Tower for Apple

Reaction score
I haven't had the pleasure of playing with the Tower app, I use a dedicated ipad mini for solo. Has anyone heard there could one day be an Apple version of Tower? Or should I not wait it out and just pick up a Android device? If so, I have no clue when it comes to Android, can anyone suggest the best device to pair with Solo?

It hasn't happened yet, and there has been more than enough time, so I'd say, "doubtful" of Tower coming to Apple. The one glimmer of hope is now that Solo app is available for Apple devices...just perhaps they might recognize the value of doing this as more people ask for it. But then again, there is APM Planner versus Mission Planner. Little effort put into making APM Planner the equal of MP, so this again makes me think that it is unlikely that Apple will be getting a fair shake anytime in the foreseeable future. Sure hope I'm wrong, but no one at 3DR, to the best of my understanding, has yet made any move to correct my perceptions.

These issues have forced me to hang onto a Windows laptop for the MP and I have to borrow my wife's Android phone for Tower. Yeah...any husband tell me how well your wife stands letting you borrow HER things for YOUR hobbies...uh, huh, that works out well.

Reactions: J R and Ian [P13]
I asked the OP's question directly to 3DR management in a video conference yesterday. They did not sound like there were any immediate plans to prioritize that. It is definitely on my list of "wants"

Reactions: Lonewulph
My mini works great, may have only seen one disconnect from Solo, that was during 'Follow' mode. I just can't use the Tower app since it is an Android app. The app allows you to tweak Solo as well as plot waypoints etc. The word is they will be adding waypoints to Cable mode, who knows when however if so.

I sent an email asking when they will be releasing tower for iOS. This is the response I received.

Ludwing (3drobotics)

Jul 12, 12:45 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics, hope you are having a great day!

At the moment the developer they mention that probably by the end of this year they might release it.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you!
Ludwing M.
3D Robotics Tech Support

Message-Id:3NSJWBVG_55a2c3c452d3_9d1f3fb99dacd32017964e_sprut

Reactions: Lonewulph
"mention", "probably", "might", "end of the year", hopes not up... at all. Wish it would happen though.

Native android apps are built using Java, while native iOS Objective C and more recently Swift with Objective C. While similar, they are still apples and oranges. Sometimes a developer needs to learn a new skill set to make apps available on both iOS and Android.

Some developers (like me) use cross platform technology like Xamarin or JQuery mobile, but sometimes limitations are encountered using cross platform technology. Then there's the fact that you need to compile an iOS app on a Mac (Android apps can be compiled on multiple platforms). I had to shell out a grand just to be able to compile iOS apps for distribution.

Im a iphone user but def want Tower as part of my new Solo operations. Heres my qiestions:

1) What is the aquivlant android/solo compatible that would be comporable to the ipad mini 3 in terms of suze, brightness & processor speeds for smooth video frane rates?

2) If I buy an abdroid device to use for my Solo video & to be able to use Tower, do I need to buy cell phone or data plans to be able to get the apps onto it and also to simply use it with Solo?

I already have my cell phone & wireless plans thru ATT for my iphone & ipad2. Do I need another plan to use an android device with solo?

I just want the simplest solution for using Tower with my Solo as someone with ATT plans & Mac stuff.

1) Tab S or Tab Pro
2) No. Solo App is free from the Google Play store. Connect to WiFi and download.

Wanted Tower as well so got an 8.4 Tab S yesterday at BB $299. Have to say I am impressed with speed brightness, sharpness. Glad I did, nice machine for a dedicated device for SOLO

Don't think you'll see Tower anytime soon, however, the waypoint navigation like Tower has been confirmed (by Vu) as on the plans for the Solo app, so one way or another, much of the waypoint functionality should make it to iOS eventually.

Wanted Tower as well so got an 8.4 Tab S yesterday at BB $299. Have to say I am impressed with speed brightness, sharpness. Glad I did, nice machine for a dedicated device for SOLO
Thanks for the input, think I'll head out and pick one up tomorrow. I'd prefer a dedicated android for solo anyway, no cell data possibly interfering with connectivity etc. Pure wifi.

funny how its an android app and in 3dr website , its on an ipad lol

Attachments

• tower-img.png
    tower-img.png
    238 KB · Views: 43

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421