Solo Range

Reaction score
Im sure there is another discussion somewhere in the forum regarding range, but could not find anything on the first few tabs.

New to flying drones, what kind of range should I expect? I have lost connections a couple times and the Solo decided to head home and guessing it may have been out of range?

One time I probably cut the signal by going around my home and the Solo could not see it? A second time I was probably about 400' away and it decided to come back home again.

Are there any type of signal boosters I can purchase?

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
Return to home is usually a good indication of running out of range.

Distance depends on skill, conditions and line of site. I commonly fly mine out 3000 to 4000 feet. Some guys struggle to get past 700'. 2 miles is supposedly possible but I think you would need dry air and flying off a high point.

Swapping antennas to a DBS mods stealth panel or FPVLR is your best way to increase range. The solo is rated at .5 miles from 3DR.

Return to home is usually a good indication of running out of range.

Distance depends on skill, conditions and line of site. I commonly fly mine out 3000 to 4000 feet. Some guys struggle to get past 700'. 2 miles is supposedly possible but I think you would need dry air and flying off a high point.

Swapping antennas to a DBS mods stealth panel or FPVLR is your best way to increase range. The solo is rated at .5 miles from 3DR.
I would add that there are default altitude and distance limits set by 3DR in the Solo. If you reach those you will also RTH (verified altitude limit RTH today). You can change these, though you will need the 3DR "Tower" application to change some values such as the GEO fence distance and enable. Unless you fly where it is very flat without obstructions, you should also look closely (and change) the RTH altitude while in there. There are several good instructions on this site.

Last edited:
Not universally, but both of these will work. You will need to rig a bracket for the DBMod (or call specifically to have one made with order).

Haven't tried the DBS unit yet. FPVLR works well.

Thank you both for the feedback. Ill give these a shot and give you the feedback.

Hi,

I was experiencing some RTH problems as well. So I stole my aftermarket antenna's off my wireless access point and gave those a try. Now I'm going 1500' away 400' up, and that's when I chicken out and bring it back lol. With the stock antenna's I couldn't get higher than 250' even with the limit set to 400'. I never really tested range since it was having trouble simply going up. I did move the antenna and that helped some, but I wasn't getting nearly the range I expected. The stock controller antennas are now on my access point lol.

I live in NH out in the woods, so lots of trees around and I can still get pretty far away. The antenna's I have are about $8 each with Prime shipping, worth the money IMHO.

Here's an Amazon link to the ones I am using now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBUE2O
They screw right on, no adapter needed.

I would add that there are default altitude and distance limits set by 3DR in the Solo. .

I might be mixing up aircraft but wasn't the default setting on the solo set to unlimited distance (not elevation) and only limited if you turned on the safety distance feature?

I am not where I can check now but I thought mine out of the box would fly whatever distance I chose.

And @bill wykle the Solo will operate of the same panel as the P3. Same cables and everything.

I will also check when I get home tonight.. I only found the height adjustment on the app and did not see anything with the distance.

I guess I will work my way up to it, but not sure how a lot of you guys can go beyond site with the drones. I supposed I need MUCH more practice.. LOL

Also, Be sure you are adjusting your antennas in the position 3DR recommends. pointed down and at a slight angle. the manual shows you. Also, I purchased a pair of these. I got out to 3300' with them. When I was getting about 7-800' with stock. Also, some other members purchased them after I posted about it and they have had good results too.

Also FYI, I notice I get poorer reception right under the Solo regardless of how well I point the FPVLR. The best reception is 0 deg (if you are elevated) to about 45 deg. So... Going out a bit rather than straight up actually helps.

Also FYI, I notice I get poorer reception right under the Solo regardless of how well I point the FPVLR. The best reception is 0 deg (if you are elevated) to about 45 deg. So... Going out a bit rather than straight up actually helps.

Well regardless of what the controller uses for antennas the bird still has vertical radiators in the Solo landing gear. So the weakest point off the bird is going to be down or directly above you. My experience with distance has shown the Solo does not like height as much as what I am used to flying.

And as I have said before you can get more range going slow as you are not pitching the aircraft forward and pointing the weakest point of antenna (TIP) back at you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
I was at 500-700 feet with the stock antennae. If you move the sticks quickly when you lose connectivity, RTH will not initiate before you regain control.

I bought the FPVLR antennae. Range now is about 2,500 feet, in a very wifi-congested area.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Hi, first post here, new member so Hi to everyone. Planning on getting my Solo right now. can you please suppky the link of the antennas you bought? 3300' seems like the longer range anyone has got with the solo right now (by just changing antennas)?

thank You

Also, Be sure you are adjusting your antennas in the position 3DR recommends. pointed down and at a slight angle. the manual shows you. Also, I purchased a pair of these. I got out to 3300' with them. When I was getting about 7-800' with stock. Also, some other members purchased them after I posted about it and they have had good results too.

Hi, first post here, new member so Hi to everyone. Planning on getting my Solo right now. can you please suppky the link of the antennas you bought? 3300' seems like the longer range anyone has got with the solo right now (by just changing antennas)?

thank You
Welcome.

There are several types out there FPVLR and dbs mods are going to be the long distance ones. Both claiming over 10,000 feet.

thank You

Range is highly dependent on the location you fly in. The more WiFi you encounter the tougher it gets. A relatively quiet area with no obstructions and you should be able to get decent distance stock. The good news is there are a number of options available for upgrades if they're needed.

waoo, than you guys for all very quick and great answers. I guess with such a great community here and people willing to help so fast, I will be spending more time around here.

is there an option to increase range with a more "stock" type antenna? the ones mentioned from Nystrom Productions above seem like a good option but hey, they sure are ugly, hahahahaha. I don't want the remote to loose it looks.

the ones mentioned by Mike on post #7 looks exactly like the stock ones, those are the ones I like, are there any options with these style but that allow to increase range even more?

thank You again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig