:1 US)
The thing will transmit for weeks. Check out their website.

I installed a small unit from rcbeacon.com, the unit transmits a radio beacon for a directional receiver to easily track location. The transmitter is small, I actually mounted it inside of Solo's #2 motor pod arm and routed the antenna down the same leg. What is sweet about this unit is that it doesn't start transmitting until 30 minutes after it has been activated, so it doesn't interfere with Solo's own communication. Got the whole kit including transmitter, receiver and yagi antenna for ~$160.00 USD. (Current exchange is 1.46:1 US)
The thing will transmit for weeks. Check out their website.
*Which version do you use, Multi-rotor 30-min version or Lost Model Tracker – FPV.?
*If the tracker is inside the inside of Solo's #2 motor pod arm how do you remove and replace the jumper?

Rocket Transmitters
Did you purchase the receiver and if so where did you connect the transmitter?

*Which version do you use, Multi-rotor 30-min version or Lost Model Tracker – FPV.?
*If the tracker is inside the inside of Solo's #2 motor pod arm how do you remove and replace the jumper?
I have 3 of the Multi-rotor 30 minute units. Get the jumper extension cable and run it through Solo to where it is convenient for you. My setup is run down the right front leg. I have the jumper "key" attached to a weighted lanyard, when Solo launches it pulls the key and starts the tracker timer. BTW the receiver works with any number of transmitters.

I have 3 of the Multi-rotor 30 minute units. Get the jumper extension cable and run it through Solo to where it is convenient for you. My setup is run down the right front leg. I have the jumper "key" attached to a weighted lanyard, when Solo launches it pulls the key and starts the tracker timer. BTW the receiver works with any number of transmitters.
I'll try to include some pics if I have time today.

I'm using the Marco Polo and here is my mounting scheme(s):

MPonSoloLeg.jpg
I used very small cable ties to attach to leg. Appears to be very tight and the switch and charging port are accessible.

MPonSoloUnderbelly.jpg
This MP is mounted to the fixed mount underbelly. It uses some Velcro, but I didn't trust Velcro alone so also used a Dremel to put 2 small holes in the fixed mount to run a cable tie down through, up, and around the transmitter. Since these transmitters aren't flat on either side, I also used a Dremel grinder to grind small valleys for the protrusions so that it lies more flat. One could drill small holes in the main body underbelly as well I suppose - but that would likely require removing the motherboard for access to fish the cable tie.

I think the main point is that I don't trust Velcro alone as I may be crashing through a series of tree branches or palm fronds that could tear off the transmitter and separate it some distance from the bird in a dense Florida brush.

I'll try to include some pics if I have time today.
I look forward to the pics when you have time. I wonder if they could make a longer time about 40 or 45 minutes then that would give the PIC time to set up the shot and land for a few moments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado