SOLVED ...(NOT a 3DR issue)What else is new - another update breaks Android

Reaction score
Prior to the last 3DR services update (Sept 22nd) I had trouble which I posted about. I downloaded the Beta version of the Solo app and I had the best experience ever with Solo. Smooth video from the Gimbal at long distances and no problems whatsoever. I've been asking around trying to find out how I can actually contribute to beta testing these versions cuz at this point I hit every single android bug. Getting tired of this shit. Nothing worse than packing up and heading out to a location only to realize that you have constant Wi-Fi disconnects once you get there. Never happened to me before and almost panicked when I lost wifi/video.

Does anyone at 3DR read these forums? How do I beta test? I know how to get beta versions but I need to know where to post to report problems that don't fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
At the moment 3DR just beta test with their own staff I believe.

At the moment 3DR just beta test with their own staff I believe.
probably due to their replacement warranty. . don't want a fly away or crash due to softwarw..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The beta version is available and you can join the beta program on Google plus community but I have no clue if they read anything posted there.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Million dollar question.....does anyone know if we can get our hands on the different versions like the actual.apk files to install manually? If I can get the combo I had a few days ago I would not update again until they release actual gopro settings control. I had no reason to update but my tablet was set to auto update.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Just did some more testing. I connected to Sololink wifi from my laptop to see if the connection ever drops and it stays up so I know its software related somehow. The Wifi never actually drops but the Solo app on android claims it does and disconnects from Solo wifi. Fired up my daughter's ipad mini 3 and it works flawlessly. Never disconnects from wifi and seems fine. However, the solo app version on IOS is still from the 13th of Sept (v1.1.1) while the Android version is 1.1.3.1 from Sept 18th.

I also tried the beta which is 1.1.3.1.beta which was released yesterday (Sept 22nd) and it has the same problem. Whatever version was before that worked fine but 3DR services were also updated on the 22nd v1.4.1 so I'm not sure if its a combination of the two or just 3DR services that's hosing everything up.

Seems like I can force a disconnect of Wifi by hitting the record button in the solo app to start recording the goPro.

The Solo Android beta app from my understanding is the same as what you would get from the play store minus the device restrictions. In other words you can install it on any android device to test for device compatibility, but the functionality is the same.

The Solo Android beta app from my understanding is the same as what you would get from the play store minus the device restrictions. In other words you can install it on any android device to test for device compatibility, but the functionality is the same.

That may be the case. I'm paying closer attention to version numbers going forward but I know I tested the beta and non beta version of the solo app a few days ago when I was having different disconnect issues (Solo would disconnect, "looking for Solo"). Loading up the Beta worked but when I launched the normal version it exhibited problems. On top of that, the beta version would not load maps and the release version would. Anyway, going forward I'm going to make sure all my apps are set to manual update and I will pay special attention to version numbers.

That may be the case. I'm paying closer attention to version numbers going forward but I know I tested the beta and non beta version of the solo app a few days ago when I was having different disconnect issues (Solo would disconnect, "looking for Solo"). Loading up the Beta worked but when I launched the normal version it exhibited problems. On top of that, the beta version would not load maps and the release version would. Anyway, going forward I'm going to make sure all my apps are set to manual update and I will pay special attention to version numbers.
Be sure nothing changed on your tablet regarding OS updates, etc.. In particular, be sure that the setting to auto scan for WiFi is turned off. That is one of the biggest reasons for disconnects in Android. If it were something coded in the new version, I would think it would be affecting more androids.

I have found on my Samsung Tab 4 that after the latest update installs I have to bring up the task manager, close all apps, clear the ram and then totally shutdown and reboot. This seems to fix the connection errors for me. <edit> I have had to do this for the last two android updates.

Last edited:
I feel like a horses ass. I was certain that the latest problem I encountered was software related. Here's what the problem was...

I recently bought a new tablet, same one but LTE version. Its a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 LTE from Sprint . Apparently Sprint has a hidden settings screen deep within the wifi options page that allows you to whitelist wifi networks that you don't want that application to manage. Its called "Unmanaged wifi networks" and its found in the Sprint Connection Optimizer app. Since Sololink wifi does not give you access to the internet, the Sprint application thinks that its an invalid Wifi network and disconnects you from it. What was happening was the Sprint application was making the decision to disconnect me from Solo wifi because it felt it was smarter than the user. Since that network did not provide access to the internet, it turns it off. I added my Solo wifi SSID to the list of networks it SHOULD NOT manage and it seems that my Wifi is stable now and remaining connected.

I apologize for my rant but you can see from my perspective I just happened to upgrade to a new device at the same time that an update to the Solo software was released. If I would have gotten a totally different device I would have suspected my device as being at fault a lot sooner. Anyway I want to thank Fredia Huya-Kouadio over on the Google Plus Solo beta page for leading me down this path.

Reactions: RichWest
I feel like a horses ass. I was certain that the latest problem I encountered was software related. Here's what the problem was...

I recently bought a new tablet, same one but LTE version. Its a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 LTE from Sprint . Apparently Sprint has a hidden settings screen deep within the wifi options page that allows you to whitelist wifi networks that you don't want that application to manage. Its called "Unmanaged wifi networks" and its found in the Sprint Connection Optimizer app. Since Sololink wifi does not give you access to the internet, the Sprint application thinks that its an invalid Wifi network and disconnects you from it. What was happening was the Sprint application was making the decision to disconnect me from Solo wifi because it felt it was smarter than the user. Since that network did not provide access to the internet, it turns it off. I added my Solo wifi SSID to the list of networks it SHOULD NOT manage and it seems that my Wifi is stable now and remaining connected.

I apologize for my rant but you can see from my perspective I just happened to upgrade to a new device at the same time that an update to the Solo software was released. If I would have gotten a totally different device I would have suspected my device as being at fault a lot sooner. Anyway I want to thank Fredia Huya-Kouadio over on the Google Plus Solo beta page for leading me down this path.
It's what I suspected as well..Glad you found it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44