State Farm Drone Insurance

Reaction score
Hey, I finally got my insurance policy in the mail and just wanted to touch base with anyone interested. It's a personal property policy for $1000 that covers my drone and Go Pro Hero 4 Black. It cost $60 annually and has no deductible. If you walk into an agent and they claim not to do this, have them check and they'll find that they do. Just letting you all know.

I agree with @Soul Patch Films It sounds like its just coverage on the unit. Are you in aMurika? I live in Canada, we as well have state farm. As your price seems very low, but if its in Murika dollars then that seems ok.

Yes it's just coverage for the unit as it's a personal property policy. My homeowners will cover me for liability, according to my agent. Personal liability coverage has always been available and I'm sure they'd be happy to write you a policy.

Last edited:
Yes ours just coverage for the unit as it's a personal property policy. Muy homeowners will cover me for liability, according to my agent. Personal liability coverage has always been available and I'm sure they'd be happy to write you a policy.
Does your homeowners policy specifically cover you for liability.....? I doubt it. At least ours doesn't here in Canada. Home owners insurance policy specifically states no aircraft coverage of any kind same as our vehicle polices. You typically have to take out a specific drone policy, I would double check if I were you. And especially if your doing it for monetary gain! Your home owners would probably cover the drone it self, but not you flying it and crashing into someones face....

Does your homeowners policy specifically cover you for liability.....? I doubt it. At least ours doesn't here in Canada. Home owners insurance policy specifically states no aircraft coverage of any kind same as our vehicle polices. You typically have to take out a specific drone policy, I would double check if I were you. And especially if your doing it for monetary gain! Your home owners would probably cover the drone it self, but not you flying it and crashing into someones face....

Man, what is going on lately? I'm trying to give out some decent info, reviews, insurance, etc and all I get is arguments. I never said that my drone policy covers liability, in fact, I clearly stated it was a personal property policy with a $2,000 limit for $60. I clearly stated that I checked with my agent, guess what insurance company, and he told me that I'm covered for liability when flying my drone. The same if I'm playing catch and hit someone with a ball. Oh and according to my agent and normal, sane people, a flying toy isn't considered an "aircraft". I guess if you throw a paper airplane and poke someone in the eye, you're not covered.... If he's wrong, he's wrong but since I have it in writing (email) I'll take my chances. To be honest, I'm not worried about liability anyway. I've been flying drones for six years and operating RC models most of my life. I personally have never known anyone that's been sued. I said personally, internet stories aside.

BTW it is AMERICA, just thank your lucky stars we haven't annexed your country and kicked you all back to England and France. How about you refer to my country with respect from now on?

Last edited:
Man, what is going on lately? I'm trying to give out some decent info, reviews, insurance, etc and all I get is arguments. I never said that my drone policy covers liability, in fact, I clearly stated it was a personal property policy with a $2,000 limit for $60. I clearly stated that I checked with my agent, guess what insurance company, and he told me that I'm covered for liability when flying my drone. The same if I'm playing catch and hit someone with a ball. Oh and according to my agent and normal, sane people, a flying toy isn't considered an "aircraft". I guess if you throw a paper airplane and poke someone in the eye, you're not covered.... If he's wrong, he's wrong but since I have it in writing (email) I'll take my chances. To be honest, I'm not worried about liability anyway. I've been flying drones for six years and operating RC models most of my life. I personally have never known anyone that's been sued. I said personally, internet stories aside.

BTW it is AMERICA, just thank your lucky stars we haven't annexed your country and kicked you all back to England and France. How about you refer to my country with respect from now on?
Meow.

Canada / Usa potato patato. Back on topic from all the millennial trolls. In Amurika your home owners could very well cover you and if it does thats great. However, here in Canuk you REQUIRE specific insurance to fly. Ours costs average $60.00 CAD / month. (720/ year CAD). Too much for the recreational flyer. For a business its fairly cheap. And if you have your Drone liability in writing well then your set. Happy hovering buddy! Have a great day!

Well you kinda went off on a rant there and I'm not replying to get into a kissing contest but... As for your drone you mention it also covers your GoPro. So your drone would be over the .5 lbs. threshold. In America any drone over .5 lbs. must be registered with the FAA. Since the intro of P107 your drone is not classified as a toy it is an aircraft and your insurance company will not cover damage you may do to someone's property or person casused by an aircraft. Toy maybe but as the FAA has deemed yours and mine and everyone else's drones as aircraft and no longer toys your liability is different. I would recommend reading part 107 of the FAA guidelines and realize when it comes to actually using your insurance unless its aircraft insurance or drone insurance your home owners claim will be denied.

Last edited:
Can you still get this policyif you work commercially with drones or is it strictly for recreational use?

That I don't know, sir. Because it's a personal property policy and not an operator policy, like an automobile policy. I'm not sure that they make that distinction on the drone. On the other hand, they do exclude cameras that are used professionally but offer additional coverage. Considering the fact that the Go Pro is much cheaper than the average professional camera rig, I'm guessing that it's probably not that much for the additional coverage. Of course, you'd have to address that with your agent.

Reactions: Juan Peinado
Hey, I finally got my insurance policy in the mail and just wanted to touch base with anyone interested. It's a personal property policy for $1000 that covers my drone and Go Pro Hero 4 Black. It cost $60 annually and has no deductible. If you walk into an agent and they claim not to do this, have them check and they'll find that they do. Just letting you all know.

Is this crash insurance? Theft? Both?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Well you kinda went off on a rant there and I'm not replying to get into a kissing contest but... As for your drone you mention it also covers your GoPro. So your drone would be over the .5 lbs. threshold. In America any drone over .5 lbs. must be registered with the FAA. Since the intro of P107 your drone is not classified as a toy it is an aircraft and your insurance company will not cover damage you may do to someone's property or person casused by an aircraft. Toy maybe but as the FAA has deemed yours and mine and everyone else's drones as aircraft and no longer toys your liability is different. I would recommend reading part 107 of the FAA guidelines and realize when it comes to actually using your insurance unless its aircraft insurance or drone insurance your home owners claim will be denied.

Okay, and I stated that I purchased a personal property policy from State Farm. I never mentioned liability and am not actually worried about liability. Now that I think about it, I have a blanket commercial policy that covers me up to one million, so that might even cover me for liability. All I can say is that MY insurance agent has written ME and stated that MY homeowner's policy will cover ME if I'm flying my drone recreationally and pop somebody in the head. I don't think that the insurance company is "bound" by the FAA's definition but I would agree that it could be used as a convenient excuse to not cover an incident.

In any case, I strictly posted this as information for anyone interested in covering their drone. I didn't claim to be an expert on international insurance law and personally don't care. I'm not even sure whether or not State Farm insures in Canada. I laid out a certain set of circumstances, for certain pieces of equipment, at a certain cost. If you don't think that it's worthwhile to pay $60 per year to cover your Solo and Go Pro against loss, okay. I did and I thought that others might as well.

I know I'm going to get the "internet tough guy" label but my "ranting" would be the least of your worries if you disrespect the USA in my presence. I don't think it's cute or funny to make fun of America and I've been in a "few" alterations because of it.

You know, I gave another member a little crap about not posting about a cheap sun shield he found that works well with the Solo controller. Now I can see why he didn't, with all of you waiting around to pick apart every post and review. Yeesh.

Last edited:
Is this crash insurance? Theft? Both?

Thanks...

--

Bill

My policy, in my state covers loss of any kind other than nuclear bombs and war. To include fly aways, crashes, theft, fires, etc. All I can say is call an agent to see what your specific options are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan Peinado

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle