Solo Still Photography camera?

He
Is there any news on when a camera is coming out thatll take better photos than the gopro?

I mean these images are just horrible. I can't use them for anything other than IG sometimes.

Or any suggestions to get the best quality image out of a gopro?
Tips for go pro black 4 stills- keep your iso high( 100-200 for bright daylight) this will increase your shutter speed to max 60 frames per second, resulting in super crisp stills, keep your solo very still and to the lowest speed, i recommend to use auto pilot rather then manual. Keeping solo as still as possible before taking the shot will fully stabilize the gimbal and allow go pro to take perfect exposer, hope this helps my friend.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Tips for go pro black 4 stills- keep your iso high( 100-200 for bright daylight)....

Hey, you already lost me here: "100-200 iso" is not high. 3200 or 6400 is high. You are right however in saying that's what you would use for bright daylight. The theory is also correct - you make the sensor more sensitive by cracking up the ISO, using stabilizer and higher frame rate to capture the sharpest image possible.

Maybe you meant to imply "however on bright days just keep it to a low 100-200 ISO" otherwise your pictures will be blown out/over exposed?

Before I purchased my Solo I had never even held a GoPro. Accordingly, when I saw that very small camera I had my doubts about the quality of the video and pictures. No more doubts now. I have been astounded by the high quality, so I am surprised by the original post above. I agree with the other comments about changing out the lens and using Protune. And this comes from a guy who has been using a high end DSLR, shooting RAW, for many years. Finally, I hear GoPro is coming out with a new camera this fall. I couldn't be happier.

Hey guys. I've played around with my GoPro and lenses. Coming up with some great footage that I have been able to sell. If you're interested check out my Instagram 'Inflight Imagery'. I agree a more advanced camera would be ace, but the old GoPro still does alright

If the Hero 5 shoots RAW and you can swap out the lens for a flat lens, that would be very good. Would it require a new gimbal? Ive read the housing is quite different. There is a leaked video from the android app GoPro mistakenly included with an app update.
Still it would be stepping things up a notch to be able to control aperture and all the other settings with a mirrorless equivalent camera. I was initially quite disappointed with the raw images on my P3 but soon learned the DNG files could be worked pretty well in port to get better final results. Go pro I've found is quite good for JPG, but still do not like the fisheye.

Does anyone have any experience with the modified "PeauPro" advertised here? I'm thinking of getting one that has a non fisheye lens (and a ND filter). I know it could be a totally different thread but in a way somewhat related to the topic as far as improving your photographic shots with the GoPro.

I'm no camera guru by no means. But I had my GP4 Silver modified w/Peau's 3.97. I also have stock GP4 Black. I prefer the Silver w/my Solo's. Also the guys @Peau Productions are true professionals that know their stuff about GP. Check out their site if you haven't already. Ask them questions. They will respond :)

Reactions: Travelfox
The main thing missing here in my opinion is a way to mount a standard 1/4" camera on the vibration isolated gimbal mount. - there are plenty of small micro 4/3rd cameras with HDMI feed including the Panasonic G7 - if I could just figure out a way to mount the darn thing without duck tape ha!

I actually have a G7...it's on the heavy side for a micro-four-thirds camera...probably too heavy for a Solo (I'd suggest a GM1 or GM5)...and, sadly, there is no live HDMI video feed:

HDMI output on the G7: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

--

Bill

I'm no camera guru by no means. But I had my GP4 Silver modified w/Peau's 3.97. I also have stock GP4 Black. I prefer the Silver w/my Solo's. Also the guys @Peau Productions are true professionals that know their stuff about GP. Check out their site if you haven't already. Ask them questions. They will respond :)

Keith,

Just curious...why do you prefer the silver over the black?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Is there any news on when a camera is coming out thatll take better photos than the gopro? I mean these images are just horrible. I can't use them for anything other than IG sometimes. Or any suggestions to get the best quality image out of a gopro?

I agree with this...it's just a fact...a larger sensor, WILL, take a better photograph than a smaller sensor (all else being equal). Yes, there are other variables, but there is no way around this fact.

It's good to know some pros successfully use the stills and videos from a GoPro for their productions, but there IS a reason photographers/videographers use cameras with larger sensors and higher quality lenses.

That said, if the GoPro's image quality suits a particular person (and/or their customer), then by all means, use it.

--

Bill

Hey Keith... Same question as Bill. Is it the screen?

Hey guys. I've played around with my GoPro and lenses. Coming up with some great footage that I have been able to sell. If you're interested check out my Instagram 'Inflight Imagery'. I agree a more advanced camera would be ace, but the old GoPro still does alright

BEAUTIFUL images. Wow...very very nice. I'm following!

And an excellent example that great images are NOT about the camera, but about the person using it. Great images are about light, composition, and subject.

(That said, to others reading this post, a better camera/lens WILL take a better image (color accuracy / contrast / dynamic range / low noise / sharpness)...the question, again, is can the end user (or their customer) tell the difference, and even if they can, do they care?)

--

Bill

Does anyone have any experience with the modified "PeauPro" advertised here? I'm thinking of getting one that has a non fisheye lens (and a ND filter). I know it could be a totally different thread but in a way somewhat related to the topic as far as improving your photographic shots with the GoPro.

Travelfox...

I've heard very good things about Peau...for what it's worth, Colin Guinn (the 3DR guy we all see on the Solo videos of course) uses the 3.97 lens on his GoPro.

--

Bill

I had the GP4 HERO Silver before I got my first Solo. After reading a lot of reviews, getting information here, and talking w/James @Peau Productions, the 3.97 lens mod was the right thing IMO. The lens also upgrades photos from the stock 12mp to 16mp. And of course no fish eye

I had the GP4 HERO Silver before I got my first Solo. After reading a lot of reviews, getting information here, and talking w/James @Peau Productions, the 3.97 lens mod was the right thing IMO. The lens also upgrades photos from the stock 12mp to 16mp. And of course no fish eye

Keith...the 3.97 is a "16mp lens", but what that means, in theory (I don't know who "rates" lenses this way or how they do it...might just be an advertising claim?), is that the lens is good enough to resolve UP TO 16mp worth of sensor resolution...the sensor is still 12mp...so the images from the GoPro are still 12mp.

But yes, the really nice thing is the elimination of fisheye.

12mp to 16mp is a "optical" thing?
I thought is was to do with the sensor "Hardware" thing"

12mp to 16mp is a "optical" thing?
I thought is was to do with the sensor "Hardware" thing"

Yes, 12 to 16, in this case, is an optical thing. The sensor stays the same at 12mp.

--

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado