Thread Lock

Reaction score
When reinstalling screws are y'all using thread lock. There appears to be some type of thread lock from the factory. The thread lock products I have found say do not use on plastic, or may affect some plastics. What type of thread lock would one want to use?

The thread lock on the various bolts is of a type that is reusable. You should be able to reuse without further application of a thread lock material, 20 installs at a minimum.

RC shops carry thread lock that pre-treats the bolts, similar to the factory's application. Basically you apply and allow to dry prior to assembly, 10-30 minutes. I believe the material is sold under the brand ZAP and is the Z-42 material. It seems my bottle of the material decided to walk...to confirm otherwise.

Thank you for the information Rich. I decided to oil the bearings and noticed the material on the factory screws. The material appears somewhat brittle and I did not know that it was reusable. I contacted the only hobby store in may area and the label on their products warned about using on certain plastics. I will check out the ZAP brand. Thanks again.

Not so much brittle, but more like it rolls off in my experience. That is the excess material being displaced when you disassemble.

I contacted the only hobby store in may area and the label on their products warned about using on certain plastics.
I'm sure that would be the case if the assembly was done wet. The ZAP material did dry to a film in a reasonable amount of time. Whereas a comparable Loctite branded Blue material stayed wet for several days.

The screws are small and fine. Whatever you use, no need to over do the application of thread locker. In this case, more is not better.

McMaster sells a material called Vibra-Tite - VC-3, it dries really fast. I don't like it for these fine screws, as it tends to not conform as well as the Z-42.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure. But maybe some body else will benefit from the shared experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado