totally discharge?

Reaction score
hello guys

what will happen if the battery completely discharge then stock for maybe a month then charge again it could ruin the cell life?

thanks

Last edited:
It is not good for the battery to leave it fully charged or fully discharged for a long time. Of course it will self discharge over time, so the latter isn't an issue. But it certainly can't self charge. You're shaving off capacity and reducing the lifespan by leaving them fully discharged for a month. There is no magic formula to say exactly how much, but none the less, it's not good. Don't do it. Charge them up to 50%.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
It is not good for the battery to leave it fully charged or fully discharged for a long time. Of course it will self discharge over time, so the latter isn't an issue. But it certainly can't self charge. You're shaving off capacity and reducing the lifespan by leaving them fully discharged for a month. There is no magic formula to say exactly how much, but none the less, it's not good. Don't do it. Charge them up to 50%.
i take ur suggestion under advice, cheers

Last edited:
One of the other members, The Basic Pilot, posted this helpful video on YouTube. It features a 3DR rep. who talks about various things and includes a warning about discharging Solo batteries to 0%.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Cheers,
Kim

Hi everyone..i am new user here. As per my knowledge It is not good for the battery to leave it fully charged or fully discharged for a long time. Of course it will self discharge over time, so the latter isn't an issue. But it certainly can't self charge. You're shaving off capacity and reducing the lifespan by leaving them fully discharged for a month. There is no magic formula to say exactly how much, but none the less, it's not good.

turnkey pcb assembly

Last edited:
if you go all the way to 0 you will damage the battery permanently. there is a ton of information on the web about lipo batteries but the consensus is that permanent bad things start happening when the cell voltage gets below 3 volts.

if you go all the way to 0 you will damage the battery permanently. there is a ton of information on the web about lipo batteries but the consensus is that permanent bad things start happening when the cell voltage gets below 3 volts.
I believe the debate is the Solo battery gauge. It is generally believed that 0 is not the traditional 0 of a lipo battery, but that 3DR calibrated it with some reserve left to get people to land before dropping too far in voltage.

I haven't seen any evidence of this in my testing. I suppose it could be true, but it sounds suspicious. Even if there is a buffer i'm confident it isn't 3 volts worth.

I haven't seen any evidence of this in my testing. I suppose it could be true, but it sounds suspicious. Even if there is a buffer i'm confident it isn't 3 volts worth.
Need to test it myself to be sure. But as far as 'evidence' I would point out the pilots that have landed safely at 0. I've never gone below 10% just out of respect to the battery.

oh ok - I took the original question at face value. Your now asking about percentage in the 3dr app, not the actual voltage of the battery.

I sort of believe what Philip says when it comes to batteries.
Charge them full before flying, and fly as long as you can and safely land. I don't push it to 0 but if I land at 8% I don't worry anymore
so far it is proving to be fine
I start home at 25
interesting things can happen on that journey

I do the same. Enjoy flying and put the legs on the ground between 5 and 10%. You need to be aware of of your distance from landing and such. I'm usually back in my landing area between 10 and 15%. Then I just toy around for the last minute or two. Practice maneuvering with it nose-in or something.

In regards to the reported % of the battery remaining Solo displays, 0 is definitely not 0 in the traditional sense. Flew a scan today and the flight was almost 22min long. I landed with 0% remaining and the voltage was 13.15 or 3.287v per cell. Just barely above the generally accepted minimum of 3.2v per cell. So it looks like 0% may be around the 3.2v per cell minimum. (note in the bottom right of the Status Screen; Total dist traveled=7,956yds and time in Air=1302sec or 21.7 min) Flight speed was 15mph. This was on a battery that was bought last fall and has about 25 flights on it.
IiVIdb

Reactions: PdxSteve and pyrate
That's been my experience as well @Jubalr. Think of the percent indicator as for actual useful flying time and not an indicator of total battery capacity or voltage. And 0 is really a mental safeguard. There is a bit more juice after that, but not much at all. I try to be in my general landing area around 25% but on the ground with 5-10% left. It really all depends on the flight and obstructions near the LZ.

Reactions: Jubalr
That's been my experience as well @Jubalr. Think of the percent indicator as for actual useful flying time and not an indicator of total battery capacity or voltage. And 0 is really a mental safeguard. There is a bit more juice after that, but not much at all. I try to be in my general landing area around 25% but on the ground with 5-10% left. It really all depends on the flight and obstructions near the LZ.
Same here Steve. I try to hit the legs at 10% or better. And it makes more sense to see the gauge as actual flight time information. I had set this scan up and new it would be close, in fact I aborted the last few seconds of the last WP to bring it in.

so meaning if the indicator shows 0 the battery time to dispose?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44