Solo with NEO-M8N Module and 8.3mm Active Patch Antenna Test

Retired2fly

P13 is correct, 3DR is maintaining its own branch of Ardupilot. Most things are getting merged back into normal Ardupilot master, but it is different.

They have released all code as required, and are compliant with the GPLv3 in doing this.

For the original version of Solo firmware, the HDOP check was replaced with a thorough check, using the EKF and velocity checks. It was discovered however that in some cases, this could still allow some errors, so HDOP (which is actually PDOP) was brought back in.

https://github.com/3drobotics/ardupilot-solo/pull/28

I can assure you P13 does know what he is talking about.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Proficnc, like I told Lan [P13] I FULLY understand 3DR's branch of Ardupilot and what they have and have not included. I can assure when it comes to solo Lan[p13] does not know what he is "talking about". What neither of you understand is that every change in solo code published on github does NOT have to do with solo specifically as 3DR is developing the Pixhawk II for a separate release under the under a concurrent code base. Many changes shown in github under the solo Ardupilot tree are NOT directly related to solo at all.

Bottom line despite what you or Lan[P13] think the HDOP /PDOP check in solo was NEVER removed from any version of release solo firmware. The EKF and velocity checks you referenced were used to augment NOT replace the HDOP check so that solo could get in the air faster because 3DR's research showed the number one complaint with the Iris/Iris+ was the long waits for low HDOPs before the out of the box Iris+ configuration was allowed to fly. What those changes did not take into account is that the 3DR implementation of the performance of solo's GPS module using the NEO-7 u-blox 7 and GP.1575.25.4.A.02 Patch antenna would be flawed. Believe what you want but you are both wrong. As stated earlier I would be willing to discuss your assumptions with Chris or any lead member of the 3DR solo dev team.

Proficnc (Philip) is the lead developer of the Pixhawk 2 hardware. He's even posted you the pull request showing the code was removed before the Solo was released. Ergo, everything I've said is spot on.

Reactions: Jubalr
Proficnc (Philip) is the lead developer of the Pixhawk 2 hardware. He's even posted you the pull request showing the code was removed before the Solo was released. Ergo, everything I've said is spot on.
Yeh right.! So basically you are saying 3DR lied to its customer base from the beginning and again in its users manual, and then again when they designed the solo controller all of which reference or outright show HDOP from the beginning. If you are to be believed then Colin also lied in his solo flight school videos which reference HDOP If you both of you are confident then go post the nonsense you posted here over at DIYdrones. I guarantee at the very least you will get a response from Chris. If you by some small chance eith of you actually have anything to do with solo you already know you are fired as I guarantee he has seen this. Go ahead I triple dog dare ya:cool:.

I really do not understand what you are getting upset about here. HDOP (or PDOP) is a really useful bit of info, but it is retrospective. So the Devs have been looking at ways of detecting issues proactively. The new method is great! But checking DOP before takeoff catches the corner cases.

Checking DOP is smart...

Have a look through all the pull requests, it's all public.

Again, just trying to clarify Ian's statements here, I did not mean to upset you.

Yeh right.! So basically you are saying 3DR lied to its customer base from the beginning and again in its users manua

No, I'm saying you lied when you made this statement.

Retired2Fly said:
Also despite the popular believe here 3DR did nothing firmware-wise in their 1.05 firmware upgrade release other than change a few arducopter GPS related parameters to correct the initial GPS issues.

Instead of admit you're wholly incorrect and eating some humble pie, you've simply argued and threatened.

Again I don't work for 3DR so I look forward to my dismissal for pointing out misinformation being posted. I could have pointed out that there's an open bug with even using an M8N with Arducopter but I see little point in going into every detail.

Reactions: RichWest
I really do not understand what you are getting upset about here. HDOP (or PDOP) is a really useful bit of info, but it is retrospective. So the Devs have been looking at ways of detecting issues proactively. The new method is great! But checking DOP before takeoff catches the corner cases.

Checking DOP is smart...

Have a look through all the pull requests, it's all public.

Again, just trying to clarify Ian's statements here, I did not mean to upset you.

I am not upset. I am just putting the facts straight. Lan posted my statements were false and in fact the solo code (Linux and Pixhaqk II) never checked or even used DOP / PDOP / HDOP until the 1.05 update which is clearly WRONG. Be careful I endorsing and releasing code non 3DR as if Lan is correct and you are actually affiliated with 3DR development and you did indeed send him that prerelease code he posted you already know are in violation of your non-disclosure and you know what happens next. Anyway NONE of this has to do with this thread as my original post was about the defective 3DR GPS module and the OPs approach to fix 3DR's and NOT a coding issue. It was lan who stepped into the conversation with non-relevant bogus information calling me a liar and you subsequently endorsed. Hopefully for your sake he is wrong.

No, I'm saying you lied when you made this statement.

Instead of admit you're wholly incorrect and eating some humble pie, you've simply argued and threatened.

Again I don't work for 3DR so I look forward to my dismissal for pointing out misinformation being posted. I could have pointed out that there's an open bug with even using an M8N with Arducopter but I see little point in going into every detail.
No you are saying the entire 3DR solo team and management lied .Unless you think In single-handily designed the solo its controller and then somehow hypnotized all the early adptoers in to believing HDOP shown in the solo app and the manual were just for show. Like I originally stated you should not post things you clearly have no clue about.;)

I used GitHub as I've pointed out from the beginning, it's easy to do, it has the whole history of the code plus a compare. The GPS in the Solo isn't defective, it's just more misinformation on your behalf.

The facts are on GitHub, GitHub doesn't lie.

I used GitHub as I've pointed out from the beginning, it's easy to do, it has the whole history of the code plus a compare. The GPS in the Solo isn't defective, it's just more misinformation on your behalf.

The facts are on GitHub, GitHub doesn't lie.
So now you know hardware too? I never stated the GPS hardware was defective. In fact I stated the opposite. It is 3DR's implemention of the GPS components in solo that is defective. Like I said clueless. Plus learn how to use Github

No you are saying the entire 3DR solo team and management lied .Unless you think In single-handily designed the solo its controller and then somehow hypnotized all the early adptoers in to believing HDOP shown in the solo app and the manual were just for show. Like I originally stated you should not post things you clearly have no clue about.;)
HDOP (PDOP) isn't as important as you believe it to be, the developers have said that fixes amongst the changes are using sAcc (speed accuracy) from the ublox which is a much better indicator of GPS becoming unreliable.

HDOP is there on the Solo application on the basis it was historically there from Arducopter and on the ground stations.

You can try and put words in my mouth, but my posts talk about facts from GitHub with screenshots and links, unlike any of yours.

Either way, I'm excited to see how this project works out.
The way the Solo works now sucks Matzah Balls.

Also, I don't think the "issues" with the NEO-M8N are real, unless we can't believe what
Marco (robustini) has to say about it after testing it.

Reading around, he never went so far as to say 3DR made a mistake in choosing the 7N, but I think he knows where the bread on the table comes from.

(From Marco's entry at Github diydrones/ardupilot)

Where're this "M8N twitches"?
This gps must be configured properly to work well:
Marco

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Retired2Fly
HDOP (PDOP) isn't as important as you believe it to be, the developers have said that fixes amongst the changes are using sAcc (speed accuracy) from the ublox which is a much better indicator of GPS becoming unreliable.

HDOP is there on the Solo application on the basis it was historically there from Arducopter and on the ground stations.

You can try and put words in my mouth, but my posts talk about facts from GitHub with screenshots and links, unlike any of yours.
I did not put anything in your mouth ,You did all that on your own. The basic problem is you don't understand what you are reading on grithub let alone have an understanding of this discussion of 3DR's defective GPS implementation . Github does not have any reflection on 3DR's flawed implementation of their GPS module which is what this tread is about. If you are to be believed then changing the PDOP/HDOP parameter in the Pixhawk II is only there for nostalgia and is not actually used in ANY solo preflight check and has no effect on how the solo operates. Both are clearly false If what you are saying was is even remotely factual the github changes magically fixed all the GPS issues with solo and no GPS issue would still exists which is a fantasy on your part. Like I said clueless.

Either way, I'm excited to see how this project works out.
The way the Solo works now sucks Matzah Balls.

Also, I don't think the "issues" with the NEO-M8N are real, unless we can't believe what
Marco (robustini) has to say about it after testing it.

Reading around, he never went so far as to say 3DR made a mistake in choosing the 7N, but I think he knows where the bread on the table comes from.

(From Marco's entry at Github diydrones/ardupilot)

Where're this "M8N twitches"?
This gps must be configured properly to work well:
Marco

This explains a lot...

I understand perfectly well what I'm reading, the pull request is particularly clear as are the code changes putting the HDOP checks back into the code since. My posts have been specifically about your assertions only parameter changes were in the firmware, that is wrong, given you can't even admit you're wrong I'd recommend anyone treats anything you say as being misinformed either by lack of knowledge or deliberate intent to troll.

1.05 put in the HDOP check to the pre-arm (along with other changes), with it having been pulled before the Solo was released, 1.05 did not just make parameter changes as you stated.

2wrn2g6.jpg

Reactions: Mark Mesenko
So now you know hardware too? I never stated the GPS hardware was defective. In fact I stated the opposite. It is 3DR's implemention of the GPS components in solo that is defective. Like I said clueless. Plus learn how to use Github

18 months of development to this... One of the most important parts of the aircraft its not properly implemented... This should made people think before order a solo... Just saying.

From someone who's already posted misinformation about the code, yeah that's reliable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44