Stuck power button

Reaction score
I am soliciting the collective knowledge and experience of this forum for a problem I've just experienced.

After flying this Solo without any problems or issues since January 2017, I recently took it out and flew through 2 Solo batteries with no problems, packed it up and went home. The next time I was going to fly it, I found that the controller battery was dead. OK, Go home, charge the battery. After charging the controller battery I tested it at home without props but when I got the signal to hold fly button and then gave power to the motors, the motors would then shut off within 1 or 2 seconds. After going through that same process a couple of times, I realized the controller power on button wasn't clicking and was actually stuck down and the only way I could get the controller to shut off was to remove its battery. After taking the controller apart and cleaning dirt and grit around the button so it wasn't sticking anymore, then very carefully re-assembled, making sure all wire connections were back together.
I re-started everything without props on. When the motors started and I gave it power, everything seems normal but then I realized that it was stuck on high speed and wouldn't slow down. Remember, this is all without props on, sitting on my sundeck. I touched the A button which I had previously set as manual flight but without props, nothing was noticeable. I think it was when I hit the "Fly" button again I started getting a cascade of alerts on the controller screen. I don't remember the order but I saw, "crash detected", "rewind", "Fly" and I can't remember what else. The left stick didn't seem to make much difference where I moved it, the motors wouldn't speed up or slow down and I couldn't get the motors to shut down till I used the emergency shut down procedure which thankfully worked.

Other than the MRO purple GPS upgrade, this Solo is stock. I am using the stock Solo software for my ios 6s.
Can anybody help? I'm nervous to put the props on to try it as it would seem that it might just fly away on me or do something that I couldn't control. Could the controller power button being stuck in the down position with it on till it's battery died have fried something? That seems to be the only thing that was different from the last time it was in the air and flying without issues.

Many thanks in advance.

It was trying to compensate for not having props on it, By hitting the Fly button it was trying to use GPS but probably just getting multipathing/gps errors because it was not moving (think about it)
try that same procedure but in stabilized mode, arm by holding left stick down and to the right, then raise and lower throttle it should raise and lower the motor RPM now hold left stick down and to the left it should disarm. If it does this correctly re-install props and take it for a flight in either stabilized (no Altitude hold) or manual mode (altitude hold), NOTE you will not be utilizing gps in these modes so you will be at the mercy of the wind and you will have to counteract with the sticks to keep the Solo steady...

Last edited:
Reactions: daniel s
Thanks for your thoughts! I'll try that. But I am going to take my gimbal off before I put props back on. Just in case something unexpected happens, you know. Gimbals are getting more precious than Solos these days.

Reactions: XevetS
Thanks for your thoughts! I'll try that. But I am going to take my gimbal off before I put props back on. Just in case something unexpected happens, you know. Gimbals are getting more precious than Solos these days.
VERY SMART .taking gimble off.. hope u get problrm worked out.. keep us updated

Buttons sticking has been a known issue on the controller. I recommend sanding out the button holes for all the buttons to create a better gap. The controller's deck flexes somewhat, so stickie buttons can activate just holding the controller tightly.

As to your motor run up and not having stick control...with props off. Solo is expecting a change in altitude. If this happens again, full motor rev, pick the bird up and then apply throttle down. The motors should decrease, at that point you can set the bird down and continue whatever you were doing...

Buttons sticking has been a known issue on the controller. I recommend sanding out the button holes for all the buttons to create a better gap. The controller's deck flexes somewhat, so stickie buttons can activate just holding the controller tightly.

As to your motor run up and not having stick control...with props off. Solo is expecting a change in altitude. If this happens again, full motor rev, pick the bird up and then apply throttle down. The motors should decrease, at that point you can set the bird down and continue whatever you were doing...
Thanks for that. I haven't had an opportunity to test all the advice yet but it all makes good sense. I took your advice from a previous question I found on this forum about sticking buttons. In my case I just sanded the one button that was giving me grief and left the others for another time. I appreciate your time you took to respond. Once I get back to it, I'll report back.

Reactions: RichWest
I am just following up with a promised update for my issue I requested help with above. Yes, I tried it in Stabilize mode with the props off and yes the motors powered up and down as XevetS advised. I also used your suggestion, RichWest , with good success. It made me more comfortable when I took Raven 2 this morning and put the MA props on for a test flight after having taken the controller apart and sanded the offending hole a little larger. I did take the gimbal off though for the flight, just to be on the safe side in case something went crazy. Everything was just fine and I flew through 2 batteries. Since I had set up Button B for Stabilize mode, I gave it a try. I didn't realize that in that mode the bird automatically goes up even with my hand off the left stick. I had to pull the stick down to bring elevation down. I think I like Fly Manual or regular GPS connected FLY. Flying conditions were great with clear skies, a slight breeze. I had up to 25 satellites most of the time and an HDOP of .5! Love my purple MRO.
Thanks guys. Now I will put my gimbal back on and fly happily ever after.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl