Solo with Gimbal $599 from 3DR

Reaction score
I just noticed that the Solo/Gimbal bundle is $599 straight from 3DR this weekend. I bought mine about a month ago from 3DR and it has the Rev B GPS so this is probably a good way to make sure you get one that hasn't been in a warehouse for 6 months. Looks like I might have to buy a spare!

Considering the manufacture date of the Rev B board is last August, I'd say it's still been sitting around for at least 6 months...

Just because the one you got has a newer gps board doesn't mean the rest of it wasn't from the original run. They've only made one batch of solos. Everything they are selling now, with the exception of the Rev B board, was manufactured in China early to mid 2015.

The one I bought from BB didn't even have leg extenders in the box, so it was packaged a long time ago. 3DR sent me a set on their dime so that's cool. The motors on this one are much quieter than my original. I'm not sure if that's just because it's new.

When the time comes I have an M8N and WiFi cards waiting on the side for it anyway so don't much care about the GPS board. Just want everything functional out of the box. But yes, If a rev B board is important to a potential buyer it would make sense to buy from 3DR since they're doing the $599 deal.

Also someone posted this deal on the FB page. Comes with extra GoPro gear: 3D Robotics Solo Quadcopter

wow this crowd is tough.
You just piked up a solo for 599.00 and now we are going to debate new old?

Got my second solo from BB.
No leg extenders, (ordered on amazon 13 bucks)
Original GPS (has yet to take more than two minutes to lock)

Heck of a deal, no matter what version you get.
I have the REV B on my solo 1 because mine broke and 3DR replaced it under warranty.
But it does not make my new one crap.

I don't think a Rev B will actually work or perform any better than a working Rev A. I think most of the original initial GPS lock issues were with improperly installed shielding during manufacture. That, and it's not secured. If you land hard or crash there is a chance it could move around and then cause an issue, even during shipping. Or go the other way and clear one up lol.

I've never had an issue with my stock GPS.

mine was fine until the battery started falling off
then was getting intermittent loss in flight
worked the service process and they replaced it under warranty
the new solo I just got locks just as well as the rev B, maybe a slightly higher hdop but not bad

I ordered a Solo on July 4 from 3DR, but haven't received a notice of shipment yet. Anyone get one yet? Assumed they are backlogged, but would be nice to know. Website says they ship orders within 2 days.

Edit: I found the answer: Everyone has the old GPS shield, regardless of which version GPS board you have.

Mine also did not ship. What I am not clear on, should we order she shield with it or not? From what I read sounds like no matter what version of GPS board you have, the shield is a good idea.

Anyone know if any of the currently manufactured Solo's have the new shield?

Last edited:
Just got a shipment notification from 3DR in my email, hoo hoo!. (might have been in response to the support query I made or just timing..) I'm hoping this one will have the GPS version B board. I had trouble with my first solo, seems like it would take a long time to get a GPS lock and it has been hit or miss since. It hasn't had any other issues. I'm happy with the flight time I've had on it so far. I added a spacer under the shielding and it seemed to help a bit, but I also ordered the new 3DR EMI shield for it. I couldn't pass up the price on this July 4 deal. Can't have too many drones.

Just received my new Solo today. I checked the GPS board, it is still version A (green) and has the old shield. I ordered another one of the new EMI shields for it. Hopefully there won't be GPS issues like I had with my first bird. I was hoping I would get one with the version B board, but no luck there. I will test fly after I get the gimbal installed and post an update regards to GPS operation. I can't argue the price on it. If 3DR is now out of consumer drone business and is relying on partners (like GoPro) to pick up that area, at least I've got enough spares to fly for quite a while. There may not be another version of Solo, competition being what it is.

To bad, again no discounts in Europe. I'd love to get a second one at these low prices, but to us it's still about €1300 for a Solo with gimbal (and last time I checked, € > $).
3DR are even blocking any direct US sales to European countries. Tried at B&H, but they would not let me buy one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M