Solo WiFi And GPS Mod suggestions

Reaction score
Website
www.cumulusimaging.com
Greetings,

I own several Solos and have done nothing on upgrades to extend the WiFi and get better GPS connect times. I recently purchased a DJI Spark and love to fly it because of the distance it goes. My heart is with my Solo's and would like to hear suggestions on what upgrades work to improve the WiFi distance and better GPS connections. Thanks

I have the Alfa antennae and the MicroTik card upgrades for both controller and bird. Routinely get 2.5k ft, have been out to 3.5k ft.

Have a Rev.B GPS and the EMI absorber shield from 3DR

Reactions: MarcAlonzo
If you would kindly do a search for those two brand names on this site, you'll find them.

YouTube video on the Microtic install. You will need to google it to find a current dealer and pricing.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And the FPVLR antenna that I use:
3DR SOLO FPVLR BASIC KIT FREE SHIPPING

Greetings,

I own several Solos and have done nothing on upgrades to extend the WiFi and get better GPS connect times. I recently purchased a DJI Spark and love to fly it because of the distance it goes. My heart is with my Solo's and would like to hear suggestions on what upgrades work to improve the WiFi distance and better GPS connections. Thanks

Definitely dump the stock GPS card and go with an M8N version. If you want to go cheap, you can install a BN-800 GPS for less than $20, but it takes just a little bit of modding. I have two with the BN-800 installed. If you are willing to invest $80-$90, the mRo M8N GPS is pretty much plug-and-play. You can also install a Here M8N GPS, which is available in a kit that's been adapted for the Solo. The Here also has a compass which you can use in place of the leg compass that comes stock. There are plenty of videos on line that describe these mods. As for wifi, the stock Solo is rather limited in distance. I don't have a wifi card upgrade, but should probably look into it. I've been surprised once or twice when my Solo kicked into RTH due to lost signal. Like you, I have a Mavic and appreciate the long reach, but I do really enjoy flying my Solos. Oh, and the Alfa antennas are a very inexpensive way of getting a better signal.

I have the Mikrotik WiFi card installed in my controller, and also have a second one to go in the Solo when I can find the time to tear the Solo apart and install it. With just the MikroTik card in the controller, and with two Alfa antenna's, I have reached 5800' in an area with no WiFi congestion. I can only imagine I will get more distance once I've installed the MikroTik WiFi card in the Solo. I do have an FPVLR v2 for Solo on backorder... can only imagine what max distance will be with both Solo and Controller WiFi cards upgraded and with the FPVLR v2 antenna setup.

Definitely dump the stock GPS card and go with an M8N version. If you want to go cheap, you can install a BN-800 GPS for less than $20, but it takes just a little bit of modding. I have two with the BN-800 installed. If you are willing to invest $80-$90, the mRo M8N GPS is pretty much plug-and-play. You can also install a Here M8N GPS, which is available in a kit that's been adapted for the Solo. The Here also has a compass which you can use in place of the leg compass that comes stock. There are plenty of videos on line that describe these mods. As for wifi, the stock Solo is rather limited in distance. I don't have a wifi card upgrade, but should probably look into it. I've been surprised once or twice when my Solo kicked into RTH due to lost signal. Like you, I have a Mavic and appreciate the long reach, but I do really enjoy flying my Solos. Oh, and the Alfa antennas are a very inexpensive way of getting a better signal.

I've been wanting to get the 'Here' GPS upgrade. My Solo is completely stock. My Drone has been drifting alittle more lately and sometimes loses GPS so I really want the upgrade. Do you have to upgrade anything in the firmware? I noticed Jester used Mission Planner to reset the Compass or GPS. Do you have to use Mission Planner. In Solo settings I can calibrate my compass. Would that work instead of using Mission Planner? I just haven't had success connecting to MP and saw the lack of success others have had so it scared me away.

I've been wanting to get the 'Here' GPS upgrade. My Solo is completely stock. My Drone has been drifting alittle more lately and sometimes loses GPS so I really want the upgrade. Do you have to upgrade anything in the firmware? I noticed Jester used Mission Planner to reset the Compass or GPS. Do you have to use Mission Planner. In Solo settings I can calibrate my compass. Would that work instead of using Mission Planner? I just haven't had success connecting to MP and saw the lack of success others have had so it scared me away.

The BN-800, the mRo, and the Here GPS' should all work without tweaking once installed. You do need to change a parameter setting in Mission Planner to recognize the external compass on the Here. But you don't have to connect the Here compass if you prefer not to, and stick with the existing leg compass. For simplicity, the mRo is easiest to install (most expensive). For cost, BN-800 is cheap, but needs a little modding (wire harness) to connect. The Here is a great GPS/compass package, although you will have to change a setting with Mission Planner for the compass and drill holes in the cowl to bolt on the Here externally. I have all three and like them all.

The BN-800, the mRo, and the Here GPS' should all work without tweaking once installed. You do need to change a parameter setting in Mission Planner to recognize the external compass on the Here. But you don't have to connect the Here compass if you prefer not to, and stick with the existing leg compass. For simplicity, the mRo is easiest to install (most expensive). For cost, BN-800 is cheap, but needs a little modding (wire harness) to connect. The Here is a great GPS/compass package, although you will have to change a setting with Mission Planner for the compass and drill holes in the cowl to bolt on the Here externally. I have all three and like them all.

Which do you think is the best personally of the 3? I agree the mRo does look the easiest but wondering how it compares to the Here.

Which do you think is the best personally of the 3? I agree the mRo does look the easiest but wondering how it compares to the Here.

Functionally, they are all pretty much the same. I just flew a Solo today with the BN-800 and it had 14 satellites in less than 50 seconds. But the other two are of equal capability. The mRo and (I believe) the Here use Tao Glass antennas, which reportedly are exceptional quality. From my use, they are all great. If money is not an issue, I would suggest the mRo, simply because it is the easiest installation, truly plug-and-play. Although it is the most expensive of the three by a few dollars. If you want the built-in compass, then you're looking at the Here.

Functionally, they are all pretty much the same. I just flew a Solo today with the BN-800 and it had 14 satellites in less than 50 seconds. But the other two are of equal capability. The mRo and (I believe) the Here use Tao Glass antennas, which reportedly are exceptional quality. From my use, they are all great. If money is not an issue, I would suggest the mRo, simply because it is the easiest installation, truly plug-and-play. Although it is the most expensive of the three by a few dollars. If you want the built-in compass, then you're looking at the Here.
Does the compass reduce magnetic interference?

Do yourself a favor and buy nice gear.
The Wifi cards are not a silver bullet and have taken down a few solos
the Here GPS is not going to be out performed and is less than 50 bucks

Great Advise... Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig