State Farm Drone Insurance

So I walk in to State Farm w/ my drone and say I'd like comprehensive and collision for my solo/GoPro?

So I walk in to State Farm w/ my drone and say I'd like comprehensive and collision for my solo/GoPro?

You could do that OR you could walk in and ask for a personal property insurance policy for items worth less than $2,000. In fact, I believe that I could actually add items to my policy like my tablet. Hmmmm....

Sure...Just hit "reply" under my post and it'll add my post to yours.
I'm with Lon. I use this forum to meet and learn how to be a better pilot, learn from others and get information. Please don't let this forum devolve into a wonky space where good information is nothin more than a talking point about who is right and who is wrong. My two cents.

Lon, what state do you live in? BTW, thank you for the info. Some of us AMERICANS, who spend their hard earned money on things that make us happy, would like an "insurance policy" to help keep those things going, especially at such an affordable price. If you bought the BB refurb, vs the B&H new version, you're first year insurance would have been paid for! [emoji6]

Lon, what state do you live in? BTW, thank you for the info. Some of us AMERICANS, who spend their hard earned money on things that make us happy, would like an "insurance policy" to help keep those things going, especially at such an affordable price. If you bought the BB refurb, vs the B&H new version, you're first year insurance would have been paid for! [emoji6]

Michigan. Yea I can see why other countries would hate on us, it's a burden you bear when you're the best!

Oh you dog! You brought it back around! Yea it's cheaper than the Go Pro coverage, Square Trade drone coverage or DJI's coverage with no deductible and like I said, I'm pretty sure I can add my tablet and pretty much anything to it up to the limit. Plus you can increase the limit anytime you want. I'm not sure what the down side is but I'm sure some one will find it.

Oh you dog! You brought it back around! Yea it's cheaper than the Go Pro coverage, Square Trade drone coverage or DJI's coverage with no deductible and like I said, I'm pretty sure I can add my tablet and pretty much anything to it up to the limit. Plus you can increase the limit anytime you want. I'm not sure what the down side is but I'm sure some one will find it.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. All in good fun.

Where do you live? I wonder if it's different in different states.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. All in good fun.

Where do you live? I wonder if it's different in different states.
Michigan. Sorry I fixed it. Yea I'm sure it can be different in different states but I've lived all over and have always had State Farm. A personal property policy is always available. They may have exclusions though. You'll have to hash that out with your agent.

Reactions: djensen623
Dear, dear, dear. This all got started with well intended information and then went right down the drain. I know nothing about insurance especially when it comes to something as controversial as Drone Insurance. I have asked my insurance agent to look into what's out there months ago with no response. I can inject that my gut tells me that insurance guidelines are not equal from country to country. Then there is the environment that you are flying in; hobby (101 here in the US) or commercial under 107 rules. Here in the US the AMA offers FREE coverage for their members and well worth looking into. https://goo.gl/NpKrvU Then there is Verifly that continues to improve their opps. Great for the "causal commercial user" like me. For full time commercial operations there are new providers jumping in as the industry builds. out. The State Farm property inclusion looks interesting. I would be very cautious taking for granted that any homeowners policy would provide liability for a UAS related claim unless it specifically listed in the fine print.

Dear, dear, dear. This all got started with well intended information and then went right down the drain. I know nothing about insurance especially when it comes to something as controversial as Drone Insurance. I have asked my insurance agent to look into what's out there months ago with no response. I can inject that my gut tells me that insurance guidelines are not equal from country to country. Then there is the environment that you are flying in; hobby (101 here in the US) or commercial under 107 rules. Here in the US the AMA offers FREE coverage for their members and well worth looking into. https://goo.gl/NpKrvU Then there is Verifly that continues to improve their opps. Great for the "causal commercial user" like me. For full time commercial operations there are new providers jumping in as the industry builds. out. The State Farm property inclusion looks interesting. I would be very cautious taking for granted that any homeowners policy would provide liability for a UAS related claim unless it specifically listed in the fine print.

I don't disagree with this as far as liability goes... I wasn't trying to cover liability in any case. Btw I talked to my agent about this when I added the Samsung Tab S2 8.0 I use to fly and he maintains that I'm covered. The FAA may consider any drone over 1/2 pound to be an aircraft but the underwriters at State Farm still thinks it's a toy. They define an aircraft as something you ride in. To them it would be like considering an RC car to be an automobile. Oh and before someone says it's not the same, they have RC cars that do over 100 mph and cost a grand. It's still a toy.

Hey, I finally got my insurance policy in the mail and just wanted to touch base with anyone interested. It's a personal property policy for $1000 that covers my drone and Go Pro Hero 4 Black. It cost $60 annually and has no deductible. If you walk into an agent and they claim not to do this, have them check and they'll find that they do. Just letting you all know.[/QUOT
Hey, I finally got my insurance policy in the mail and just wanted to touch base with anyone interested. It's a personal property policy for $1000 that covers my drone and Go Pro Hero 4 Black. It cost $60 annually and has no deductible. If you walk into an agent and they claim not to do this, have them check and they'll find that they do. Just letting you all know.
You cannot make everyone happy, and if you try you're wasting your time. Most people would bitch if you gave them a million dollars. Lol

You cannot make everyone happy, and if you try you're wasting your time. Most people would bitch if you gave them a million dollars. Lol
I guess, it just sucks because there's a lot of stuff I would post, videos, info, etc but don't feel like dealing with the constant blow back.

Hey, I finally got my insurance policy in the mail and just wanted to touch base with anyone interested. It's a personal property policy for $1000 that covers my drone and Go Pro Hero 4 Black. It cost $60 annually and has no deductible. If you walk into an agent and they claim not to do this, have them check and they'll find that they do. Just letting you all know.

This is a great idea, never thought of it specifically for expensive hobby equipment (if you're doing commercial work, like asked about above, they'd probably look at it differently). I'm familiar with State Farm's personal articles policies (for items such as jewelry, firearms, computer equipment, etc.) as I have State Farm Home Owners insurance. There's probably a deductible (just as if anything else was stolen / lost under the policy), and its probably $250 or $500, depending on your own policy. This is great coverage if everything was stolen from your car or something (let's say a Solo or two, several batteries, GoPro, tablet, laptop, etc., it all adds up), but perhaps a "fly-away" of a Solo and GoPro might not exceed the deductible for replacement costs (with Solo so cheap these days). You might have to get a "stated-value" policy for greater replacement cost rather than an "up-to" policy. Thinking?

Now I really like this because I have a custom hexa-copter that I have over $2500 into the build (3 cameras, electronics, 6S battery, motors, etc.). I've never had a flyaway with it (it runs off a Pixhawk F/C), but I have had a couple mishaps with it when the "tuning" wasn't correct (especially when flying with a heavy 16,000mAh 6S battery). I had one crash where the battery caught fire upon impact, and the whole bird almost burned-up (fortunately I had the foresight to kick the battery off). Repairs cost me about $250. That would be an interesting call the insurance adjuster (I need some one to come out do an estimate on my drone, LOL).

Liability insurance is also an interesting topic. I wonder, if like firearms (let's say), if I take a gun that I own and shoot someone (even breaking into my house), what kind of coverage one may have in that case. We have had home invasions / burglaries in our town (Las Vegas) where the intruder was shot by the home owner, but the intruder did not die. Then the intruder sues the home owner. Of course we never hear about the outcome (I'm assuming the home owner prevails and the media doesn't cover that). I wonder how this (or a drone accident hitting people or property) is covered?

But here is something else to think about if you are not an AMA member (and would be a good reason to join). The AMA provides an insurance policy to it's members to cover liability issues (and they do have a loss policy, but it has a $1000 deductible). As I read the policy, it seems to be meant for if you are flying at one of their AMA sanctioned fields and your aircraft hits a bystander, or does damage, then you are covered. I'm an AMA member, and that's one reason I joined was for the insurance. It doesn't specifically state you are not covered when not flying at a sanctioned field (as we often fly in the middle of the desert here where there is nothing around, like a dry lake bed), so again I would be curious how this coverage extends to these circumstances. Something to consider.

Great Topic!

good to know that state farm has this coverage...thank you

i'm gonna call and see if they have it in my area.

Had my SF policy for a year now, they will probably ask for your Solo Serial # and receipts for it and things added, GP etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela