Taking off from building

If you have compass interference, you can't change that by changing modes. The steel beams are still there,
I have a large plastic storage box that serves as both a container for miscellaneous drone stuff and I use it to take off from. Gets me a foot above the rebar.
Also, if you're taking off from a building or other not so ideal location, climb up and away from the structure and do a full 360 degree rotation. The compass will realign itself when you do that.
Cool! I didn't know this, thanks.

If the car show/flight area is in a Class D, you will need a waiver or airspace authorization from the FAA, *unless* the Airport which has the Class Delta has effective hours and you're flying outside of those hours when you fly. Most Class D reverts to Class E (not at surface) outside of operating hours.

However, if the flight area is within 5 miles of an untowered airport, you *could* have an E-at-surface airspace, which you'd also need a waiver or airspace authorization from the FAA for.

All of this assumes Pt. 107 licensing, which you'd almost HAVE to be as I read the situation.

Yes, I have my 107 license. I see I will need FAA approval. The 107 regs mislead me. If I was a hobbyist, then this applies: "Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport." But since I am flying commercial, I have to get an FAA waiver because its Class D to the surface. So, if they ask me to fly, I have to say wait a couple of months so I can get permission, and by then the car show season is over. I just need to proactively file for waivers in all these small towns around me (with airports) so I don't have to turn down opportunities.

However, a hobbyist can just ask for permission from the local airport. <sigh>

Yes, I have my 107 license. I see I will need FAA approval. The 107 regs mislead me. If I was a hobbyist, then this applies: "Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport." But since I am flying commercial, I have to get an FAA waiver because its Class D to the surface. So, if they ask me to fly, I have to say wait a couple of months so I can get permission, and by then the car show season is over. I just need to proactively file for waivers in all these small towns around me (with airports) so I don't have to turn down opportunities.

However, a hobbyist can just ask for permission from the local airport. <sigh>
You could try filing for a onetime airspace authorization. My understanding is that those are MUCH faster to process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc