The Solo Ebay Bargains....

OK, so the next final update.... hey, there MAY be one more but I doubt it....

Drone 1: Paired with the controller, updated fine (stock software) and turns out the front right motor pod is dead. The other three work just fine. So will inspect for cable issues, if I don't find any, I'll just replace the motor pod and see what happens.
Well I used drone 3 as a spare parts drone, took the motor out (4) and swapped it with the motor from Drone 1... however no dice. However did notice that the cable from the motor to the controller board wasn't plugged in. So tried plugging it in, wouldn't go in. Took a closer look and saw that one of the pins was bent. Straightened it with a tweezers, plugged the motor back in... it did that little "jumpy" turn on start up, the sign of a dead motor pod (used the motor test in solex without luck). So swapped in another motor from Drone 3, and viola, worked just fine! However.... motor 3 was making a sound that sounded like a dodgy bearing, so swapped that out with the #3 from Drone 3. So now 1 fully working drone!

Drone 2: It's working just fine, no strangeness at all.

Drone 3: One motor dead for sure ( could actually smell it when I pulled it out), have removed the other 3 motors at this point. Two of them are in drone one, so that leaves 1 possibly not working motor, 1 working motor, 1 motor that sounds like it has a dodgy bearing (originally from Drone 1). This drone also has the compass legs and antenna legs ripped off and it's the one that would like up, but not do anything else ( no beeps no nothing). So thinking this will just b e a spare parts drone, I don't want to invest the money in spare parts to make it fly after all, I have 5 working drones now, I don't think I need a 6th. It's worth more to me as spare parts.

So unless anything changes, that's where I stand for now. $168 investment and 2 fully working drones in return and some spare parts worth about $200 in total.

Maybe after all this Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas madness dies down we'll see a few more bundles of broken drones come up on ebay. For now though, I think the investment was worthwhile.

For less than a $1000- I know it’s 6 Solo’s, 12 batteries, a boatload of legs, lenses, 5 DR backpacks, the 6th one I ordered had the Lowepro carrying bag- 6 extended controller batteries, 6 gopro sun shades, and the 3DR sun screen for your phone-
should have seen the excitement in my wife’s eyes. I thought it was her eyes tearing up, but I was mistaken- she was full out crying.
Folks think it’s 3 Solo batteries per bundle... but I think it’s only 2
will see tomorrow- UPS guy hates me.

Nah, $89 for a fully repairable drone was the best bargain I could ask for (that's what the 3 pack worked out to if I exclude the drone I'm using for parts).

sweet. just didn’t want the deal to get pass you without a heads up- they had just Solo for $129- but for the extra $30 you really made out with the extras-

I saw that deal too, but wasn't going to invest that much, but would love to hear how it goes. Will be good to find out if buying 1 or buying a "pack of 5" is a better investment. After this? Will have to do a write up on buying 2nd hand go pro's!

I have 2x GoPro Hero3 that I bought 'broken' Both had the same problem and simply needed a new battery, which are about $10 each. I even got both the old batteries going by discharging them with a cap and recharging from flat with a 12 volt power supply.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela