Tower app

Absolutely. Whatever the last mission you ran will still be in there until you upload a new one. If Tower is blank, that old mission will still be in your drone and still run when you hit auto. If Tower has a new mission that you just planned out right there on the display (but didn't upload), the drone will still run the old one when you hit Auto.

So it's just easier to blank it all out first thing and prevent any confusion.

Thank you for clarifying those aspects of Tower, it's "clear" as a bell now. But seems an oversight in Tower to allow a mission to activate without being visible or a warning of sorts.
Well... Yes and No... Mostly, Yes, though.

Even if you have no waypoints in Tower, once you Arm Solo (or start the motors from your controller), any waypoints in Solo are downloaded into Tower, assuming Tower is open. So now you have waypoints in Tower even if you had cleared it prior to arming. You DO receive an alert so if you're not expecting that, it would be a good time to Disarm/Shut down motors and reassess before flying.
Well there you go, built in safety checks. That's what I would hope was built in to protect the user from making a mistake...at least a warning. I find it useful to hit the centering icon (diagonal arrows) within Tower, it brings any waypoints into view on the screen.

Sorry I was playing the devil with my questions, you're both very aware of what is Tower. Others are just reading and learning from what is said here on the forum. With Tower evolving like it is, it is important to discuss any potential short comings so that they can be addressed.

Well... Yes and No... Mostly, Yes, though.

Even if you have no waypoints in Tower, once you Arm Solo (or start the motors from your controller), any waypoints in Solo are downloaded into Tower, assuming Tower is open. So now you have waypoints in Tower even if you had cleared it prior to arming. You DO receive an alert so if you're not expecting that, it would be a good time to Disarm/Shut down motors and reassess before flying.
Yup. Good catch. Missions always download now - wiping out the hard work you might have just done creating a new mission (which if you are anything like me you didn't save).

Ever flipped into auto by accident and watched your drone head straight for the trees trying to get to a waypoint 300 miles away?

I have.

It's just a good habit to clear your drone of any old missions when you start flying. There are other examples where an old mission can cause problems, usually in the form of something that looks like a fly away a first, until you realize your mistake. I admit I don't always bother to do it, but its something quite a few arducopter pilots do.
So obvious, but I can totally see people forgetting and doing what you just described. I have my first mission in there still, will be scrubbing next time out, good tip!

I've run the same mission multiple days and have used the mission stored in Solo to do so... Just "download mission" from Solo, check map waypoints to make sure they appear where I expect them to be, and then double check my waypoint altitudes from the Editor screen to make sure nothing is screwy.

I always double-check (or even triple-check) my waypoints before an autonomous mission to make sure I know where the bird is going to go when I hit "Auto". Once I'm satisfied that all waypoints are good, I'll "Upload mission" to replace the old mission on Solo - whether or not I made any changes - this assures me that my double-checked mission is what Solo is going to fly. As a matter of safety, I also manually (via controller) take off and rise to a clear altitude where I know that the path to my first waypoint will be clear before hitting "Auto" and starting autonomous flight.

At the end of the mission, I may initiate a "Home" command but take over landing via controller once the bird is close to home.
Almost exactly my procedure, except that I will DL the mission after I upload it just to confirm that Solo and I are on the same mission.

3DR tower app for android lol displayed on an ipad!....still makes me laugh
djwdnaa.jpg

Hello Forum Newbie here so please bare with basic questions

I want o set wayward points and use followme with my new solo 3dr with hero 3 and gimbal.

So does my next tablet need lte on top of built-in GPS and OTG for the tower app

17 tablets later and not ONE of mine seems compatible
I guess I have to buy a new one. grrrrr

Was Hoping my Microsoft surface tablet LTE windows 10 or my windows BLU phone become supported by Tower ground station and solo soon. :)

But I accept I will just have to buy a new tablet just for the SOLO 3dr and the Tower

so only real question is do I need lte

is tethering to my cell a functional solution if I need LTE

thanks so much for a response :) Bill

Hello Forum Newbie here so please bare with basic questions

I want o set wayward points and use followme with my new solo 3dr with hero 3 and gimbal.

So does my next tablet need lte on top of built-in GPS and OTG for the tower app

17 tablets later and not ONE of mine seems compatible
I guess I have to buy a new one. grrrrr

Was Hoping my Microsoft surface tablet LTE windows 10 or my windows BLU phone become supported by Tower ground station and solo soon. :)

But I accept I will just have to buy a new tablet just for the SOLO 3dr and the Tower

so only real question is do I need lte

is tethering to my cell a functional solution if I need LTE

thanks so much for a response :) Bill
Hi Bill,
Tower and SoloApp run on Android.
The Surface and the Blu run windows.
You should be able to use Mission Planner in Windows to plan and run missions for your Solo.
You don't need LTE, just cache the maps into your device at home on wifi, or tethered to your phone, prior to heading out for the mission (only one wifi connection from your tablet, so can't be both tethered and connected to solo).
Hope that helps

neX:)

Reactions: Bill Coughlin
Hello

Does Any one know, does Tower Look at compass Calibration differently if the Compass was calibrated thru the SOLO APP? i remember this warning on compass calibration from APM days that may report in error when the compass is actually fine? just wondering if i have to re-calibrate to use Solo with tower

thanks in advance

Hello

Does Any one know, does Tower Look at compass Calibration differently if the Compass was calibrated thru the SOLO APP? i remember this warning on compass calibration from APM days that may report in error when the compass is actually fine? just wondering if i have to re-calibrate to use Solo with tower

thanks in advance

Thor,

I don't believe so. I've always done my compass cals in the Solo app and I haven't had any issues with Tower. Welcome to the forum.

Jerry

Reactions: nexxypoo
Thor,

I don't believe so. I've always done my compass cals in the Solo app and I haven't had any issues with Tower. Welcome to the forum.

Jerry
I didnt think so but thanks for the response Jerry!

Hi Bill,
Tower and SoloApp run on Android.
The Surface and the Blu run windows.
You should be able to use Mission Planner in Windows to plan and run missions for your Solo.
You don't need LTE, just cache the maps into your device at home on wifi, or tethered to your phone, prior to heading out for the mission (only one wifi connection from your tablet, so can't be both tethered and connected to solo).
Hope that helps

Ok learning fast here .. first 10 flights ... now let me understand if im using mission planner on my surface 3 tablet do I still need the slso software? and is going to be compatible.

So I guess my real question is how many apps am I running to use gps mapping and follow me and run the hero 4 on the gimbal? Is Mission planner running simultaneously with the solo app or replacing it?

Ok learning fast here .. first 10 flights ... now let me understand if im using mission planner on my surface 3 tablet do I still need the slso software? and is going to be compatible.

So I guess my real question is how many apps am I running to use gps mapping and follow me and run the hero 4 on the gimbal? Is Mission planner running simultaneously with the solo app or replacing it?
Bill,

I don't have the solo with me so can't confirm this, but from memory, you just use the Windows device's wifi to connect to the sololink wifi.
From there, it's like Tower, not requiring SoloApp to be running.
...I think....

Mission Planner (Windows) isn't needed to use Solo. It's a bit more advanced for a new user. Learn the others first. Don't run MP at the same time as Tower or the Solo App. Need to connect Mission Planner to the Solo using UDP once your computer is connected to the Solo WiFi.

Tower (Android) is a nice option for planning/flying autonomous way-points and doing surveys. Otherwise, you don't need to be running Tower.

You only need to run the Solo App (Android or iOS). Actually, it's also optional, but you won't have any flight features. You don't "need" to run any app or program to fly Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc