Solo with Hero 5/6 - No Gimbal - Image Stabilization

Reaction score
So, I pickup my 3rd Solo pretty cheap and don't want to mess with the 3dr Gimbal. I have a Hero 6 which I'm going to use it in the fixed position. I plan to use the new advanced image stabilization of the hero 6 and maybe some software to stabilize the video. I saw a video a while back where someone put a session in a cannon and use some sort of software that removed the spinning.

Any know of a image stabilizing software for MAC?

I'll post some video on Thursday.

So, I pickup my 3rd Solo pretty cheap and don't want to mess with the 3dr Gimbal. I have a Hero 6 which I'm going to use it in the fixed position. I plan to use the new advanced image stabilization of the hero 6 and maybe some software to stabilize the video. I saw a video a while back where someone put a session in a cannon and use some sort of software that removed the spinning.

Any know of a image stabilizing software for MAC?

I'll post some video on Thursday.
Hmmmmmm. I get strapping on a 6. Chances are with smooth careful piloting and the post you mentioned you will get decent results. Do you have anything in mind for FPV or will you just wing it?

Well, I was assuming the HDMI out on the Hero 6 would work but now I read it 1080 and the Solo uses 720. Is this correct?

I'm still playing about with my wife's Hero 6 and I'll try to post some clips. This week I got some GP4 vs GP6 low light clips I need to compile, but when the rain stops, I'll actually try putting it on the Solo and seeing what it's like with image stablization. I'm not expecting great results but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Strapping on a 6 takes lots of courage and confidence. But I bet there are huge rewards involved, too. Just relax and don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

:cool:

Hi, i am Edelweiss, just a newbie here. I had this 3dr solo but without gimbal. I had tried AEE Lyfe Silver with the solo and i believe it worked out fine. Just want to know if I can use all the features of the solex such as orbit or geofence even without camera? Thanks for your reply....

Well, I was assuming the HDMI out on the Hero 6 would work but now I read it 1080 and the Solo uses 720. Is this correct?
I really shouldn't be contributing to this thread as I have only have (limited) experience with gimble mounted H4S and B.

From my understanding the H5/6 uses the HDMI-C** interface so you will at least need to use a gender changing cable between the Solo and your H6. As to your 1080/720 concern. That deals with the HDMI (Mini) output on the Controller itself. I'll be watching for posts from the knowledgeable to hopefully learn myself.

**<CORRECTION> After watching the video showing how to connect the H6 to the Solo I realized that I was wrong in describing the interfaces. The H6 provides both the new USB-C (not HDMI as I eluded to) for charging and transferring files as well as the Micro-HDMI (video) port which is the same as the Solo connection cable. Sorry for any confusion I created.

Last edited:
The Hero 6 has a USB-C and Micro HDMI outport on the camera. I'll check it out tonight. I'm not familiar with HEMI-C interface, can you elaborate?

I really shouldn't be contributing to this thread as I have only have (limited) experience with gimble mounted H4S and B.

From my understanding the H5/6 uses the HEMI-C interface so you will at least need to use a gender changing cable between the Solo and your H6. As to your 1080/720 concern. That deals with the HDMI (Mini) output on the Controller itself. I'll be watching for posts from the knowledgeable to hopefully learn myself.

HDMI-C** (Google it) is the current version that will eventually replace the existing HEMI-MINI interface. It's a lot like the interface used by Apple as it plugs in either direction. It also has a much higher data carrying capacity. If the video output on the H6 is compatible with the Solo then I'm sure others here can suggest an appropriate gender changing cable that will plug into both the Solo and H6.

**,CORRECTION> I am completely WRONG describing the H6 interfaces! The H6 provides both the new USB-C (not HDMI I eluded to above) and a Micro-HDMI (video) output same as the Solo cable. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Last edited:
I found these two videos about using the Hero 6 with the Solo this afternoon

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I found these two videos about using the Hero 6 with the Solo this afternoon

Good fine. Looks like the stabilization does get rid of a lot of the judder, but still needs a gimbal. However for flying straight and level... I think the picture looks quite good.

So did get around to doing some low light tests with the GP4 vs the GP6. This was done @ 60fps, with low light turned on in 1080P (and the images have been cropped to remove any pitch black area's). These were both taken at 6:30am in the morning, both GoPro's were mounted beside each other in the front windscreen of the car. You can see that the GP6 really does do a better job in low light situations compared to the GP4. This really is just a quick comparison but I was pretty impressed with the pictures.

Attachments

• gp6b.JPG
    gp6b.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 46
  • gp4b.JPG
    gp4b.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 49
  • gp4a.JPG
    gp4a.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 41
  • gp6a.JPG
    gp6a.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 42
Well, I was able to the Hero 6 up and running and did a quick survey of my roof. Looks like Irma broke about 30 tiles. It was a bit windy when I took the video so I'll post a video once a have better conditions.

So I was bored and decided to power the Hero 6 via a usb-c cable. It works perfectly but I'm afraid to put a battery in camera as the gopro may pull to much current. The gimbal's yellow wire is 5v and rated at 1 amp. The Hero 6 is rated to use has much as 2 amps. Your thoughts?

VCC 5V should be used to power the camera (only). The camera must not draw more than 1A.

The VCC 5V supply is also used as the backup supply for the Pixhawk. While the current is not limited, if more than 1A is used the vehicle may fail when running on backup power.

My next project will to add a servo to tilt the camera (old school)

Hi guys! I am new to the 3DR community as I am waiting for my Solo to arrive. I am greatly interested in using the GoPro 6 on our Solos as well. My question is:

1. Does the 3DR oem gimbal housing fit the Hero 6? Or you can modify it a bit to fit?
2. Are the cables from the drone and gimbal able to connect to the Hero 6 for full control with the remote controller or smartphone?
3. Gimbal (unrelated to Hero 6) : Is it remote controllable to rotate and tilt at will from the drone remote controller or smartphone?
4. Lastly, where is a good site for me to learn more about the Solo before I go out and fly?
5. Oh, do I need to get a license before I fly? Is it free? Or I need to take classes?

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area. I am all excited and both confused as to what I should do and plan on getting/reading before my drone arrive.

Can't wait to share my experiences with you guys in the future ahead. :)

1. Does the 3DR oem gimbal housing fit the Hero 6?
Welcome to the drone forum but hey, this was two questions in one.. talk about trying to get value for money... anyway where the heck was I... oh yeah. No, the 3DR OEM Gimbal does not fit the Hero 6 or Hero 5. The sizes, dimensions and interface on the gimbal means there's no way to fit one in. The Gimbal accommodates the Hero 3 and Hero 4.

Or you can modify it a bit to fit?
Well you could always get some duct tape, glue and string and stick another camera in there.... I mean.. you can actually modify anything... put a brick in there if you want... however would it work and give you the same control as using the proper camera? in word "No". It's an unfortunate situation but it's how it goes.

2. Are the cables from the drone and gimbal able to connect to the Hero 6 for full control with the remote controller or smartphone?

No. You could take the gimbal out, put in the stock holder (which is just a basic gopro attachment holder) and stick the GP6 on there. The only thing you'd get though is video feed, you'd have no other control over the camera whatsoever. The stabilization works well enough on the GP6 however as soon as you move from side to side you'll see some crazy tilting action. Technically if you set the angle right and only fly in straight lines backwards and forwards, you can still use the GP6 for some basic camera action. However you also lose the ability to do smart shots. If you want full control of your camera and to experience the awesome things the Solo can do, you'll need a GP Hero 4 black. Trust me, it's a worthy investment.

3. Gimbal (unrelated to Hero 6) : Is it remote controllable to rotate and tilt at will from the drone remote controller or smartphone?
Rotate, no. The gimbal faces forwards at all times, the drone is rotated for movement, However the tilt option is controllable from the controller. You can also program presets into the controller such as maximum/minimum tilt and the amount of time it takes to switch between the two of them.

4. Lastly, where is a good site for me to learn more about the Solo before I go out and fly?
Actually this site/forum right here is pretty good for tips and tricks. Also check out "The Basic Pilot" on you tube, he's got some instructional video's up there. Also read the manual! It's got some good advice and is worth the read (such as how to shut down the motors in an emergency).

5. Oh, do I need to get a license before I fly? Is it free? Or I need to take classes?
You need to register your drone before you fly, that's $5. If you want to sell any of your footage or use it for commercial purposes, you'll need a Part 107 commercial license, that involves taking a test and shelling out $150 and that's good for 2 years. Classes? That's up to you, but a lot of people here tend to buy a cheapo $30 foam drone fly those about and get used to how a drone handles. Those drones are cheap, lightweight, get blown about by the wind a lot and have no GPS. If you can fly one of those and get good at it, then you'll be able to handle the 3DR solo at it's very worst (windy day and lost GPS). The only difference being that when a foam drone falls out of the sky, it bounces off the ground and is ready to fly. If the solo falls out of the sky, it smashes on the ground, can do a lot of damage and take someone's eyeball out.

All in all, have fun flying, enjoy it, but also fly responsibly, obey the laws, and learn what you can and cannot do. Remember, ignorance is not an excuse!

Post pictures and video's of your flights here and any questions you have, feel free to ask!

1. Does the 3DR oem gimbal housing fit the Hero 6?
Welcome to the drone forum but hey, this was two questions in one.. talk about trying to get value for money... anyway where the heck was I... oh yeah. No, the 3DR OEM Gimbal does not fit the Hero 6 or Hero 5. The sizes, dimensions and interface on the gimbal means there's no way to fit one in. The Gimbal accommodates the Hero 3 and Hero 4.

Or you can modify it a bit to fit?
Well you could always get some duct tape, glue and string and stick another camera in there.... I mean.. you can actually modify anything... put a brick in there if you want... however would it work and give you the same control as using the proper camera? in word "No". It's an unfortunate situation but it's how it goes.

No. You could take the gimbal out, put in the stock holder (which is just a basic gopro attachment holder) and stick the GP6 on there. The only thing you'd get though is video feed, you'd have no other control over the camera whatsoever. The stabilization works well enough on the GP6 however as soon as you move from side to side you'll see some crazy tilting action. Technically if you set the angle right and only fly in straight lines backwards and forwards, you can still use the GP6 for some basic camera action. However you also lose the ability to do smart shots. If you want full control of your camera and to experience the awesome things the Solo can do, you'll need a GP Hero 4 black. Trust me, it's a worthy investment.

Rotate, no. The gimbal faces forwards at all times, the drone is rotated for movement, However the tilt option is controllable from the controller. You can also program presets into the controller such as maximum/minimum tilt and the amount of time it takes to switch between the two of them.

Actually this site/forum right here is pretty good for tips and tricks. Also check out "The Basic Pilot" on you tube, he's got some instructional video's up there. Also read the manual! It's got some good advice and is worth the read (such as how to shut down the motors in an emergency).

You need to register your drone before you fly, that's $5. If you want to sell any of your footage or use it for commercial purposes, you'll need a Part 107 commercial license, that involves taking a test and shelling out $150 and that's good for 2 years. Classes? That's up to you, but a lot of people here tend to buy a cheapo $30 foam drone fly those about and get used to how a drone handles. Those drones are cheap, lightweight, get blown about by the wind a lot and have no GPS. If you can fly one of those and get good at it, then you'll be able to handle the 3DR solo at it's very worst (windy day and lost GPS). The only difference being that when a foam drone falls out of the sky, it bounces off the ground and is ready to fly. If the solo falls out of the sky, it smashes on the ground, can do a lot of damage and take someone's eyeball out.

All in all, have fun flying, enjoy it, but also fly responsibly, obey the laws, and learn what you can and cannot do. Remember, ignorance is not an excuse!

Post pictures and video's of your flights here and any questions you have, feel free to ask!
Hey Irishman! How was your St Patricks's day celebration?[emoji1]

Thank you for taking your time to answer all my questions! I've done a few reading on here as well as a few others on the web.

Yes, your right that going with the Hero 4 is a best option being that you could control the shooting.

I found something online called a custom Rib Cage Air for the Hero 4. Is that a necessary upgrade or I can do without? Do we really need the added benefits of having changeable lenses? The GP H4 OEM lens is good quality too, non?

Where do I register my drone? I'm thinking it should be at Faa's website, yes?

Alright, let me get started on reading the Solo manual. Ttyl!

Hey Irishman! How was your St Patricks's day celebration?
I'm still waiting on someone to tell me......

I found something online called a custom Rib Cage Air for the Hero 4. Is that a necessary upgrade or I can do without?
Necessary, no! Nice to have, yes!. Basically it will allow you to changes lenses on your GoPro. However it is a bit costly.

Do we really need the added benefits of having changeable lenses?
Frankly I'd just pick up a 2nd GP4 Hero black with a 3.97mm lens. It will remove the "fisheye" effect of the camera and give you a distortion free view. You'll also have to have the pink corners removed once you do this. Look it up on the forum, there's lots of good advice about different lenses etc.

The GP H4 OEM lens is good quality too, non?
Good quality for a fisheye lens, but if you really want to do some serious video, you'll want to change it out. Otherwise your looking as using a lot of correction and cropping post production.

Aye that's right!

Hey Irishman! How was your St Patricks's day celebration?
I'm still waiting on someone to tell me......

I found something online called a custom Rib Cage Air for the Hero 4. Is that a necessary upgrade or I can do without?
Necessary, no! Nice to have, yes!. Basically it will allow you to changes lenses on your GoPro. However it is a bit costly.

Do we really need the added benefits of having changeable lenses?
Frankly I'd just pick up a 2nd GP4 Hero black with a 3.97mm lens. It will remove the "fisheye" effect of the camera and give you a distortion free view. You'll also have to have the pink corners removed once you do this. Look it up on the forum, there's lots of good advice about different lenses etc.

The GP H4 OEM lens is good quality too, non?
Good quality for a fisheye lens, but if you really want to do some serious video, you'll want to change it out. Otherwise your looking as using a lot of correction and cropping post production.

Aye that's right!
Yes, the Ribcage really is costly and also having to buy additional lenses! Lol

I've got the GP Hero4 Black with LCD bacpac, battery bacpac, Smart remote, dive housing, etc.

Do you need to include the serial number of your drone when registering it at FAA? It was listed as "optional" or "if appropriate", if I remember correctly.

Btw, I noticed a few things people do to the Solo. Greencube, GPS modules, Arducopter, etc. Do I really need those to fly my drone safely? If yes, I'm not flying until I get all those set up.

Do you need to include the serial number of your drone when registering it at FAA?
The FAA website will tell you exactly what you need, always go there to see what you need, don't rely on other people's information as they could be mistaken or policies could have changed.

Btw, I noticed a few things people do to the Solo. Greencube, GPS modules, Arducopter, etc. Do I really need those to fly my drone safely? If yes, I'm not flying until I get all those set up.
It depends on your drone and your location. For instance if your drone has a Rev A gps board and you live in a built up area with a poor GPS signal, then yes, you would need to upgrade your GPS board. You would only need the greencube if you wanted to take off from a boat. Get used to flying your drone and learn it's up's and downs before considering any upgrades.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl