Testing a used gimbal?

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used gimbal. Any recommendations on how to test if all the functions work properly? All I have is the solo right now.

Just_Bruce and Rich West will be the best two to answer your question. Bruce has repaired and sold some broken units and Rich has fabricated tools to straighten bent gimbals- they have both “ broken down “ the gimbal to indentify issues

Reactions: DeadBeatDaddy
Just_Bruce and Rich West will be the best two to answer your question. Bruce has repaired and sold some broken units and Rich has fabricated tools to straighten bent gimbals- they have both “ broken down “ the gimbal to indentify issues
Thanks. I will be testing to see if it pans and tilts properly via the controller but other than that I'm not sure if there are other things that I should watch out for.

A few guys complain about the hdmi cable-
the arm can get bent it the Solo falls from the air and the gimbal takes impact- sure there are numerous other things that can go wrong - electronic components etc.
hopefully you get one from a straight shooter and not some bag of shit trying to push junk down the road!

If you have the Solo and at least a GP 3+B, then you should be able to evaluate if the gimbal works or not. Just hook everything up and turn Solo on, no need to fly it to test gimbals functions and video feed. Pick the bird and see if the gimbal keeps the camera level and centered.

If you have the Solo and at least a GP 3+B, then you should be able to evaluate if the gimbal works or not. Just hook everything up and turn Solo on, no need to fly it to test gimbals functions and video feed. Pick the bird and see if the gimbal keeps the camera level and centered.
So when I am picking it up the solo I should be able to control the camera from the controller and it should stay fixed looking at a that specific position? Does it have any particular start up sequence I should look for? What is its normal resting/startup position? Sorry for the dumb questions, I haven't seen one of these in action before.

It should be pointed full forward (90 degrees) when Solo is on a flat surface, once the system is booted up with camera installed. When you pick Solo up it should compensate for the pitch and roll of Solo, basically a level camera. The Solo gimbal will lag slightly on a yaw rotation up to a point, but should attempt to center as it catches up. These are all normal for a working gimbal. Also the above applies with the camera pointed straight down (0 degrees) as well.

Depending on your camera version, check that you have camera control. As you mentioned check pitch control of the gimbal. If the gimbal is flopping around , buzzing or you have no video feed, then it's a questionable gimbal.

I recommend reading the manual, all things gimbal are there for things I haven't covered. Basic installation instruction are there as well and should be followed to eval quickly the used gimbal. I assume you have a limited time to return if gimbal is bad...

Good luck with the gimbal.

Reactions: blahdc
It should be pointed full forward (90 degrees) when Solo is on a flat surface, once the system is booted up with camera installed. When you pick Solo up it should compensate for the pitch and roll of Solo, basically a level camera. The Solo gimbal will lag slightly on a yaw rotation up to a point, but should attempt to center as it catches up. These are all normal for a working gimbal. Also the above applies with the camera pointed straight down (0 degrees) as well.

Depending on your camera version, check that you have camera control. As you mentioned check pitch control of the gimbal. If the gimbal is flopping around , buzzing or you have no video feed, then it's a questionable gimbal.

I recommend reading the manual, all things gimbal are there for things I haven't covered. Basic installation instruction are there as well and should be followed to eval quickly the used gimbal. I assume you have a limited time to return if gimbal is bad...

Good luck with the gimbal.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. I will definitely look into the manual. I will be buying a solo + gimbal package and I will be able to try it with a GP4 as well. No returns after purchase so I am just trying to make sure I don't miss something obvious.

Maybe hold on to that gimbal and compare it to the new one you acquire. It would be depressing if you send it down the road and it ends up being perfectly good; especially if it goes down the road at a lost of $$$

Don't forget to turn on the camera prior to placing it in the gimbal. Also, remember to snap the green plug into the camera. I know it sounds lame, but these are things I've forgotten to do on more than one occasion. Also, if no feed, ck the camera and make sure it's not 'frozen'. Believe it or not, GoPro's do that a lot it seems. Just remove and replace the same battery (assuming it has a charge) and you should be good to go. Have fun! Oh yeah, the yaw isn't controlled by us, I'm pretty sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig