Solo w gimbal, 8 prop and 2 batteries. new lower price point of $499

Wait...what? Unavailable?

I've been away from the forum for a week or two...but what did I miss? $499 bundles....B&H not carrying Solo? WTF is going on??
You havn't posted for nearly 2 months. A lot of water has gone under the bridge in that time! Every day, a new revelation.

You havn't posted for nearly 2 months. A lot of water has gone under the bridge in that time! Every day, a new revelation.

Yes, but I've been here reading and keeping updated until about two weeks ago. So....someone fill me in. What's going on?

FYI, I updated Solo to the newest software this past weekend and had one of the quickest GPS locks and smoothest flights I've ever had, so I was feeling so good and positive about it, until reading some of this lol.

Interesting, on BHPhoto, they show solo as "discontinued" in several places instead of "more coming soon" or "unavailable"

Interesting, on BHPhoto, they show solo as "discontinued" in several places instead of "more coming soon" or "unavailable"
B&H had a booth at the show last week. They had a Solo on display along with several others. I walked up to one of the reps and said 'So, still have Solos?' She replied with a moaning tone," Yes, unfortunately. But probably not for long".

B&H had a booth at the show last week. They had a Solo on display along with several others. I walked up to one of the reps and said 'So, still have Solos?' She replied with a moaning tone," Yes, unfortunately. But probably not for long".
I wonder what that 'unfortunately' remark is about; perhaps a high rate of returns due to first-time drone users coupled with 3DR's generous guarantee. Since the latest and current affordable price point I have been seeing a lot of firsts posts here from folks who can't get them 'running', some on their 3rd Solo within the first 30 days.

I don't care how 'smart' these things claim to be, you still have to have a little technical savvy and be able to read and understand the manual... yes, there's a manual... :cool:

I don't care how 'smart' these things claim to be, you still have to have a little technical savvy and be able to read and understand the manual... yes, there's a manual... :cool:
Do you not remember what the mascot was, a baboon......but I think they were females depicted....so they were above average for a baboon....;)

I'm still confused. So are they discontinuing the Solo??

I've searched but I can't find any answer.

Ya want it sugarcoated, or...

If you take a moment to read the many, many (many) posts on this forum you'll get the whole meal deal.

In a nutshell
  1. 3DR is broke or are doing what they can to achieve that goal
  2. Customer Service has cut back and is severely lacking.in... Customer Service
  3. No parts will be available - gimbals already are not
  4. 3DR is only going to support the enterprise customer - until they're completely broke (see # 1)
  5. There will be no more SW or FW updates and what is out there already, is full of bugs
  6. All 3DR Solos will fall from the sky as the clock strikes the turn of the century

Ya want it sugarcoated, or...

If you take a moment to read the many, many (many) posts on this forum you'll get the whole meal deal.

In a nutshell
  1. 3DR is broke or are doing what they can to achieve that goal
  2. Customer Service has cut back and is severely lacking.in... Customer Service
  3. No parts will be available - gimbals already are not
  4. 3DR is only going to support the enterprise customer - until they're completely broke (see # 1)
  5. There will be no more SW or FW updates and what is out there already, is full of bugs
  6. All 3DR Solos will fall from the sky as the clock strikes the turn of the century

I can't tell if you're serious about some of these or not. But if you are....damn. :(

Reactions: Crisp Rice
I can't tell if you're serious about some of these or not. But if you are....damn. :(
Just go fly and enjoy your bird and don't worry about it. I have 4 of the darn things - all purchased since the price cuts and Internet scuttlebutt.

Reactions: bluesgeek
I have a few as well. They mostly do what they are supposed to and flying them makes me happy. The history of drones in the last few years has taught us that technology outpaces the current design at a rather quick rate. I didn't expect Solo to last more than a few years at the high end of the market. I don't expect any other drone to either. DJI has a new model every year and as soon as it's released there are several Chinese clones. Is solo obsolete? Not yet but support may get questionable(or more questionable) from here out and parts harder to find. Just have fun with it and know that next year whatever will be available will be better with more bells and whistles. Keep in mind when you buy that one that the same thing will likely happen all over again a year or two later. It is what it is. You can't stop progress.

Just go fly and enjoy your bird and don't worry about it. I have 4 of the darn things - all purchased since the price cuts and Internet scuttlebutt.

I do fly it, and I do enjoy it quite a bit. But the prospect of it becoming useless if, let's say, a motor pod dies and I can't get a replacement any more....is a little unsettling.

Honestly, if they said today that all Solo distribution is ending, including the sale of replacement parts, I'd rather just sell it and... <gulp>.... get a P4 or wait for the holiday season to see what new stuff comes out.

And for the record, I have been a HUGE support of Solo and 3DR from the months before Solo was even available. It's just a bit sad because I really like the Solo, I enjoy flying it, and I stood behind the company for a long time. But if it's going away, I'd rather just move on now by my own choice, rather then when I have a useless drone that I can't buy parts for.

I do fly it, and I do enjoy it quite a bit. But the prospect of it becoming useless if, let's say, a motor pod dies and I can't get a replacement any more....is a little unsettling.

Honestly, if they said today that all Solo distribution is ending, including the sale of replacement parts, I'd rather just sell it and... <gulp>.... get a P4 or wait for the holiday season to see what new stuff comes out.... But if it's going away, I'd rather just move on now by my own choice, rather then when I have a useless drone that I can't buy parts for.
Third party motors and props themselves are available. My solution was to simply buy a couple of extra flying parts-bins.

Selling your Solo today, used, will reap you about... well, not too much!

I share your concern, but I look at it like my DSLRs - they're worth so little used that it's just not worth selling them. I'd be lucky to get $200 for my Canon 20D or 5D, and with that $200, I could maybe buy a low end point and shoot. What can you get for a used Solo at this point? $300? You can't hardly buy a bind-and-fly 250 racer for that. So if my Solo gets grounded 1 or 2 years from now, I have that long to get $300 worth of use out of it, which isn't hard to do.

Does it suck? Sure, that's the risk betting on the new company. A year ago, and I think still, they had the better platform. Hindsight is always 20/20, so it's pointless second guessing our choice now.

As far as motor pods, as long as 3DR is using the Solo to serve the enterprise market, they'll keep making them. Still time to pick up a few spares.

Also, don't think you'd be in a much different position if you chose a Phantom 3 last year - the Phantom 4 is now out, the 5 is just around the corner, resale on the 3's and 4's are probably in the same ballpark as the Solo. And DJI isn't going to make replacement parts forever - they want you to buy a whole new bird this year, and next, and the year after that.

I share your concern, but I look at it like my DSLRs - they're worth so little used that it's just not worth selling them. I'd be lucky to get $200 for my Canon 20D or 5D, and with that $200, I could maybe buy a low end point and shoot. What can you get for a used Solo at this point? $300? You can't hardly buy a bind-and-fly 250 racer for that. So if my Solo gets grounded 1 or 2 years from now, I have that long to get $300 worth of use out of it, which isn't hard to do.

Does it suck? Sure, that's the risk betting on the new company. A year ago, and I think still, they had the better platform. Hindsight is always 20/20, so it's pointless second guessing our choice now.

As far as motor pods, as long as 3DR is using the Solo to serve the enterprise market, they'll keep making them. Still time to pick up a few spares.

Also, don't think you'd be in a much different position if you chose a Phantom 3 last year - the Phantom 4 is now out, the 5 is just around the corner, resale on the 3's and 4's are probably in the same ballpark as the Solo. And DJI isn't going to make replacement parts forever - they want you to buy a whole new bird this year, and next, and the year after that.

I agree with all your points, but it's not really resale value I'm concerned with. I'm more concerned with at least getting more than 1 year's worth of use out of it. In reality, I've probably flown a grand total of 15 hours....in little 15-30 minute spurts here and there. So really, that's not a lot of use.

And FYI, I just sold my 5 year old Canon 5D MKII for over $1000, just about 50% of it's new value over 5 years ago. My 1 year anniversary with Solo just passed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44