Tower Structure Scan and Camera Angle

Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
Hi all,

I want to test out structure scan on a short (2 - 3 story building) and I have a couple of questions. I appreciate any advice.

1. What happens with the camera angle? If I configure structure scan to start at 200', make 4 steps of 25' each, will it control the gimblal angle?
  2. I never had a chance to use Tower to control the camera shutter and I read that it's broken in the latest Solo software. What do you recommend for my camera settings? If I shoot video + JPGs my GoPro will shoot a JPG every 5 seconds.
  3. Related to #2, I've been setting my camera for medium field of view for survey. What settings have you used for structure scan and what did you think of them? (I have a GoPro 4 Silver).
Thank you, I appreciate any advice.

When I have used structure scan, the camera angle remains and I think in most situations that is what you would want. Think of it as flying a tall structure. You position the Solo at the distance away from the structure that represents the detail you want to achieve. As you fly solo will gain in altitude you specify, with the objective to maintain a given overlap. Basically like doing a survey and you want a 70% overlap. So at a given distance with the GP you would need to gain xx feet each circle to achieve the overlap you want. Structure scan is like a vertical survey, except that it isn't figuring the overlap automatically for you.

I went out to my favorite open field and used my car as the structure.

From what I could tell the gimbal controlled the camera orientation.

I'm frustrated with the lack of control over the shutter. I set my GoPro up for time lapse video of 1 sec and am hoping I can generate stills from it by using my imaging software. Anyone have any comments on camera shutter control?

Angle should always be down 45degrees.

Arrows in the picture show camera angle.
View media item 304
Video is from the perspective of the camera.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The auto camera triigger for GoPro was fixed in the latest firmware release - 2.3.0-1. However, I didn't test or know how it works with a structure scan. It does work again with a survey in Tower.

I went out to my favorite open field and used my car as the structure.

From what I could tell the gimbal controlled the camera orientation.

I'm frustrated with the lack of control over the shutter. I set my GoPro up for time lapse video of 1 sec and am hoping I can generate stills from it by using my imaging software. Anyone have any comments on camera shutter control?
email [email protected] for more information about shutter control. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela